Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

GTA V memory leak in 15.60 4901 driver

idata
Employee

Hello all,

As you can see in this video, GTAV has a bad memory leak problem where assets continue to load in but old data doesn't get purged eventually causing terrible performance due to swap/compressing ram. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMNWzd4mTcI GPD Win 2 - GTA 5 - Grand Theft Auto 5 GTA V (Max Ram Used) - YouTube

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

For the Intel support staff to help you, provide your complete processor model number, your operating system, your motherboard/system model number, and any other information about your system.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Apologies.

CPU: M3-7Y30

RAM: 8GB Dual Channel 1866mhz LPDDR3

System: GPD WIn 2

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Phawx

Thank you for joining the community

Cloud you provide us with the DxDiag* report
  • Use the win logo key +R
  • Type DxDiag then "OK"
  • Use the "save all the information" option
  • Save the file to your desktop
  • Please attach the .txt file to the thread
The application that you are using to measure the usage while playing?

Could you try to run the game with minimum graphics settings? What is the outcome?

Have you tried to use the OEM graphic drivers?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Attached dxdiag report.

I am using rivatuner with hwinfo to display the diagnostics on screen.

I can only run the game at lowest settings. In particular, in this video I've also disabled shadows.

The stuttering will have in the latest four 15.60 drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Phawx

Thank for your response and the information provided,

In other to do more research on this situation could you fill up the info on the following link

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Phawx

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JLa1
Novice

I had this issue a while ago and I found a way to fix it by modifying the registry. The Intel drivers have a way to report various amounts of VRAM to the system to fix problematic games and to change the amount of VRAM reported, you have to change the registry. What GTA V does before the fix, is that it looks at the total amount of shared VRAM that it can use. On my system with 8GB of ram, it's 4GB. You can see it here in this picture that it identifies 4030MB of shared VRAM total that it can use.

My THEORY (not 100% sure and may be 100% wrong) is that GTA V tries to take advantage of all that VRAM by caching textures into the VRAM. Let's say you drive into Paleto Bay. The game loads that area's textures into VRAM, then when you drive away from Paleto Bay, the game keeps those textures in the VRAM so that if you drive back there, it doesn't have to load the textures from the Hard Drive or SSD again. Over time, this adds up and eventually it will fill up that 4GB that it detects and thinks it has to use. Combine 4GB of VRAM usage and the normal RAM usage from GTA V + Windows + Any Background Applications and your RAM will probably run out very quickly. AGAIN, I am not sure if any of that is actually true but I do know that this issue is real.

After the fix, the game identifies 2GB of VRAM (which is what I set it to).

In this case, the game still caches textures, but not as much as when it thought it had 4GB of VRAM. This setup for me kept RAM usage around 6-7GB for me which made the game playable again.

I've attached 4 files to this post. A "Fix" file to apply the 2GB fix, and a "Revert" file to revert the changes back to default. This fix assumes that you have 8GB of RAM OR higher. I have 2 separate files to set the VRAM to 1GB and 512MB if you have less RAM or the 2GB fix doesn't work for you. The 512MB fix probably will not even try to cache textures so you may experience textures popping in and out.

BTW if this screws up your system, I am NOT RESPONSIBLE for anything that goes wrong with it. Do this at your own risk. It shouldn't cause any problems and I highly doubt that it will but if it does go wrong, I am not responsible for your system.

AlHill
Super User

I would be very concerned and cautious about making such a registry modification.

Doc

0 Kudos