Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

False multiple monitors with intel drivers

JMade4
Novice

I have an Asus UX501J that use Intel HD Graphics 4600. Usually I connect 2 extra monitors. Today I came back to my computer and all displays was in chaos. My main screen was in 4K duplicated with some other screen that do not exist. In total my driver is telling me I have 7 monitors. See my screen dump. No use to update the driver. This is the latest.

126 Replies
idata
Employee

As several have mentioned, this is __killing__ a lot of our production. We understand there are an uncountable multitude of setups your drivers have to contend with but patience only overcomes project deadlines for so long... I'd assume most of us who use Hyper-V on windows are developers and we've all learned how to run a diff please encourage your dev team to do so with the versions we've reported working and the new ones. With Windows 10 updates (as I'm sure you know) we can't just reinstall previous versions and lock them down as easily as in the past which, I guess, is also causing headaches for your team but please, please, please, up the priority on this or at least give us __some__ indication of a timeline. If it will be months more we'd like to be able to find alternatives.

Thanks for the (what is it now? 3+ months?) update.

0 Kudos
PBign
Beginner

I can only agree to that. Most of us here are probably using Hyper-V for Virtualization such as Docker. That's a real pain to have sluggish animations and performances (because of an old intel driver) to be able to use Hyper-V correctly.

0 Kudos
ASimm2
Beginner

Hi, I had been experiencing this issue as well, and reverting to previous version of Intel fixed which I had been using until yesterday, however the latest windows update forced an update to the driver, and also no longer gives me the 'Roll back' option on the driver like it used to. I have tried downloading an older version however it doesn't seem to allow me to install - any suggestions how I can revert? It isn't ideal using an old driver, but at least allowed me to work effectively with Docker, thanks

0 Kudos
ASimm2
Beginner

Hi Roland, any advice you can give me on how to revert to an older driver as per my previous post? thanks

0 Kudos
HHenr4
Beginner

Hi Ron,

I confirm that by removing Hyper-V, uninstalling the driver and rebooting, the issue with the Multiple Monitors goes away and I regain full functionalities in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

I am sure you are absolutely ecstatic about all of us constantly reminding you that Hyper-V is a very important feature for us, however, I am an applications Engineer and I write code in C# , which MUST be tested on a variety of Ecosystems. Not having Hyper-V is really affecting me. I asked my supervisor about buys at least 3 computers to test (WIn7, Win8.1 and WIn10) and he laughed out loud!

*Anything* you can do to increase visibility on this item is greatly appreciated, I am sure you appreciate that Management doesn't care, they just want their objectives met and this is forcing me to work many extra hours.

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos
CClap
Beginner

I am on a Vaio-Z Canvas with Intel Core i7-4770HQ and Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 running Win 10

I am happy to have found this thread and have been struggling with my Phantom monitors for months. Based on the last post above, I disabled Hyper-v and did nothing else:

The good news: I have regained the previously lost graphics control panel and all the phantom monitors.

The bad news: I need virtualization so will have to re enable Hyper-V and suffer with no control panel and 5 6 phantom Monitors.

At least I know the issue, which is better than being in total darkness.

Please add me to those requesting that Intel please resolve this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DGood7
Beginner

I have a dell XPS 15 with the regular consumer release version of Windows 10. I also see this issue when enabling Hyper-V. This has a significant negative impact on my workflow, since I am unable to work with docker containers while the laptop is connected to an external monitor. I would appreciate any update that Intel can provide regarding the status of this issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just wanted to add myself to the list, been having this issue for quite a while now, but didn't attribute it to Hyper-V until today as I had worked out the issue using an older driver. I'm running a Dell M3800 with discrete graphics. It would be nice to have this fixed though.

For those of you on the latest Windows 10 'Creators Update' using Pro and Enterprise, you can install the older driver and then disable driver updates.

Run gpedit.msc and navigate the path below.

Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update / Do not include drivers with Windows Updates (enable)

odee2004
Beginner

It's already 2019 and this issue is not yet solved. We really need docker (requires hyper-v) to work on our machine in our work. Please intel fix this issue.

0 Kudos
TFarn1
Beginner

I can confirm that I too am having this identical issue with Intel HD Graphics 5600 v. 20.19.15.4624. I am trying to enable Hyper V in order to use Docker. Looks like this issue has been ongoing for a very long time.

DChap3
Novice

I can confirm this issue too. Disabling Hyper-V is not an option so I'm currently using the 4463 driver.

RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all your patience.

I would like to confirm that we already have a fix in place for this issue. This is scheduled to be included in the next 15.40 driver release, but I regret to confirm that I don't have an ETA yet.

As soon as I have more information I'll post it here.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

DS8
Beginner

Subscribing to this thread as I also have the same issue with Hyper-V and Intel Graphics 4600.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any word on ETA. Getting the updated driver seems more urgent as using old drivers leave us open to DOS attack :

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00077&languageid=en-fr Intel® Product Security Center

Please advise

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I came to the party a bit late since I delayed all Windows 10 Anniv. updates but some people have been dealing with this fiasco just shy of a year. I feel for them and for you. But, as someone who came in late I was able to read posts, threads and Q&As from various sites and thought to myself

But then I remembered all those humanities courses and mentally replaced that image with

But lately it has been feeling more like

and I am truly hoping that we see some movement or here a sound before we get Windows Fall Creators or meet up with this guy

0 Kudos
HHenr4
Beginner

Hi Ron,

Sept /12 /2017

Since the fix is already in place for the next 15.40 driver release, would Intel be willing to consider releasing a Beta driver for those of us who are DYING out here? Maybe just post it in this Forum? I understand that by installing a Beta Driver I assume all risks and that Intel has zero liability. I just need to get this going.

Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
THein2
Novice

Hey there!

It is really a long time already - would highly also appreciate a Beta Release for the driver.

0 Kudos
SHübn
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

I'm facing the same issue with a Fujitsu Laptop with built-in Intel HD 4600 graphics (no dedicated graphics). I need to run the Hyper-V role for my business, but due to the bug discussed here I'm not able to do so.

Are there any updates about when a new driver that resolves the issue can be expected?

Thanks,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
MMill23
Beginner

Everyone in our company facing the same problem... (around 10 developers).

In order to use docker in windows we need to enable hyper-v, but with that intel graphic card it created some fake screens.

I have 3 real screens here and after a reboot I could not see the login screen. Just 3 screens with my wallpapers.. the login screen was visible on one of these "fake" screens.

I solved that problem by disabling all these fake screens: just select that screen and select "disconnect from this screen" (or something like that, I am using German windows)

0 Kudos
THein2
Novice

MilMike:

If you delete / disconnect all these fake monitors, and you connect your machine to a beamer / TV, are these fake monitors staying away?

In other word: Does connecting different monitors work without problems?

0 Kudos
Mde_W2
Beginner

On the subject of disabling the fake monitors - I ran like that for a while, but at some point plugging my laptop into a projector made the driver think the projector was represented by dual-screens 5 & 7, despite disabling and re-enabling I had no option but to roll back the drivers. It became impossible to share display with actual secondary screens.

I guess if you have only a static setup, and don't connect / disconnect external displays, then disabling screens may go some way towards living with this bug.

0 Kudos