Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Graphic-driver bricks my HP Notebook with UHD Graphics 620

User1590227331924214

HP Notebook with Intel UHD Graphics 620.

I can not install newer versions than 25.20.100.644 with releasedate 2018-11-19. If so, it results in BSOD at booting and I have to swipe all. And I have tried ALL versions after that version.

The problem now is that Windows Update downloads and install newer versions and I can't prevent it. And then back to BSOD.

I've tried a Microsoft tool named Windows Update Show & Hide to prevent drivers to become installed. But that tool doesn't prevent the newer version releases.

/Andreas

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

What is the exact model number of your notebook?

Do you have dual graphics?

Doc

0 Kudos
User1590227331924214

Intel Core i3-8145U, model 5EU36EA

I've also flashed to newest BIOS

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This is the latest driver for your laptop:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29557/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Also, so we can better help you:

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
Eray1
Beginner
0 Kudos
User1590227331924214

As I said I've already tried that solution. But it only blocks a specific name of the update. Next update has another filename and is therefore not blocked by the Microsoft app 😕

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Easier to block all driver updates:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers

Right click on your computer, select Device installation settings.

And just say NO.

Doc

0 Kudos
User1590227331924214

Here's the file you were looking for Al.Hill.

All updates crashes while installing the newer driver, with reset and BSOD as result.

Errorcode in BSOD refers always to igdkmd64.sys. And then the only way back is to swipe hdd.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello User15902273319242146140

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. If yes, please provide a DxDiag* report following these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information.
  4. Open the report.
  5. Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file.
  6. Attach the report .TXT file to this thread. 

Note; To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
User1590227331924214
posted a file.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Windows Update Service is supposed to provide and install customized drivers for your specific computer model. Those drivers usually are provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), in this case, HP*.

Regarding the issue with Windows® Update Service constantly pushing a driver update, we recommend checking this behavior further with Microsoft® Support for more accurate recommendations and instructions.

Also, it is worth mentioning that we provide generic graphics drivers. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Having said that, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver using the customized driver from HP* website, it seems that the latest version for the graphics driver is "Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver - Whiskey Lake/Comet Lake Version 26.20.100.7926 Rev.A"*. However, before attempting to install this driver, we recommend checking with HP Support that this is indeed the recommended driver for your laptop model.

Please follow the following steps to perform the clean install of the driver:

1- Download the recommended OEM driver and save it on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3- Uninstall the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 driver from Windows® >> Apps and Features. (if applicable).

4- Restart the computer.

5- Confirm in Device Manager >> Video/Display Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 3 through 4.

6- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel UHD Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Programs and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1- Right-click on “Intel UHD Graphics” or similar, and select “Uninstall Device”.

6.2- In the pop-up window make sure “Delete the driver software for this device” is checked.

6.3- Click on “Uninstall”.

6.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1 through 6.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter").

7- Install the driver that was downloaded in step 1.

8- Restart the computer.

9- Reconnect to the Internet.

10- If needed, download the Intel® Graphics Command Center from the Microsoft Store.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to check our previous post and to try the recommended steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close the thread. It should be expected that the driver is able to install after following the steps we shared on our post on June 1st, 2020 about the clean install of the graphics driver.

If the issue persists after following those steps, our final recommendation is to check this issue further with your laptop manufacturer (OEM), and also they may help you to discard hardware malfunction and/or operating system corruption which may need, for instance, a factory restore process for which your OEM should be able to assist properly and provide guidance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos