Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21222 Discussions

Graphic card

nimbus
Beginner

I bought a smart TV (UHD) and i thought to use it as monitor via HDMI port, I have and an old desktop PC with as motherboard an Intel DX58SO and as graphic card a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, with DVI port. I connected the Smart TV with a cable DVI out (graphic card) and HDMI In (smart TV) but it doesn't work. How can I solve this issue? Is it possible to keep the existing motherboard and replace the existing graphic card with a most recent one, which? If it's not what can I do?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @nimbus 

Thank you for posting in our Graphics community.

The Intel DX58SO motherboard is quite old and lacks support for PCI express 3.0 specification (this is a requirement for modern graphic cards) See "Expansion Options" on the Intel DX58SO specifications page. It seems to me upgrading the motherboard will be a must if you want a new graphics card. 

By the way, the problem you are currently facing is most likely due to the DVI output not being capable of driving a 4K (UHD) resolution.

For your next graphics card you may want to consider the Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics for Desktops. Please visit also this link to check the supported hardware configurations for these graphic cards before doing any purchase.

Let me know if this information answers your question.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again,

Did you get a chance to review my previous post?

If you have any follow-up question I'll be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos