Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Fortnite Driver issues above 8476 Intel HD 620

Shanthosh
Beginner

Hello I have an i3-7100u, and I am trying to run fortnite on my computer. Using driver 8476  or older has no problems. However any newer drivers, has intense stutter whenever something new happens, however I am able to reach a much higher fps. For example, standing still I reach 100 fps, I move and my game freezes for about 5 seconds. I take out my shotgun, game freezes for 5 seconds, shoot, freeze for 5 seconds, do literrally anything new, game freezes for 5 seconds. but it only happens once. Once an action is loaded, it is smooth doing that same action again. Viewing this from task manager, cpu and gpu usage drop to near zero whenever the freeze happens, and hdd usage shoots to 100%. Which leads me to believe it is leading me to believe that it is loading entities on demand from the hdd. So I tried my friends PC with similar specs and a ssd and no such issues exist. I also thought it was maybe due to the page file, So i disabled it and tried it crashed as soon as I went into a game, saying graphics driver crashed, despite having plenty of ram(12gb dual channel). I then set it to a really low number like 256, and it worked great, for about a minute before crashing with the same error. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am happy to provide any information. Also something worth mentioning is that this issue is not specific to fortnite, but also happens in my other games, such as valorant and league of legends. I have tried various windows versions, such as 1709,1909,1803,2004,20h1,21h1. I am ok with fresh installing to test anything as i dont have any data, I just want to play games on this machine. Settings are all low,720p with 70% resolution scaler. performance mode.

Full specs are:-

hp-13u131tu

i3-7100u 2.4GHz

1TB 5400rpm HDD

12gb ram 2133hz (8+4 dualchannel)

Intel HD 620

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Shanthosh

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding this behavior, we would like to recommend the following steps in case you haven't tried them yet:

1- Try using the Intel® recommended settings available on Gameplay -Intel for the Intel® Core™ i3-7100U Processor and the game Fortnite*

2- Check if the problem you are experiencing has already been reported to the game developers or your original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

We recommend checking the game forums, official fan sites, and official support sites. These web resources can help you troubleshoot and correct issues you encounter with a specific game. For instance, checking support articles like this one: Troubleshooting low frame rate (FPS) in Fortnite*

3- Check with the game developer if there are updates or patches available for your game. They may also help to confirm if your system meets the minimum/recommended requirements to run the game. You may check this article for more details: Low performance or system freeze with a game or a graphics demanding application.

4- Confirm there are no BIOS or Operating System updates missing. Check with the computer manufacturer (HP* Support) for BIOS updates and instructions on how to apply them.

5- Unfortunately, we are missing details about the specific drivers that you have tested. In case you already tested with the latest customized driver provided by HP* (version 22.20.16.4836 Rev.C*) and the latest Intel® generic stable graphics driver (version 27.20.100.9466), we recommend testing the latest BETA driver, version 30.0.100.9667. Please note this is a BETA driver targeted for testing of the changes indicated in the ReleaseNotes. It includes "shadow corruption fixes in Fornite on a different graphics controller", but we can give it a try.

For proper instructions to update the driver, please follow the article How to Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*. As an alternative, you may also try Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows®.

6- Please follow steps # 3 and # 4 in the following article to check the power plan settings and to turn off the Windows Game Bar and Game DVR for testing purposes (if applicable): How to Fix Stuttering Issues While Gaming.

7- Regarding the behavior with Valorant* and especially when you said "Using driver 8476 or older has no problems (...) when tested on another PC using an SSD no such issues exist", it is worth mentioning that Intel has been unable to replicate this issue on multiple systems using different processors and integrated graphics and our latest generic DCH drivers. This issue is being discussed on this Community thread

Users comment that rolling back to driver 27.20.100.8476 seems to address performance while others have reported the issue goes away when switching from a mechanical hard drive to a Solid State Drive (SSD). For more details, please review this article Frame Rate Issues with Valorant on Driver Version 27.20.100.8587 or Higher.

If the behavior persists, please report back the outcome of the steps and provide us with the following information:

A- Step-by-step instructions for replication purposes. Feel free to share a short video if possible.

B-Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link. If you use external monitors to play the games, make sure the monitors in question are connected to the computer when generating the report.

C- An Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Shanthosh

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Shanthosh

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos