Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Dual monitors are not detected properly via a laptop hub: One DP and one HDMI port

JCurr4
Beginner

Hello,

I recently purchased a laptop hub (StarTech.com USB-C dual monitor docking station), with the intention of using it to connect two monitors to my computer. I want to connect it to a Dell XPS13 (9360) laptop with the Intel i7-8550U processor and an Intel UHD 620 graphics card.

I am attempting to connect to two Acer R221Q monitors (each with only HDMI inputs, although the laptop hub just has one HDMI out and one DisplayPort out).

I have been unable to get the laptop to detect both monitors as valid displays. I believe that the problem is somehow related to how the DisplayPort video port on the hub is being interpreted by the computer. The laptop will not detect the monitor connected to this port as a valid display, even when the HDMI port is unplugged. While I must use an adapter to connect to the 2nd monitor, (Display Port out to HDMI) I have attempted to rule out a faulty adapter by trying 3 different adapters from 3 different brands, and all of them had the same results.

I have also noted that under a very specific set of circumstances, the Intel UHD Graphics control panel actually will detect that a second monitor is present, but it still won't let me select it for use. The circumstances that allow this to happen are:

-Connect the laptop to the hub

-Connect a monitor to the HDMI port on the hub and activate it

-Connect another monitor to the hub, using the DisplayPort port

-Go to the DisplayPort Topology screen when prompted

-The 2nd monitor will appear as an icon on this screen, but I can't select it and it won't appear as an option on the multiple displays section of the Intel control panel

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on whether or not this could be a software/driver or configuration-related issue.

Thanks in advance,

-Josh

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Josh_NJ: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Graphics communities. We are sorry to hear that the dual monitor configuration is not working for you.

Based on your description, the problem could be related to the display port to HDMI adapter.

Do you have the option to test the monitor with a different display port to HDMI adapter?

Do you have the option to test a monitor with a display port?

Just for testing purposes, please test the monitor that is not being detected with a straight HDMI connection, from the HUB to the monitor.

If it is possible, also, please test each monitor connected directly to the laptop, without using the HUB or the display port to HDMI adapter?

Also, I found a site that provides some suggestion to try to fix possible problems with the HUB:

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/usb-c-laptop-dock~MST30C2DPPD https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/usb-c-laptop-dock~MST30C2DPPD

We recommend to install the graphics drivers provided by Dell, latest version is 4771, a BIOS update might be a good option to try as well,:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-13-9360-laptop/drivers http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-13-9360-laptop/drivers

On the link below you will find the latest graphics driver for Intel® UHD 620 graphics, version 4849:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27266/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=126789 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27266/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=126789

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
JCurr4
Beginner

Thank you for the reply Alberto.

To answer your troubleshooting questions:

-Using the DisplayPort on the hub, I have tried each of the two monitors with three different DP to HDMI adapters. None of the combinations worked.

-Unfortunately at this time I do not currently have access to a monitor with DisplayPort.

-I have tested both monitors from the HDMI on the hub directly to the monitor, both work fine.

-I cannot connect the HDMI monitors directly to the laptop, because the XPS13 only has one video out port, which is the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port.

I will try the links you proposed, and provide feedback.

Best,

-Josh

0 Kudos
JCurr4
Beginner

So I have now done the following:

-Followed the general suggestions on the hub manufacturer's site

-Updated the currently recommended drivers from Dell, updated the graphics driver per Dell's recommendation, performed a Bios update

-Attempted to update the latest Intel graphics driver from the Intel website, although the update failed (related screenshot below)

After restarting the computer, nothing has been resolved so far.

For additional information, here is a screenshot of what the DisplayPort Topology screen looks like (after I have performed the steps I mentioned in my first post). I cannot select either monitor, and the first one is selected automatically.

Also, here is a screenshot of the website that Intel directed me to when the driver update failed.

Thanks,

-Josh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Josh_NJ: Thank you very much for letting us know those results. Since the problem also could be related to bandwidth, we just wanted to confirm, besides the two monitors connected to the HUB, are there any other devices attached to it?

You mentioned that you tested three different adapters, do you have the option to test an active display port to HDMI adapter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
JCurr4
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

I am not connecting any other devices to the hub besides the two monitors and the laptop.

However, all 3 of the adapters I tried are of the "passive" variety. I will attempt to test the setup using an "active" adapter tonight, and will circle back with the results.

Thanks,

-Josh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Josh_NJ: Perfect, thank you very much for letting us us know that information. Take your time to do the test and once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
JCurr4
Beginner

Hello,

So I had a bit of a delay in obtaining the "active" DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, but it finally came in yesterday. I plugged it in, and the second external monitor was detected immediately, and has been working perfectly fine since. Ensuring that my adapter was using the active (instead of passive) conversion technology was actually all that was needed to resolve the problem.

Thank you very much for the help with this issue.

Best,

-Josh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Josh_NJ: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we are glad to hear the problem got fixed and now the laptop is working properly.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos