Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

FFmpeg D3D11VA accelarator slow performance

dpei0
Beginner

hi, recently i found that when I use FFmpeg + DXVA2/D3D11VA accelerator to decode H264 1080P video. The performance of D3D11VA is rather slow. to be more specified, the FPS can up to 400+ if use DXVA2, but is < 100 fps when using D3D11VA. I did the comparison on an i7-8700 desktop with UHD630 iGPU. does any one have any insights on this? thanks!

the FFmpeg cmds are:

ffmpeg -hwaccel d3d11va -i input.mp4 -f null -

ffmpeg -hwaccel dxva2 -i input.mp4 -f null -

EDIT: I tried to use vtune to find out the truth, and i did find something. the D3D11 API TID3D11DeviceContext_Map API is causing huge CPU idle, while the DX9 API CdriverSurface::LockRect which I suppose does the samething as TID3D11DeviceContext_Map did a much better job. Attached screenshot is Vtune CPU utilization FYR.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello dpei0,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

It's worth mentioning that the behavior is dependant on driver optimization and Application support.

Have you tried with other applications? (per example Handbrake or others)

Often times apps need for the developers to update them to optimize them for new hardware/technologies.

Regarding the comparison, Intel Customer Support can't comment on benchmarking since every system configuration is different.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello dpei0,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello dpei0,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos