Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

GMA3600 Linux Support.

DDing4
New Contributor I

Hey,

I know that their is practically no Linux support for any PowerVR based chipset. But I have a netbook that came pre-installed with Linux, and because of Intel not being bothered to make drivers that have 3D Acceleration we are stuck using GMA500 2D drivers on outdated systems. It's bad enough that you will not develop drivers despite the community pleading for them, but you will not even release the source code to the existing drivers (like the GMA500 driver). If you made the driver opensource then people from the Linux Community and other developers would most likely be able to develop fully working drivers with 2D and 3D Acceleration.

PLEASE Intel listen to your community. You sell us a product with Linux then abandon us. You cannot tell us to go to the Linux Community because we cannot develop drivers from complete scratch without you opening the sourcecode. You cannot tell us to goto Imagination Technologies (The people who developed the GMA3600 and licensed the chip to Intel) as they say it is Intel's responsibilty.

I urge people in need or these drivers to share your thoughts and show Intel that we need these drivers to use our netbooks.

-Sam,26 interg

71 Replies
DDing4
New Contributor I

Why should we forget? We _should_ be the priority, We arn't, The point of the complaints is to be the priority. The consumers should ALWAYS be priority.

-Sam

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

Sam, I don't think you understand this company, today I thought about seeing if there was some way to motivate Intel staff to do the right thing, you know like a "Intel employee of the year award" or something. I suggest you google it and see what the results are...

0 Kudos
DDing4
New Contributor I

I don't think you understand. They shouldnt have an award for supporting something. They should just support it. I wouldnt expect an award for supporting the consumer. It should be a requirement.

All this thread is about, is trying to get Intel to support the GMA3600. Not to discuss Intels staff management.

-Sam

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

If customers were the priority, there would be no discussion here. If customers were a priority each of our posts would be given a detailed response, and timetable for resolution. Now, I know that we shouldn't have to do anything to get these things, but clearly nothing meaningful is happening, so all we can do is think outside the box and use as many different pathways to try and trigger someone, somewhere, to do something. There finally seems to be some action on the Windows 7 side, because the admin now does at least have a computer with our setup, it's very sad to say, but this is a huge step forward...

0 Kudos
bleo
Novice

The current driver release [1] from Intel for these Atoms is based on Device Driver Kit (DDK) v1.7 ED862890 from Imagination Technologies.

However, I found out that there's a certain Mikko Rassa who is

working as a consultant on a project to develop drivers for the PowerVR graphics processor in the Cedarview family of Intel Atom microprocessors in a Debian environment.

From that mailing list [2], he suggested that a DDK v1.9 exists

but in the end decided to stay with 1.7. An update of the DDK would involve an unknown amount of work in making the driver work with it, and that was deemed undesirable by the customer. Unfortunately this means that we won't be able to get official support from IMG or provide native support for full OpenGL.

So it is possible that the performance in these drivers can be improved, and that an updated DDK version from Imagination Technologies already exists and only needs porting work from Intel, but seems to be unwilling to do such work to further improve the situation.

[1] https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21938 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21938

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/02/msg00450.html Re: Getting Intel Cedarview drivers into Debian

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

Nice leo, I was thinking of the same thing, and have asked nic from Intel the same question yesterday on the 1091 driver post, seeing as we are getting more replies now we might get an answer as to whether 1.9 is possible, and maybe some more info on what is the latest DDK. It might also be worth asking IM directly what the current version is and whether they are backwards compatible.

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

Anyone feel like crying? Just posted today:

http://withimagination.imgtec.com/index.php/powervr/understanding-powervr-series5xt-powervrs-hardware-is-nothing-without-software-part-9 Understanding PowerVR Series5XT: PowerVR's hardware is nothing without software optimization - With Imagination

It would be really useful if we could get as many people as possible commenting on this directly on IMs' page, they are deleting comments, but as long as we keep it friendly, factual and to the point, they're going to look a little silly, given they asked for feedback. Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: alasdair green

0 Kudos
bleo
Novice

Good read alasdair.

If only Intel knows as much as that blog post, and I bet they do, and start caring more about the performance issues we raise, both in Windows and Linux.

0 Kudos
DDing4
New Contributor I

I had emailed Mikko soon after making the petition. He basically said he was no longer doing the project, and got no other replies.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Mikko :

Unfortunately the project was canceled due to a lack of funding. Much as I'd like to help the community develop a better driver, the important parts are licensed from Imagination Technologies and are under an NDA. I'm sure Intel wouldn't mind opening it up, but Imagination is less forthcoming. Since I've seen the source code, I can't even help with reverse-engineering attempts without landing myself and my employer in legal trouble.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Also, I have found a slight mod that would get us out of these GMA3600 troubles. And you have either two options. The solution is a Broadcom BCM70015 HD Decoder, Which is a Mini-PCIe module that is designed for your Nettop/Netbook. This was made for people like us with basically no performance in graphics at all.

Option 1 : Hack it up style.

My netbook is an Aspire One D270, which when you open it up has another PCIe pad next to the existing and populated pad, that holds the WiFi card. You can populate the second PCIe, (As far as my research tells me)[1], and then put the BCM70015 Card in that new socket. The benefits of this option will enable you to keep your internal WiFi adaptor, but will require some very steady hands and a soldering iron.

If anyone is interested in this option, I'll be more than happy to post a mini howto once I get the parts.

Option 2 : Super easy style.

Simply crack open your netbook (follow the guides on the internet, im sure they exist) and locate the WiFi card. It's a little card with two wires coming off of the top of it. Simply unscrew the little screw hold it down and the card will pop up. Remove it by slowly pulling it out and insert the new BCM70015 card. After this, you will need to buy a Mini USB WiFi Adapator, fairly cheap, but your using a USB, which I don't like, hence my sticking with Option 1.

Non the less, I'd still love to see drivers for this graphics core

[1] = http://hackaday.com/2011/03/15/no-pcieslot-just-add-one/ No PCIE slot? Just add one

-Sam

0 Kudos
bleo
Novice

It was 'as expected,' after that thread in the mailing list went silent without receiving further replies, nor attention from developers.

If I remember correctly, that HD Decoder/PCIE mod has a caveat: that the PCIE port should be able to provide enough power to drive the card. It has been discussed here before, if I'm not mistaken, from this thread: http://communities.intel.com/thread/29157?start=165&tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/29157?start=165&tstart=0

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

Hi Sam,

Nice find on the miniPCIe, I'd found the same solution, sounds a little messy and feels like a complete give in to Intel and their poor quality service.

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

I think actually the power issue was ok, this used something like 5W or something. But as far as I know assuming there are no hardware complications, you would still possibly need to mod the BIOS to enable the new port. I also think there are several posts about this, as I found this while hunting

0 Kudos
DDing4
New Contributor I

I'll look into it more. It does say low power, and if the hacked up PCIe header doesnt provide enough power, maybe the two components will work the otherway around, i.e having the wifi in the new adaptor, instead of the BCM70015 in there.

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

This says less than 1W:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D96Z8Q Amazon.com: Broadcom BCM70015 Crystal HD PCI Express Mini Card Video/Audio Hardware DecoderHardware Decoder for Apple TV 1080p: Computers & Accessories

0 Kudos
DDing4
New Contributor I

alasdair555 thanks! This will help

-Sam

0 Kudos
MPetr11
Beginner

I just want to know which operating systems are suported by intel 3600 series. Since Windows Xp and Windows 7(32bit) clearly are not( They are not working properly). Thank you

0 Kudos
agree11
Novice

Mladen, unfortunately I don't think any of us can 'recommend' any OS for this product. I for one would recommend that if you are considering buying it, that you consider a different product, and furthermore do not consider trying to use any Intel product that uses an IM graphics solution. This combination has a long and distinguished history of being unusable.

0 Kudos
DDing4
New Contributor I

You could try Meego, If your a child

-Sam

0 Kudos
MPetr11
Beginner

Thanks my friend unfortunately i have purchased 5 of d2800mt desktop motherboards in hope of building HTPCs.

Only to find there are no proper drivers... Marketing trick that said it plays 1080p fooled me. However that Broadcom BCM70015 PCIe card looks promising . Will try to avoid Intel products in the future. Cheers

0 Kudos
DDing4
New Contributor I

See Intel, look at that, Broadcom had opensourced and updated their drivers, and now they have another customer. Imagine what Intel could do, such a known brand.