Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

External Monitor is Not Being Detected

KLart
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop with Intel HD Graphics 4400 Driver on it (most updated version 20.19.15.4642). It is running Windows 10 64-bit. I've always used it connected to an external monitor to extend my display (one monitor at work and one at home), yet it has stopped being able to detect when a monitor is plugged in through the micro HDMI port. I'm using all of the same equipment (cables, monitors, etc) that I have always used, so I don't believe it is a problem with any of these. It seems to have stopped working after the most recent Windows update that ran about a week ago.

I have tried the windows button + P and selected extend display--it does not do anything. I've tried going into Display Settings and clicking "Detect" to detect another display--this also has not worked. I've also tried installing an older version of the graphics driver... nothing. I've been scanning the web for any kind of help on this and haven't found anything that works... I also contacted Lenovo support and they failed to help me. If anyone thinks the graphics driver isn't the problem here, please let me know so I can focus my efforts elsewhere.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello kelsylar,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please try with the Intel® generic driver, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81497 Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Before installing this driver uninstall the old driver first, please see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver.

Once the driver is uninstall you can install the generic driver manually, please see how to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
KLart
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your response. I have uninstalled the graphics driver, but then when I try installing the generic driver, it loads for a while and then gives me this message:

"Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device.

Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them.

The operation timed out waiting for this device to complete a PnP query-remove request due to a potential hang in the device stack of a related device. The system may need to be rebooted to complete the operation."

I have rebooted and tried this a few more times, but I can't get past this message.

I also wanted to give you an update: I contacted Windows 10 support, and they had me check that the graphics driver was updated. Then they had me do an in-place installation of this latest Windows 10 Creators Update. I've now done it twice with their assistance, and once on my own, and it has not seemed to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
KLart
Beginner

intel_corp Checking that you saw my above reply.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, we have tried this driver with dual monitor set to extended display and there is not issue, in this case, if your system started to fail after the Windows® update then it is possible that it has corrupted your system.

Have you tried a system restore? You can check how to do a system restore here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos
mosti
Beginner

Hi KLart,
What I figured out after lots of similar incidents, is that the standard Windows update is always incompatible with the Intel HD 4400 driver, if you wait for few months after the update you'll find out that this problem will be fixed after few minor Windows auto updates, which is not acceptable for sure especially if you're depending on the second screen, another solution that works sometimes is to restore to a previous windows version just before the major update then uninstall the HD 4400 driver.

I urge Intel team to find a solution for such an issue in the future... please.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You do realize that you are responding to an almost 4-year-old post, right? 

Only two processors with HD Graphics 4400 engine have not been discontinued (and their days are likely numbered). You understand what this means for driver focus, right?

Sadly, Intel has not been ready for *any* of the Windows 10 updates. Wireless has been the biggest disaster.

...S

0 Kudos
mosti
Beginner

Yes, but I'm still using this ThinkPad Laptop, it has what I need except what I'm facing with this issue.

0 Kudos