Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21062 Discussions

Dual monitor setup and one screen flickers

jstano
Beginner

We have dual monitor setup with UHD 610 Driver and this is on the latest available driver for a windows 11 OS.  In the last month, one of the monitors began randomly flickering.  It is always display 2.  We had originally an HDMI to display 1 and vga to display 2 both with identical dell monitors.  Since, I have installed 2 new monitors and changed the cabling to HDMI to display 1 and display port to display 2.  New cables and new monitors and the issue still persists.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.  I have changed the refresh rate of each screen and have had little luck.  Please help if you can, not sure if there was a windows update that started all this.  I have attached the SSU report.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jstano,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I can imagine how frustrating this is for you, it will be a pleasure to assist you on this matter.

To have a better understanding of this problem, I would like to confirm this:

1. Are the old monitors still working?

2. Are you using an adapter or a straight connection?

3. Is the HDMI monitor the only one that flickers? Or, is it the display port monitor?

4. Have you checked this issue with HP?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
jstano
Beginner

Thanks for the follow-up Deivid.

So, it is always display 2 - no matter the port, the cable or the monitor.  After reinstalling the graphics driver for the UHD610, it works for a bit and then flickers a few times here and there and then stays off completely now.  Refresh rate does not help.  I have not tried resolution reduction because that would not be an acceptable solution.

No adapter, straight connection and vga was original problem, no longer using vga.  Now using display port for display 2 and this is the one with issues.  New monitor, new connection, same issue.

I have not yet contacted HP because it seems it is Intel issue since reinstalling the graphics driver helps for a short time.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jstano, 

This follow is to confirm if you had the time to check my previous post and because I want to know if you still have problems with your monitors.

Let me know if you need further support.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jstano, 

I am sorry if this sounds repetitive or annoying, but I would like to confirm if the 2nd display is defective since is the only one giving you trouble. 

1. Is the issue present if you only use the 2nd display?

2. Have you tried a TV or different monitor instead of the 2nd display?

3. Based on your report, you are using the latest customized HP driver and not the Intel generic drivers.

I recommend you confirm if the computer is presenting an issue with the display port connection or if there is a known issue on their site.

I will be waiting for your confirmation. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
jstano
Beginner

No apologies needed!  Thanks for being thorough.

1.  No, the issues goes away if either monitor is used a single display and not 'extend display' for dual monitor.  Either monitor will work steady for single monitor, regardless of connection or cable.

2. Yes, we have tried 3 different monitors.

3. Anything that was installed was installed by windows update.  I have since downloaded the latest drivers from intel support site.  It prompted I needed to refer to manufacturer and that intel driver could not be installed.

It is a dual monitor setup, and no matter what port, cable or monitor is used, display 2 always goes black after a bit and then stays black.  If we turn of 'extend displays', the single display works and it will work for either monitor as default single monitor.

Steps taken thus far...

The original monitor that had worked for years, started flickering a month ago.  We tightened and changed cable first, no luck.  We changed monitor, no luck.  We changed monitor again from a neighboring computer that was working with different PC in a dual monitor setup, no luck.  Updated display drivers, no luck.  Uninstalled display drivers, temporary working, but flickered shortly after.  Updated graphics driver, no luck.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jstano, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello jstano, 

Thanks for your time and collaboration. Based on the investigation and the steps you have taken so far, this does not seem to be a driver-related issue. At this point, my last recommendation is to check this issue with HP for further inspection related to the ports and configuration.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos