Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Full RGB quantization range over Displayport - the issue is still here after 2 years

dimedrol
Beginner

Long story short: Intel Graphics 520 (applies to other integrated GPUs too), an OLED TV, a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. The Graphics Command Center does not allow to choose Quantization Range, the option is hidden for every interface type other than HDMI on purpose. The actual outcome is: it is impossible to get Full RGB using a DisplayPort to HDMI or any other adapter. The Quantization Range option in the Video tab is visible, but only applies to videos  and does nothing to the output range on one's desktop, in the browser, in games, etc. An old driver from 2019 has the missing Quantization Range switch (according to Intel, due to a bug) and it allows to choose Full RGB and get the correct colors. 

My question is: why is it that Intel keeps closing threads and tickets about the issue, marking them as resolved when the problem still exists and can be easily reproduced by anybody with a non-HDMI connection?

5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

dimedrol, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to the Quantization Range feature, in the links below, you will find all the details on why in this specific case with the configuration that you are using it is normal and expected for the option not to be available, which is basically because you are working with "a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058671/graphics.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029572/graphics.html

Within those links above, you will also be able to see other links that will be related to this matter and that suggest alternatives that might be helpful in order to use the Quantization Range option.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
dimedrol
Beginner

Exactly what other support people have been repeating as a mantra. But hear me out please just this once: THIS DOES NOT WORK. And instead of repeating the mantra over and over for two years straight, please try to reproduce the issue by yourselves. Again, just to make sure I am understood: NOTHING, LITERALLY NOTHING helps to enable Full RGB when using a Display Port to HDMI adapter (and reportedly other adapters as well), people who suggest the solutions above never really tried them in the scenario I describe. Also on the contrary to how we hear that the Quantization Range option did not work for DisplayPort and was thus removed - it works excellent with Display port to HDMI adapters to this day of which I am a living witness.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

dimedrol, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to let you know, in the links provided previously it says those are things that you can try, it did no assure or guaranteed that they will work with all the different platforms around the world.

Still, we will do further research on this matter and on your remarks, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello dimedrol, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, it is important to mention that the Intel® Graphics Command Center application still doesn't offer the option to configure the Quantization Range when using non-native HDMI video outputs.

Intel® is constantly working on improvements for the Intel® Graphics Command Center, thus we will need time to get this feature in place, and actually, we are already working on it, however, there is no specific time frame yet. In that case, we will now proceed to close the case since there is nothing else from our side to recommend except for waiting. Once the feature is ready, it will be informed via a post on our Intel® Graphics Community Support:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/bd-p/graphics

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Krapotke
Beginner

Hi Support, I know you're the least that are responsible on what is going on in the development.

But I've heard writing unspecific answers to customers with no time plan whatsoever will definitely lead to resolving an issue and won't be forgotten by anyone, which will be resolved immediately by the developer team ;D Just kidding...

What I don't understand, what is so difficult to add a feature, which was already available?! I rather think you don't want it to be supported in your software! Are there license fees, which come with this feature or what?

Can you give a concrete explanation, why this feature has been ditched out and why it is so difficult to re-add from a developers perspective? This would help understanding your side.

I think with the increasing amount of USB-C adapters (which are needed for every Laptop with no HDMI Ports) and Display Port devices, the consumers are dependent on this feature. Although the majority of users doesn't care and uses its displays with limited quantization range, which will steal them around 15% of contrast, without even bothering. Wasted potential for every Laptop user in combination with Intel Graphics and USB-C, but buying a Monitor with HDR and all extras. Thats so sad 😞

0 Kudos