Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

GTA 5 - Not detecting the proper amount of VRAM

ForeverBlue
Beginner

Hi, 

Using the Intel Graphics UHD 630, GTA 5 will detect around 4 GB VRAM for an odd reason, causing the game to cache graphics into RAM - too much at least. 

A similar issue existed in GTA 4, except the game was detecting too little VRAM, causing the caching to barely function at all and objects were "popping in" in front of you while previously loaded objects were popping out. A way to fix this was using a commandline that says -avaliablevidmem 10. Unfortunately, GTA 5 didn't come with that type of compatibility. 

Due to this, GTA 5 will boot at optimal performance, then after a few minutes depending on graphics settings it'll begin to cache way more than it should. My system is on 8 GB RAM and due to my page file being on an HDD, it began stuttering awfully. 

Basically, how could I go about changing the VRAM cap so I can lower it to a respectable amount so it doesn't cache as much? Or how can I assist GTA 5 into not over-caching more than my system can handle? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

ForeverBlue, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. 

In reference to your question about the VRAM, here you have the specifications of how it works:

VRAM is a special-purpose memory used by video adapters.

VRAM is dynamic

The VRAM cannot be increased because of a hardware limitation. 

The video memory can get up to 50% from the system RAM, depending on the processor model and operating system

In the following link you will find further details about this topic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
ForeverBlue
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, 

I'm fully aware about how VRAM works, the issue is that GTA 5 grabs too much system RAM to use as VRAM and there is no config or graphic setting to change how much GTA 5 will use for caching graphics. 

On my system it caches up to 4 GB, which on an 8 GB system 4 GB for just VRAM I assume will cause it to get cached into a pagefile. I use a 7200 RPM HDD which might explain the drop in FPS, because it is not a reliable pagefile for GTA 5. 

Basically I want GTA 5 to use less system RAM for VRAM, as it's using way more than it needs (it can go down to 900 MB on other systems with other specs)

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

ForeverBlue, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

The VRAM cannot be increased or decreased because of a hardware limitation and because it is automatically assigned by the Operating System.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
nx
Beginner

but when i played gta v 1 year ago, it showed 1024 vram, but now its just 512, i didn't make any hardware or software changes, gta v is not detecting my vram properly plz fix  

0 Kudos