Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20839 Discussions

GMA 3650 aka. PowerVR sgx545 and Linux

idata
Employee

Hello,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems there is absolutely no support for Intel GMA 3650 chipsets on Linux ?

There's a lot of similarities with the GMA500 case, a few years ago for which there is still only very poor

drivers under Linux. The GMA500 was also a chipset from PowerVR painted with Intel colors.

Will it be the same fiasco with this GMA series ?

Or maybe I missed something ?

By the way, I tryed to ask the developpers of PowerVR drivers and they told me to ask Intel support.

173 Replies
idata
Employee

Time for a (possibly small) helping of humble pie.

First, installing from a USB stick, on which one has copied the DVD iso using dd, results in the installer stilulating a live network connection. The way to avoid this is to use the Live iso image and the the LiveUSB Creator program as detailed here :

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB How to create and use Live USB - FedoraProject

This is a pity since it requires either an existing Fedora installation, or, else, Windows or burning a DVD and finding and attaching a DVD drive.

Next, in page 14 of the document of instructions mentioned above and available here :

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/enabling_hardware_accelerated_playback_fedora_16_v.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/enabling_hardware_accelerated_playback_fedora_16_v.pdf

the command prior to launching "make" to compile mplayer should be slightly changed. Instead of :

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-xv --enable-gl --enable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-mencoder --disable-faad --enable-runtime-cpudetection

one should give :

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-xv --enable-gl --enable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-faad --enable-runtime-cpudetection

because of a bug with mencoder (exact reference in a subsequent post).

With those two changes, I was able to install mplayer and run it from the command line. Performance is, more or less, as promised in the documentation, so fairly powerful for a fanless DN2800MT. Front-ends for mplayer are pretty lacklustre, as one would expect.

The overall impression is that Intel was probaly right to entrust PowerVR with the graphics job, since the latter produced a good chip. One can only hope that PowerVR can find a way to capitalise on their achievement so far. Their resources, as deployed, appear insufficient to the task of popularising their technology. One approach to get some resources is to open their platform somewhat to the open source community. This is a hard decision, even if one had full information about the technology, information that, us, plain customers, have not. What I can say is that, what I have seen seems interesting and more advanced at the present than the ARM and Intel in-house efforts. Building such an advantage is hard, sustaining it many times harder.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We were able to get Full 1080p HD graphics using Timesys Fedora. Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-UcU1YtxRE Linux Full HD Video Playback on GMA 3650 vs Ion 2 - YouTube

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

habeyusa, try rotate your screen to portrait, such as using "xrandr -o left" and you will see how bad is the performance on full HD graphics.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We went ahead and tested this out. It looks like you're right. We did experience some graphical issues in portrait mode. We'll forward your findings to Timesys and see if they have a solution for this. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

habeyusa, we (as well as many others) were struggling over this portrait graphic performance issue as well. I would appreciate if you can share any outcome from your side on this issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

On my 1025C netbook, I have lubuntu with the following intel drivers: cedarview-drm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers

When I click on "additional drivers", this is what I get:

1) drm driver for intel gma500 -This package contains the drm driver for Cedar Trail in DKMS format. 2)Intel cedar view graphics driver -3D-accelerated proprietary graphics driver for Intel Cedarview cards.

This driver is required to fully utilise the 3D potential of some Intel Cedarview cards, as well as provide 2D acceleration of newer cards.

When I watch a video (not even a hd one), there's tearing.

I read on so many forums to use "Intel video overlay" instead of "intel textured video" but when I type xvinfo, it's only showing me the textured one.

I first bought this netbook to downgrade from windows 7 starter to xp (still no satisfactory driver at present) and then decided to install lubuntu, but there's still the tearing issue".

To habeyusa,

on your video I noticed tearing too!

Any help will be much welcomed.

Nicoxp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We'll definitely let everyone know the outcome if and when we find a solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi habeyusa,

Are you using a custom made kernel or is it the OS which is available in the timesys's website (i.e Timesys Linux Installer for Cedar Rock D2550/NM10)? Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I needed an affordable and small netbook for running Ubuntu, and recently bought a Packard Bell dot-sc, Atom N2600 and GMA 3600. I should have researched more, but I trusted Intel. Needless to say, I am very dissapointed with the unwillingness of Intel to release proper Linux drivers. I thought a company of its size and resources would take better care of its customers.

I've been able to get somewhat decent performance on Ubuntu 10.04.1 using the drivers already mentioned in this thread, but performance should be way better.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am very disappointed as well. I have an Asus eee pc with the Atom n2600 chip, which is in the mail to me. I should have done more research. I will return it when it gets here. I don't like the idea of spending money on a new computer and being restricted to Windows 7 operating system. What happens when new software stops being supported on windows 7? Cant upgrade the operating system....? No Linux?

When I was researching netbooks I was under the impression that they were originally made to run on Linux...

Why no support now?

Under impressed...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So, when can we accept a fully functional linux driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I have tried installing Ubuntu 12.04 with cedarview drivers.

VAAPI hardware acceleration is working (with mplayer)

But for a media center to work I also need some openGL harware acceleration.

As far as I have tested Ubuntu, when I run glxgears the CPU utilization is 150%

I have found this document in previous post: enabling_hardware_accelerated_playback_ubuntu_12.pdf

In the 13th page it is said that:

Max CPU utilization for glxgears application should be less than 2 %

Is someone has this result with Meego or Custom Intel driver ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Same here, VAAPI works, 3D does not. 150-160% CPU load under glxgears with the intel-cedarview driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I worked a little more on this problem this weekend.

Meego 1.2 has correct glxgears performances.

I tried to compile custom kernel 3.1 for Ubuntu.

What I can say is: to have hardware acceleration for OpenGL,

you have to activate AIGLX in X11 conf files.

(/usr/share/intel-cdv/X11/xorg.conf.d/61-cdv-pvr.conf)

But this is instable in my system.

Can you try on your system and tell me if it's stable?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tried switching AIGLX on. Makes X unusable, in fact I've had to switch to a text terminal to set it off again. My graphics are GMA 3600.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Biggriffon,

Following your suggestion I enabled the aiglx option in the mentioned config file.

It vastly improved 3D performance, kudos! I did just a short test (about half an hour, ran glxgears, gnuplot, played shareware quake with the quakespasm, and extreme tuxracer.)

How/when does the instability appears for you? Do you experience overheating?

I've found that there is a certain error that prevents starting applications.

PVRDRIInitPVR2D: PVR2D device index(0)PVRDRIMakeCurrentGC: GLMakeCurrentGC failed(3)Video mode 800x600x32 initialized.

I assume it is related to switching resolutions. Quake fails to start five out of six times, but when it starts, it is playable and does not crash (it did core dump upon quitting though). Apart from that, things worked as before. Accelerated video playback works as before. Suspend and restore works.

Did some benchmarks, running quake timedemo demo1 in 1024x600 and got on average 45fps. CPU load was ca 50% (one core working full?).

Note that I use a non-pae kernel 3.2.0-36 (ubuntu 12.04) and gnome 2D, so 3D gui effects (compiz) is disabled. The hardware is an ASUS x101CH netbook.

Update:

I tested blender 2.62. it is a glitchfest with opengl enabled: surfaces do not appear correctly, they flip between black and textured as mouse moves over them, so most of the screen is black and only a small area is rendered.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I sad. I dislike new linux-distro userspace. But old doesn't work with 3+ kernels.

What problem in compile this module in (still!) popular 2.6.32 linux kernel?

This thread is about 158 messages. I think much more peoples have problems and think bad about Intel and Imagination Technologies.

This problem makes me to take my samsung netbook back to shop, because working correctly MeeGo have many problems in usability, like in gnome3 / unity.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Intel guys.... im really really upset, because I trusted this company and recommended it for my friend who wanted a good linux netbook. After I bought it I found out that there is no Linux support and seeing Intels approach, there will never be one. No driver is even worse than buggy AMD graphic driver... so you know what Ill recommend next time. thank you for this really bad experience.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Peter, I get it, compiled, installed and rebooted, only got a black screen.

Looking at xorg log got a long list of problems due to differents versions of the packages, is there a way to downgrade?ù

I'm on Debian

ii xorg-docs-core 1:1.6-1 all Core documentation for the X.org X Window System

ii xorg-sgml-doctools 1:1.10-1 all Common tools for building X.Org SGML documentation

ii xserver-xorg 1:7.7+2 i386 X.Org X server

ii xserver-xorg-core 2:1.12.4-5 i386 Xorg X server - core server

ii xserver-xorg-input-all 1:7.7+2 i386 X.Org X server -- input driver metapackage

ii xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.7.0-1+b1 i386 X.Org X server -- evdev input driver

ii xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.6.2-2 i386 Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server

ii xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.15.0+20120515-2 i386 X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-all 1:7.7+2 i386 X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage

ii xserver-xorg-video-apm 1:1.2.3-3 i386 X.Org X server -- APM display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-ark 1:0.7.4-1+b1 i386 X.Org X server -- ark display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.14.4-7 i386 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper

ii xserver-xorg-video-chips 1:1.2.4-2 i386 X.Org X server -- Chips display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-cirrus 1:1.4.0-2 i386 X.Org X server -- Cirrus display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 1:0.4.2-4+b3 i386 X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-geode 2.11.13-3 i386 X.Org X server -- Geode GX2/LX display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-i128 1:1.3.5-1+b1 i386 X.Org X server -- i128 display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-i740 1:1.3.2-4+b3 i386 X.Org X server -- i740 display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.19.0-6 i386 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-mach64 6.9.1-2 i386 X.Org X server -- ATI Mach64 display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-mga 1:1.5.0-3 i386 X.Org X server -- MGA display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-neomagic 1:1.2.6-1 i386 X.Org X server -- Neomagic display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.1-5 i386 X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-openchrome 1:0.2.906-2 i386 X.Org X server -- VIA display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-r128 6.8.2-1 i386 X.Org X server -- ATI r128 display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.14.4-7 i386 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-rendition 1:4.2.4-3 i386 X.Org X server -- Rendition display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-s3 1:0.6.3-4+b3 i386 X.Org X server -- legacy S3 display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-s3virge 1:1.10.4-5 i386 X.Org X server -- S3 ViRGE display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-savage 1:2.3.4-1 i386 X.Org X server -- Savage display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion 1:1.7.6-1 i386 X.Org X server -- SiliconMotion display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-sis 1:0.10.4-1 i386 X.Org X server -- SiS display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-sisusb 1:0.9.4-3 i386 X.Org X server -- SiS USB display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-tdfx 1:1.4.4-1 i386 X.Org X server -- tdfx display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-trident 1:1.3.5-1 i386 X.Org X server -- Trident display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-tseng 1:1.2.4-3 i386 X.Org X server -- Tseng display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-vesa 1:2.3.1-1+b1 i386 X.Org X server -- VESA display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-vmware 1:12.0.2-1+b1 i386 X.Org X server -- VMware display driver

ii xserver-xorg-video-voodoo 1:1.2.4-2+b3 i386 X.Org X server -- Voodoo display dr

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok got it on Ubuntu 12.04, but on 1080p got frame dropping! is this fixable?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

# for ubuntu-debian

# instruction will make deb package :

# linux-image-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

# linux-headers-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

cd /usr/src

sudo wget --continue http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.1.10.tar.bz2 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.1.10.tar.bz2

sudo tar jxvf linux-3.1.10.tar.bz2

cd linux-3.1.10

# copy patches

sudo cp xxxx/kernel-ttm-clear-high.patch /usr/src/linux-3.1.10

sudo cp xxxx/cedarview-kernel-v1.0.1_bee.patch /usr/src/linux-3.1.10

sudo patch -p1 < kernel-ttm-clear-high.patch

sudo patch -p1 < cedarview-kernel-v1.0.1_bee.patch

sudo cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config

# edit Kconfig

sudo nano drivers/staging/Kconfig

# Add the following line to drivers/staging/Kconfig:

source "drivers/staging/cdv/Kconfig"

# edit Makefile

sudo nano drivers/staging/Makefile

# Add the following line to drivers/staging/Makefile:

obj-$(CONFIG_DRM_INTEL_CDV) += cdv/

sudo make menuconfig

# To enable the Cedarview kernel driver component, be sure to set the following

# kernel config variables:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y

CONFIG_DRM_PSB is not set

CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_HDMI=y

CONFIG_DRM_INTEL_CDV=y

CONFIG_DRM_CDV_RELEASE=y

CONFIG_DRM_CDV_DEBUG is not set

CONFIG_DRM_PVR_PDUMP is not set

# compiling kernel

sudo make-kpkg clean

sudo fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-cedarview kernel_image kernel_headers

cd ../

# this vill install kernel and headers

sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

#

# if dont work remove it

sudo dpkg -r linux-image-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -r linux-headers-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

0 Kudos