Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Frequent crashes in FFXII PC with i7-1165g7

Zeebastion
Beginner

I'm experiencing frequent crashes as well as noticeable flickering in full screen menus. I have tried the stable, the beta, and my manufacturer's driver for my laptop. Crashes occur in windowed, full screen borderless, and full screen modes, even on lowest settings and at 720p. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Zeebastion

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you tested 3 different drivers: Intel® generic latest driver (stable version 27.20.100.9466 and BETA version 30.0.100.9667), as well as the customized driver provided by your computer manufacturer (OEM) HP*: 27.20.100.8935 Rev.B. Just to make sure, are those the specific driver versions that you tested?

Also, when trying each of those drivers, did you just install the drivers by overriding the current one, or did you perform a clean installation?

If you haven't tried the latter, we recommend trying Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows®, and please report back the outcome. Please try the process using first the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver from HP* 27.20.100.8935 Rev.B; and as a second option, you may repeat the process using the Intel® Generic driver for Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics 27.20.100.9466.

If the behavior persists and once a clean installation has been performed, please provide the following information so we can check this further:

1- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (for instance, Windows®, driver, or game updates?)

3- We understand that the issue is happening only when you are on the menus, is this correct? Do you mean there are no issues while playing? Could you please elaborate more on this?

4- Is this happening with the built-in display and/or on an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI)?

5- Have you also checked with the game developers for more assistance? Have you made sure the game is up to date?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Zeebastion
Beginner

Andrew, thank you for the instructions on how to clean install. I tried all linked to drivers while disconnected from the internet, making sure to continue to uninstall until I saw the basic microsoft adaptor. I was able to play longer with the driver from intel's site, but the game still crashed while playing.  

1. It's existed since I've owned the computer. 

2. Nothing I've changed has made the problem any better. A custom profile in command center caused the game to crash on launch. 

3. The biggest issue is the crashing during gameplay. Full screen menus have visible flickering, which is a smaller issue. 

4. It happens whether I am using the integrated panel, using an external monitor with the integrated panel disabled, or in extended or mirrored modes with an external monitor. 

5.  I have checked for updates via steam, verified game files, uninstalled and reinstalled the game via steam. I have opened a ticket with square-enix and tried all troubleshooting steps they suggested. 

I have not had the game crash like this on my i5-6600k/HD 530 Desktop. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Zeebastion

Thank you for your response and for all the details provided. Please allow us to look into this and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Zeebastion

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you that the crashing issue may be resolved by following these steps:

1- Remove FFXII_TZA.exe from the game library in Intel® Graphics Command Center.

2- Use Regedit (Windows* Registry Editor) to delete the profile binary created in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\Display\igfxcui\3D for FFXII_TZA.exe

To access the Windows* Registry Editor:

• On the keyboard, press the WinLogo key + R.
  • In the Run box please type Regedit and hit Enter.

3- Perform a  Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows® using the latest Intel® generic driver for Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics version: 30.0.100.9684.

Note: During the process, please make sure all steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Zeebastion
Beginner

I followed the above instructions. 2D HUD/menu elements still flicker, and the game still crashes during gameplay. I captured a video - you cannot see the 2D element flickering in the videos. This issue does not exist on my 6600K HD 530 desktop. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Zeebastion

Thank you for your response.

We can confirm that we tested this and after following those steps we no longer experience this problem. Since you are using an OEM system this could be related to that fact. We recommend testing/trying again the steps and reviewing that there is no firewall or anti-virus software active in your environment during this test that might be affecting the outcome.

At this point, we can confirm from our end that after following those steps we no longer replicate (experience) the problem.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Zeebastion
Beginner

I just want to check - I reported two issues at the same time. One of them was granted a  bug ID #14014596564 - It caused the game to crash at launch. This issue was crashes during gameplay, which were unrelated to that bug. 

Were you ever able to reproduce crashing during gameplay like in the video?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Zeebastion

Thank you for your response.

We understand that the issue persists. In regards to this behavior, for testing purposes let's try setting a different TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) value in the registry. Please follow these steps:

1. Open Windows* Registry 'regedit.exe' and search this key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers REG_DWORD, TdrDelay
  2. Change the value to 0x00000020
  3. Make a note of the original value in case you want to go back to the previous configuration
  4. Restart the system after the change and try the game again.

Please let us know the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Zeebastion

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Was the outcome different/better?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Zeebastion
Beginner

Andrew, sorry for the belated reply. It did not seem to make a difference. I discovered the game is making 2GB dump files when it crashes like this, so I have opened another ticket with Square-Enix. 

Thank you for continuing to look at this - this is my favorite game of all time and it looks amazing for the short time it runs. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Zeebastion

Thank you for your response and we are glad to know that you have contacted the game developer to review this further. We will keep the thread open and please feel free to post back any additional detail, test, solution, or information that you may receive from the other ticket with the developer.

We will keep monitoring this thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Zeebastion
Beginner

Andrew, I wanted to let you know that under Linux (ubuntu 21.04, steam linux client, proton-experimental), the game runs without graphics glitches (flickering of 2d elements), and did not crash during the hour that I played it. 

I have not yet heard back from square-enix. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Zeebastion

Thank you for your patience in this matter and also for the feedback about the behavior when using Linux UBUNTU*.

We would like to inform you that we have filed bug ID: 14014951034 in regards to this issue (crashes during gameplay) and it is assigned to our driver developer team. We will be posting any updates or news in this community thread.

Having said that, we would like to know if you are ok with us closing this case now that the bug is in debug's queue. Please kindly let us know your thoughts and if you agree to this.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Zeebastion
Beginner

Closing this issue is fine. If possible, please add something to the ticket to let the driver team know that overall I am very impressed with their work and look forward to the DG2 launch.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Zeebastion

Thank you very much for your response. As per your request, we will proceed to close the case now. Thank you for your feedback, it is really appreciated it and we will share it with the team.

It has been a pleasure to assist you with this request.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos