Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

Graphics Update

JDD88
Beginner

Yesterday, I received a message to update my graphics driver. (I have a Dell XPS 8940). After completing the install, the computer needed to restart. I initiated the restart but did not wait for it to finish. When I turned on my computer this morning, I cannot get past the Dell logo before Windows shows a stopcode_CRITCAL_PROCESS-DIED.

I spoke with Dell and went through a number of diagnostics. Other than the fact that I cannot get past the Dell logo, the diagnostics show no issues. Dell wants me to reset the computer which will result in me losing all data on the computer. Fortunately, I have a backup.

To me, this should be a last step. Isn’t there a way to uninstall the most recent Intel update?

I greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may boot from Windows Installation USB (which you may prepare, using Microsoft Media Creating Tool) into Advanced Menu:

1.  Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.
  2.  Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3.  Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  4.  Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5.  Click/tap on Advanced options.
  6. Click on Command Prompt
  7. In the Command Prompt write the following command: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press enter to execute this command. 
  8. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
  9.  Select Continue and sign in to Windows. You will boot into Windows in SAFE mode.
  10. While in Windows, uninstall the Intel Driver.
  11. Press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  12. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot.  Reboot your system. 

BTW, you may rest Windows, leaving all your data. Some programs will be removed and you will need to reinstall them: How to Reset Windows 10

Leon

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Reset the computer, and restore your backup.   Next time, be more careful.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
JDD88
Beginner

Thanks for the response. For my benefit, how would you suggest that I be more careful? At the moment, my biggest regret is allowing the computer to restart after the Intel driver update so I was unable to monitor the outcome. As far as I can tell, the update seems to have caused the issue. Is there any way to uninstall the update to get back to the prior state? Unfortunately, Windows 10 seems to delete all restoration points after a number of days. Very frustrating. This should have been a very easy fix.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I initiated the restart but did not wait for it to finish. "

Next time, wait for it to finish.

No, your impatience caused the install process to not complete properly.

Are restore points even turned on?   Often, they are not.

If restore points are on, then the fix is easy.  If you take a system backup, the fix is easy.

A little patience goes a long way.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What you need to try is booting in Safe Mode. From there, you can uninstall the driver and start again.

...S

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may boot from Windows Installation USB (which you may prepare, using Microsoft Media Creating Tool) into Advanced Menu:

1.  Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.
  2.  Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3.  Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  4.  Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5.  Click/tap on Advanced options.
  6. Click on Command Prompt
  7. In the Command Prompt write the following command: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press enter to execute this command. 
  8. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
  9.  Select Continue and sign in to Windows. You will boot into Windows in SAFE mode.
  10. While in Windows, uninstall the Intel Driver.
  11. Press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  12. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot.  Reboot your system. 

BTW, you may rest Windows, leaving all your data. Some programs will be removed and you will need to reinstall them: How to Reset Windows 10

Leon