Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Fluctuating clocks/power when idle

Lukaswe
Beginner
I have an issue with Nvidia GPU (GTX 1060)being constantly used by or rather pinged by "something". Spikes happens ever two seconds. it all started recently when I installed newest non-OEM Intel GPU (UHD 630)drivers for the first time and since that moment i have this spikes. I reinstalled windows multiple times, did ddu drivers reinstall and can't fix it. In task manager i can see constant GPU 1 copy engine in use by system. Anyone ever had similar issue?

Things i have tried so far: multiple windows reinstalls, different drivers configurations for both Intel GPU and Nvidia GPU (OEM from Acer site/stock) commands like DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow different power settings, Nvidia control panel settings of preferred GPU, windows settings like game mode etc... Tons of virus/malware scans, tracking GPU usage with process explorer and GPU shark (tracked cross.exe and dwm.exe to be using Nvidia GPU) usage is usually 0% up to 4% it never goes any higher but each spike i waking up Nvidia GPU from idle. I have this laptop for 2 years and never experienced this problem before, even tho i constantly check on temps and usage of cpu/GPU in predator sense.
As far as I know hierarchy is Nvidia gpu--> Intel --> laptops display, and it all started when I installed newest dch drivers for UHD 630. Now I can't get rid of this issue even after installing correct OEM drivers...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Lukaswe

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  Please share with us the following information:

• When you reinstalled Windows, did you try with a new image? (fresh install)
  • Does this happen with a specific driver version?
  • If you tested different drivers please list their versions
  • Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 
    • Download the Intel SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows
    • Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
    • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
    • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Lukaswe
Beginner
I did everything that was possible, but after i though that issue is gone my Nvidia GPU started to show artifacts whenever in use. I ordered new laptop. That fixed my issues.
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

David G.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We are glad to know you found a solution, since the thread is solved we will close it now.  

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,  

David G  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos