Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20727 Discussions

Follow-up - Occasional issues on apps running via integrated graphics on my Acer Nitro 5

Murilo211205
Beginner

This topic is a follow-up of my previous one (https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Occasional-issues-on-apps-running-via-integrated-graphics-on-my/m-p/1451177#M113483).

All issues have returned after an NVIDIA Game Ready driver update through GeForce Experience.

The best way to know if issues returned is to execute the Basemark browser benchmark, since whenever that happens, Intel's driver crashes in the WebGL part, returning an error at the end.

Before the driver update, I could pass the test normally, as I had reinstalled Chrome and all my Chromium-based programs, which had solved all issues.

After the Game Ready driver update was done, they returned.

Looks like there are some incompatibilities between Intel and NVIDIA's drivers.

I also suffered from a similar problem in my previous laptop, a Samsung Expert X50 with an Intel Core i7-8565U and an NVIDIA MX110. Whenever I updated my NVIDIA drivers, I would get Intel's driver to randomly crash sometimes when using Chrome. It happened less intensely though.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Murilo211205

Thank you for your understanding. Answering your question there were no crashes, flickering, or distortions, in BaseMark, we only saw the error message once the testing is completed (see attached) on now of the systems we tested. This is why is better to report the issue to that app developer.

Since the support will continue with the manufacturer of your system we will be closing this thread. We appreciate the information and feedback that you have provided to the community.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner

Yes? Have you read my last reply and whole context of this post? Of course I still need assistance... Where's Hugo?

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for the detailed information.

My apologies, there was an issue where I was unable to see the last reply with the update.

Hugo is currently unavailable, and I will keep working with you until he is back.

As for now, I will review the information you posted in your last response along with all the steps performed so far and get back to you as soon as I have an update and/or next steps to perform.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner

No problem. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Murilo211205

Thank your patience and the information that you provided in your previous post. There is an important test that has not been performed yet and that is if this issue happens on an external monitor. I understand that you previously mentioned that you don't have an external screen, however, I would like to confirm if this is completely not a possibility for you. You can try to test on a TV or monitor as we would like to confirm if the issues can be replicated in that scenario as the issue might be related to the laptop's screen itself and its ability to communicate with the driver which we would not be able to totally fix through regular troubleshooting.

Please let us know if this is a possibility for you.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner

Hello Hugo! Welcome back! How are you doing?

I have tested on my TV (I thought you were talking about monitors only), and none of the issues occurred, because the HDMI port is controlled by the NVIDIA GPU, which means everything displayed via HDMI is being rendered and totally managed by NVIDIA's driver and GPU.

It's pretty much the same behavior as setting the NVIDIA GPU as the primary GPU for the system in Windows'/NVIDIA's Control Panel while using the laptop's screen, like I tried earlier.

If this is the case of some sort of incompatibility from the laptop's screen with Intel's driver, or something that cannot be fixed through any kind of software update, it would be great if Intel could contact laptop manufacturers about this, since it's nearly impossible to do it on my end. Acer support isn't good, I would never get anywhere by contacting them. I'm from Brazil, and their local support here most likely can't escalate things to the people responsible for the design of their laptops. I'm also sure they aren't interested in "recalling" their laptops with this screen, much money involved.

I generated a hardware report using HWiNFO and attached it to this reply. It says that my laptop's screen model is B156HAN08.4. Hope this information helps somehow.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Murilo211205

I am doing great, thank you for asking. Hope you are doing well too.

In regard to this issue, please let us check this internally to determine the next possible steps. I will get back to you as soon as I get more information. I appreciate your patience throughout all the troubleshooting that you have performed so far.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner

Yes, I am fine. 🙂

Okay. I hope to hear from you soon.

Are you going to try to reproduce this case in a laptop with the same specifications as mine?

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Murilo211205

Based on the troubleshooting and all the information that has been shared on this thread and after checking this issue internally the best next steps will be to get in contact with the Original Equipment Manufacturer, so they can inspect the hardware and this issue further. As the laptops are pretty customized at a hardware level it would be better for them to they a further look as the manufacturer of the system.

We appreciate your understanding as well as all the information you shared on the thread.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner

Hugo, I told you, I cannot accept that as a solution.

Acer obviously isn't going to analyze my case at all by my contact. And you know that!

Intel, as a hardware supplier for Acer, probably has the contact of the right people to check this case out, if it's actually a widespread hardware (screen/iGPU) problem with this particular laptop model. 

Many people who are having the same issues can be blaming Intel thinking to be their fault.

Also, you haven't at any moment shown that you even tried to reproduce this case.

I've seen in many posts here that this is totally possible, and is usually done by Intel, on computers with the same specifications as the OP. You could at least try to run the Basemark test on a 11th gen. CPU computer to check if the driver crashes or anything.

I'm being persistent because this pretty much seems like a driver issue. If you prove to me to have done the proper testing, I'll just accept to go ahead and contact Acer.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Murilo211205

Thank you for your feedback, I understand that this is important for you as the issue has been running for some time. Allow me to check what other options we have for this. I will post back as soon as I have the information for you.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Murilo211205

We really appreciate your patience. We understand that experiencing technical difficulties can be frustrating and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We have made every effort to replicate the issue on hardware similar to yours, including a laptop and desktop system. However, we were unable to reproduce the distortion on the screen that you are experiencing. We did encounter a similar error message on the BaseMark benchmark during our testing, but only on the desktop system that we built.

As we previously advised, we recommend that you continue to work with your system manufacturer to inspect or replace any hardware that may be causing the issue. Additionally, we suggest that you report the BaseMark error to the app developer for further investigation.

We truly appreciate all the information and feedback you have provided.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner

Hey Hugo.

Thank you for all the efforts in this case. 

Did at least the driver crash occur while executing the Basemark test?

Since it seems like you have done everything possible on your end, I guess I'll move forward and contact Acer.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Murilo211205

Thank you for your understanding. Answering your question there were no crashes, flickering, or distortions, in BaseMark, we only saw the error message once the testing is completed (see attached) on now of the systems we tested. This is why is better to report the issue to that app developer.

Since the support will continue with the manufacturer of your system we will be closing this thread. We appreciate the information and feedback that you have provided to the community.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner
0 Kudos
Jason21
Beginner

It seems that there are compatibility issues between Intel and NVIDIA drivers, causing occasional issues when running apps that use integrated graphics. The user has experienced similar problems in the past with a previous laptop. After updating the NVIDIA Game Ready driver, the issues have returned. The user suggests that running the Basemark browser benchmark is the best way to know if the issues have returned, as it causes Intel's driver to crash in the WebGL part and return an error at the end.

0 Kudos
Murilo211205
Beginner
Indeed. But the problem I had in my previous laptop was totally different, I found out it isn't related at all to my current case.
0 Kudos