Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

External display not detected

APere69
Beginner

I am using a HDMI splitter to hook up 2 external displays, image shows up on both duplicated but only 1 display other than the laptop is detected. I've updated the drivers but nothing seems to work. Any help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Using a HDMI splitter, this is exactly what is going to happen. You cannot connect two independent monitors via a single HDMI port. This is a limitation of the HDMI protocol and not an issue with the graphics engine or driver.

If your laptop (also) has a DIsplayPort output or a USB-C connector that supports DisplayPort Alt Mode, you can connect an additional monitor this way. If your laptop has only the HDMI output, your only option for connecting a third monitor is going to be USB.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
APere69
Beginner

So quick follow up then, How do I know if I have Usb-c or thunderbolt? I read about the little lightening symbol but is that really the only way to tell? Also you just saved me $35 ❤️

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello APere69,

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

When using adapters/splitters, graphics issues may occur because their functionality cannot be guaranteed. Cable splitting is not supported on HDMI*.

To connect multiple displays to your computer, please check the following recommendations:

1. Use straight-through connections with a single cables.

Configurations you may try:

HDMI* > HDMI

DisplayPort* (mDP) > DisplayPort *

Mini-DisplayPort* (over USB Type-C) > DisplayPort*

Type C > USB Type C, HDMI*, or DisplayPort*

2. Try using the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) graphics driver available for your computer.

Now, how can you tell if your computer has a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port?

As you were saying, look for the Thunderbolt 3 symbol.

Symbol

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let us know if the issue persists when using straight-through connections.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
APere69
Beginner

Thanks everyone for the feedback, Its not clear to me it is time for me to upgrade to a full blown gaming pc. No more conversion cables and mess.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello APere69,

Were you able to test the configurations recommended?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello APere69,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos