Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Feature Request - implement EDID override

idata
Employee

Hello,

it would be nice if the Intel Graphics driver would support overriding EDID information like described in this document from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330

Why is this needed?

In a common HTPC (multimedia PC) setup with a PC, AVR (audio video receiver) and a television, the EDID information stored in the receiver & television that is passed to the PC determines the video and audio capabilities like: supported resolutions, supported audio formats etc ..

The problem is that very often the system only "sees" the EDID information of the television, and not that of the receiver, and so you don't get support for audio formats like DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD that are supported by the receiver ...

The latest Sandy bridge CPU and corresponding chipset support all these sound standards, but they often not useable cause of these EDID problems.

Actually it really does not matter what video card / integrated graphics you use, NVidia and AMD graphics have the same problem, but their drivers

allows people to override the EDID information like is described in the above linked document from Microsoft.

Please implement this stuff, shouldn't be that hard to do, for one of you senior driver programmers it's probably just a few hours of work ...

Thank you

Christian

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

182 Replies
ccLic1
Novice

By the way, I've struggled with trying to do the same thing (custom res/ EDID override) on Linux for the past 2 days to no avail. Closest I've come to is the display flashing black for a second and the OS being fooled that the resolution and refresh rate had actually changed (even to ridiculous values like 100Hz on a cheap 60Hz laptop panel) although it kept displaying 60Hz as before. I've heard a few mentions that it is possible on Linux eventhough it's broken on Windows. Did it ever work? Is it broken on Linux now too? Does anybody know more about this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It does work on Linux. Look for my thread where I share how to achieve it.

Remember, it depends on hardware support of your monitor and cable.

ccLic1
Novice

3 weeks later...

0 Kudos
HRoma1
Beginner

Yes, that's the problem. Maybe we can bump this discussion EVERY DAY and get their attention? I don't understand why INTEL ignore.

ccLic1
Novice

Welp, might as well.

4 years 4 months 15 days 14 hours 27 minutes have passed between the thread start and this very post.

Also, I'm not entirely sure but doesn't lack of support for EDID overrides mean that these drivers fail to adhere to WDDM specifications?

0 Kudos
AH1
Beginner

4 years 4 months 18 days.

EEmm
Beginner

FWIW, I registered just to bump this thread up.

I am facing the audio sync loss issue with my Yamaha AVR and LG TV.

Frustrating, having to restart multiple times.

Even more frustrating to know Intel is ignoring this known issue for so long.

ARose6
Novice

Any updates yet?

Has anyone successfully overridden the EDID on a laptop with Intel graphics (or Intel + Nvidia's/AMD's dedicated GPU) yet so that the Intel graphics respect/recognize the overridden EDID? I guess on Linux it is somehow possible.

But on Windows?

TSchr1
Beginner

Yet another bump.

This is ridiculous; the only way around this, provided you aren't running a non-windows OS, is to reflash the display's firmware.

Every other major graphics manufacturer's drivers respects EDID overrides, yet Intel still doesn't. At this point this is not a feature request and more of a bug fix.

EDIT: Changed wording in case it wasn't obvious what I was referring to by EDID overrides

MLee58
Novice

I have also joined the forums just to help continue to bump this thread. Intel, please do the right thing.

0 Kudos
ccLic1
Novice

0 Kudos
LJaco5
Beginner

Any possibility of getting an update as to where we stand with this request at the moment?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi All,

I'm still championing this for you. Realize that this is currently expected behavior, so it's not a bug, it's a change request for an added feature. I'm continuing to advocate this through the process. It may not seem like it would be much work-effort to approve, but there are a lot of moving parts to consider in every change that is made to our software that covers so many different components; every component owner needs to be involved on changes like this, and all need to be aligned. So, we're not there, no promises, but communication is in process and no one has denied the request again so that's positive.

For some perspective as well, meant as humbly as possible, our drivers support billions of products, which vary in architecture, so keeping issue count for the masses to a minimum is a finely tuned process with a lot of strategy involved to ensure one fix doesn't break another (or the whole thing). I know this feature is important to all on this thread and I'm sure many others who haven't yet commented, though our commitment is to keep the drivers as solid as possible for as many of the billions of products they support. A major change, well even little changes, that can potentially cause harm to the stability of products for billions are not decided on lightly. Ample justification is typically needed even when major OEM's request little changes. Less than 20k people have viewed this thread since 2011, there's only 94 replies, some from the same people, which is not representative of the majority. That said, engineering IS still looking into feasibility of this request because we DO value the feedback of our users, (AND I'm doing such a great job keeping it out in front of them) so if it makes sense and it's feasible we'll see what is decided. So please stay tuned and I'll update back when there's something of value to inform you of.

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

"Realize that this is currently expected behavior, so it's not a bug"

Just because it is expected does not automatically mean it can't be a bug... My display is rated @ 75hz yet I can't run it at this because of the missing "feature". If I had AMD or Nvidia hardware I could run my display to it's actual specifications (as it should be). This is just one small example, if you look through various forums around the internet many more people have issues related to EDID overrides.

So I would argue that this is indeed a bug, just give the users SOME way of achieving this. It could be through third party applications, driver hacks, anything. As for the numbers, most people just shrug it off and live with the issues, not many people know of these forums, and quite frankly Intel is not really consumer friendly when it comes to these sorts of things.

An "easy" solution could be to just support the EDID overrides at the driver level and pass off the rest of the work to other developers, this would protect the average user from "harming" their own equipment from changing something they shouldn't have in the graphics panel.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/thread-custom-resolution-utility-cru http://www.monitortests.com/forum/thread-custom-resolution-utility-cru

This utility already does the work, the developer has stated many times "Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides" which is why he does not support Intel setups.

So why not just add the support in and pass off the rest to someone else? That way only advanced used would be able to change what is needed while the average user would not even know these options existed.

At this point I am just shooting out random suggestions because I have almost no faith that anything will be done, I simply want to run my display at 75hz. 😕

safas
Beginner

I have the same problem with my 4k Panasonic.

It is connected via MST displayport (3840x2160@60Hz/50Hz/24Hz). Intel is incapable to fix the driver since one and a half year now!

And that's definitely "a bug".

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

ZacharyS

Our driver reads what the panel sends in the EDID. If the panel sends the wrong EDID or the EDID is corrupted/lost along its path being reported to our driver then we won't show the missing modes and won't enable them. This is functioning as designed so panels don't get pushed to settings that aren't supported and either get unrecoverable blackscreen or harm the panel.

If your EDID is stating 75Hz is supported and our driver reads it and is still not supporting it, then this could be a bug. I'd ask, please provide your EDID by opening CUI>Options & Support>Information Center>Save = paste the file in your reply. You too Seppdog. Please also offer your cable being used (DP to DP or converter?) (Brand?), also provide your PC brand/model if applicable (DT or laptop?) and the connection path you're using. (Ex: Brand/Model> connected via DP>DP cable to <<em>AVR-Brand/model> connected via HDMI>DP cable into home built DT <<em>mobo-Brand/model>)

Please provide the above as a minimum.

To be even more helpful, please provide the table below filled out completely. Really appreciate it guys.

Table - https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

0 Kudos
safas
Beginner

Have a look at this thread ( ). There are all informations from the year 2014.

The TV is connected directly with a DP cable. I have tested the same setup with other graphic cards and they are working correctly.

0 Kudos
pevan2
Novice

To throw some oil on the fire. Windows 8.1 Intel i7 4700EQ connected to a big Sharp 4K monitor. Latest driver when I built the image was I think , win64_153628.4332.exe

Turn it off, display disappears. start playing content, turn display on and ignore the WM_OHNOTHEMONITORHASCHANGED and foom, all memory disappears in less than 20 minutes. How about that for an awesome leak, the memory disappears *somewhere* This doesn't happen if you reboot with the monitor turned on.

EDID is a nightmare, and that is before you even mention the catastrophe that is HOT PLUG on Display Port. Yes, it may be the next best thing, No, stop going away when I change the input to something else!

And then people wonder why IBASE are building in EDID emulators...

0 Kudos
MLee58
Novice

Bryce,

Of course there are many more users that would like this feature--but most people know that a major corporation is not going to listen to what their users want. From Intel's perspective--why do this? There aren't people rioting outside headquarters, and you guys know that AMD (at one time your biggest competition) is largely irrelevant in this day and age. Obviously this issue has not and will not affect Intel's business in any measurable way. At this point what most people would appreciate more is an honest answer--which I can guess is, 'No, we're not going to add this feature". To continually string along people on this forum is sort of an insult to the people asking for this change. At some point a decision needs to be made.

JCorn6
Beginner

Have an ASUS vg248 connected via HDMI 1.4b that should be able to get 1080p 120hz, but cannot because of this. So glad I spent $60 on this cable and $300 on this monitor.

0 Kudos
EKwok4
Beginner

i was new to use nuc6i5 as HTPC. After I install the custom EDID inf, I was get blank screen after switch the refresh rate every time. I need to uninstall the driver to become normal. I would like to know the reason and how to fix it? I haven't this issue in my previou PC with Raedon display.

0 Kudos