Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21073 Discussions

GMA 3150 driver fails to install, Windows 7

NDiam
Beginner

The Intel driver installer for GMA3150 says:

Error

An unknown error has occured.

Setup will exit.

on Windows 7 Starter (32 bit) with SP1.

Looking in the log file, the Intel driver installer for GMA3150 contains an obsolete version of difxapi.dll.

Windows 7 SP1 or other Windows Update already installed a newer version of difxapi.dll in the System32 directory.

Intel's installer fails because it can't overwrite Microsoft's newer version by Intel's older version.

Here's part of the log from the installer downloaded from LG's support site:

Copy File Source = D:\LG X200\VGA-Win7 VGA driver for LG Notebook.(Ver.8.14.10.1972)\GRAPHICS\difxapi.dll

Copy File Destination = C:\Windows\system32\difxapi.dll

Copy file error (5) on source = D:\LG X200\VGA-Win7 VGA driver for LG Notebook.(Ver.8.14.10.1972)\GRAPHICS\difxapi.dll. Trying again.

Copy file error (5) on source = D:\LG X200\VGA-Win7 VGA driver for LG Notebook.(Ver.8.14.10.1972)\GRAPHICS\difxapi.dll. Trying again.

!!! ERROR 0x5: CopyFile generated an unexpected error.

[...]

!!! ERROR 0x5B4: DriverPackageInstall generated an unexpected error

Here's the log from the latest installer downloaded from Intel's web site

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=gma3150 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=gma3150

This one is less informative so I copy everything.

>>> 6/10/2015 07:21:52:653

[Installer]

Installer Version: 1.1.36.0

Date Compiled = Thu Feb 4 10:54:15 2010

Commandline =

[Resources]

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\ARA\HDMIARA.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\CHS\HDMICHS.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\CHT\HDMICHT.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\CSY\HDMICSY.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\DAN\HDMIDAN.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\DEU\HDMIDEU.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\ELL\HDMIELL.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\ENU\HDMIENU.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\ESP\HDMIESP.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\FIN\HDMIFIN.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\FRA\HDMIFRA.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\HEB\HDMIHEB.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\HUN\HDMIHUN.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\ITA\HDMIITA.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\JPN\HDMIJPN.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\KOR\HDMIKOR.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\NLD\HDMINLD.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\NOR\HDMINOR.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\PLK\HDMIPLK.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\PTB\HDMIPTB.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\PTG\HDMIPTG.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\RUS\HDMIRUS.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\SKY\HDMISKY.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\SLV\HDMISLV.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\SVE\HDMISVE.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\THA\HDMITHA.dll

Found DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\TRK\HDMITRK.dll

Selected DLL = C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\pft407D~tmp\Lang\HDMI\ENU\HDMIENU.dll

[EnumDev]

[GetDrivers]

[Find INFs]

Found INF = C:\Users\user\AppData&#...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I would recommend installing the driver manually, this will force the installation of the driver. Please bear in mind that when installing generic Intel drivers, you may loose graphics features or customization added by your computer manufacturer.

See here for instructions:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033915.htm Graphics Drivers — How to Manually Install a Driver in Microsoft Windows 7*

Download the following driver to perform manual install: File name: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/19494/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3150-for-Windows-7-32-bit?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19494/eng/win7.zip win7.zip

Allan.

NDiam
Beginner

Thank you for sending a zip file by e-mail. But first, I will have to reinstall Windows again on that PC. I will try to use LG's installer for the GMA3150 before installing Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. If it works then I won't use your zip file.

I agree with your statement "Please bear in mind that when installing generic Intel drivers, you may loose graphics features or customization added by your computer manufacturer." That is exactly the reason why my initial posting quoted from the log of my first effort to use LG's installer before my second effort which used a download from Intel.

Yours sincerely,

Norman Diamond

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for letting me know about this matter. I hope after reinstalling operating system, the computer will go back to normal

Allan.

0 Kudos
NDiam
Beginner

I think the problem was the hard drive. Between my second and third reinstallations of Windows, I booted live Linux DVDs, ran smartctl, and ran various dd commands to try to persuade the drive's firmware to relocate bad blocks, but the drive's firmware pretended it repaired bad blocks and reduced both the number of relocations and the number of pending blocks to zeroes. On the other hand, the drive's firmware decided that the number of reading errors put it in failing state. So I guess there were bad blocks in files holding Intel's drivers and maybe some components of Windows. Maybe even in the pagefile.

On a replacement hard drive, Intel's drivers installed quickly and Windows activation went quickly, so that was probably it.

Also my previous message had a mistake. I reinstalled Windows 7 Starter with SP1 already incorporated, not Windows 7 Starter RTM. Windows 7 Starter RTM had blue screened during my zeroth attempt to reinstall, and I recalled Windows XP RTM being incompatible with Core 2 Duos, so I downloaded Windows 7 Starter with SP1 from Microsoft and used it for my first, second, and third reinstallations. I'm not sure now if the blue screens were due to RTM incompatibity with the Atom CPU (as Windows XP RTM had been incompatible with Core 2 Duo) or if they were caused by faulty reads of Windows components from the failing drive.

0 Kudos