Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Driver libraries fail to load for a Java 8u60+ process on Windows 10

Petr_M_
Beginner

This is a pretty bad isseue for all the Minecraft players on Windows 10 with integrated graphics.

Basically, the ig4icd64.dll library will not load (DllMain returns 0 -> LoadLibrary returns NULL) when the javaw.exe file has this in the manifest:

<!-- Windows 10 -->
        <supportedOS Id="{8e0f7a12-bfb3-4fe8-b9a5-48fd50a15a9a}"/>

So I'm assuming some compatibility magic inside the driver went haywire 🙂

You can get the whole investigation so far here:

https://github.com/LWJGL/lwjgl/issues/119

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Michael_C_Intel2
Employee

Hi Petr,

I reviewed the investigation at gihub and CubeTheThird is correct, the GPUs this affects are no longer supported. No driver releases are planned that support HD2000/3000. Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Michael

0 Kudos
Petr_M_
Beginner

I understand, but disagree.

I was never a fan of planned obsolescence, but if you do it, at least do it properly. DO NOT provide a driver for Windows 10 at all, if you do not intend to support it. Now there are people stuck with an unsupported, broken driver, on unsupported hardware, most likely without knowing it. Windows 10 is aggressively pushed by Microsoft. Users misclick one of those Windows 10 popups, or even,  in good faith, click that 'Upgrade Now' or 'Upgrade Later' buttons. And it causes problems.

Or is Microsoft supporting that driver now?

Anyway, I get blamed for it not working, because the 'official' Minecraft launcher bundles an old Java version and uses it to access remote servers - with all the security implications that has. The users do not see that. All they see are cryptic errors.

Every GPU vendor has messy code. I filed issues related to Intel + AMD/NVidia GPUs (switchable graphics, optimus) on their respective support sites and the result so far is silence. So if I can't get the issues fixed from whence they originate, I'll try to fool the drivers into working.

I can't hold it against you, you likely do not influence the company policy when it comes to supporting old products, but this plain sucks.

0 Kudos
Jan_T_1
Beginner
0 Kudos