Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Graphics corruption in Fallout 4 since 1.3 patch

DJohn24
Beginner

Since Fallout 4's 1.3(.47) patch, I (and many, many others) have been experiencing texture issues that make the game unplayable. I have an Iris 5100, but the problem seems to be universal across all Intel GPUs, regardless of hardware.

More images are in this gallery http://imgur.com/a/K5wa2 here. Basically, the textures stretch and warp, almost always obscuring your view and looking like a mess. It's interesting to note that this does not happen to player/character models, although it's difficult to discern what these textures originally were to begin with. Updating to the latest beta driver does not fix it (although I'd never seen the bright red texture glitch in the gallery before it, so... there's that).

I originally believed this to be a problem combining Apple hardware (I'm using a late-2013 rMBP) with the Intel GPU, which is not officially supported by Bethesda (the game's publisher), but since then I've encountered many people across the internet on other hardware who are encountering the same issue. In fact, there seems to be something about the 1.3 update that screwed up textures for a lot of people with integrated graphics, including those with AMD.

Someone will probably inevitably say that Apple has requested that all issues with their products should be directed through their support, but quite frankly, this doesn't seem like an Apple problem (and the Apple person I talked to agreed with me, saying they can only work to apply fixes within OS X). The game was made by Bethesda, runs solely in a Windows environment, and the common denominator seems to be the Intel GPU. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1588208-texture-glitches-after-update/ Bethesda is aware of the problem, but are under no obligation to support users of hardware they never offered support to. While I don't know much about driver programming, I feel like this is an issue that will most likely be solved by you at Intel if it is solved at all. You also are under no obligation to solve the problem, and if you can't, no hard feelings (really). This GPU has felt like "the little graphics card that could", given the amount I've put it through, and this is the first game I've encountered that is entirely unplayable because of it.

I unknowingly solved the crashing problems already known by installing http://enbdev.com/download_mod_fallout4.htm ENBoost, a utility that is known to boost performance -- for some reason it completely stops the crashing other Intel users have been experiencing. The game runs just fine on versions 1.1 (release) and 1.2, and I'm continuing to play the game thanks to http://www.speedrun.com/Fallout_4/thread/fvo80 downgrade patches, but any future content will be unavailable unless the issue is fixed.

I've attached the Intel SSU diagnostics, DxDiag, and DispDiag for reference, but a summary of my system specs is as follows: Macbook Pro Retina, Late-2013, Intel Core i5-4258U CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel Iris Graphics 5100, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, graphics driver version 20.19.15.4380 (which I think is the beta driver? don't know what else it would be, since I turned auto-updates off and haven't installed another since). I was previously on the last stable release, which I found to run significantly better than the Apple-provided one that installs during Boot Camp.

Sorry for the info dump, I'm just really interested in helping to figure out a solution if possible. I know this has been posted about a few times as well, hope this isn't a problem as I didn't want to hijack any more threads. If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know -- I'm hoping I'll be able to get some users not on Apple hardware to post their information as well. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
128 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Ok, it seems that this statements I see in v 4444 driver:

Graphics corruption may be observed in The Witness*, Rise of the Tomb Raider*, Fallout 4*, FIFA 16*, Act of Aggression*, Mortal Kombat X*, Far Cry 4*, Far Cry Primal* and other games.

with the observation:

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

means that if some developer decide to make a game compatible only with Nvidia or only with Amd or only with Intel, we need to buy graphical card for each game ...

That's not cool anymore.

And the Internet Explorer memory leaks are not fixed, that means screen fickering, or random errors in windows 8.1 (idk yet about windows 10), will still occur.

That means in the end that next cpu will be one that will offer 3x16 PCI_E electrical connected, but i will not pay anymore 350$ for a cpu, is not worth it.

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

Yeah, no joy here . So the point of this is that we should give on it?.

This sucks...

So it's no longer a good idea to buy Intel, because they don't work with simple games.

This makes me sad.

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

it's a shame that this game from problems yet before the update 1.3 that was fine and low resolution even exceed 30 fps.

I believe that in the bethesda made especially by blocking some of the intel cards

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I wonder how Intel wants to sell those skylake gaming APUs with better igpu when some games are not working on them.

Well, that would have been ok if drivers had no problems. Unfortunately, there are problems with the drivers in the basic functionality of windows ... For example: when browsing on facebook in IE11 scrolling down fast, with page down, thru all what people post, on Windows 8.1 gives some error which I found is connected to graphic driver while searching on internet, and on windows 10 page is not responding, on IE11 and Edge. All those problems are for sure connected to the Intel codecs that internet explorer and edge are using. And this problem is not getting fixed as I see.

If the bugs are software they should have highest priority. If when Kaby Lake will be released these bugs still continue i will consider change CPU as being with hardware igpu bugs.

I am somehow disappointed because after waiting so many years for a new technological process advancement, I was hoping that after all this time Intel had to test their products, they will release a well prepared product without so many flaws. But this turned out like we are some guinea pigs, with the difference that we also paid to be testers ...

I don't mind to test things but if I also pay for them I expect them to be fixed fast if they have some basic bugs.

I truly did not expected this, and especially from Intel.

PS: I made some PCs for my friends and not only and I am afraid to upgrade the windows they have to windows 10 because of the bugs they may encounter on the basic thing that they will do: browsing on Edge or IE11 and then they will look for me each time they have a problem...

0 Kudos
JBrow36
Beginner

So at this point should we assume Intel has no intention of fixing this issue?

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

That's what it looks like, despite them telling us that they were working on it.

0 Kudos
KDelg
Beginner

They may still be working on it, and just acknowledging the issue publicly in the current release notes.

That said, an update from ivanu_intel would be welcome.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I think that will happen only if they work on a new alternate driver to be compatible with nvidia functions or Bethesda agrees to add Intel graphics also ...

0 Kudos
ETucc
Beginner

I'd really love feedback from ivanu_intel on a fix for this- the game's been out of service since patch 1.3 which launched over three months ago

0 Kudos
NPres3
Novice

I hope that at least add support for DirectX 12, which is a shame in my opinion not have the 100% that Intel HD 5500 chip

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm sorry I don't have an ETA when this will be fixed, did you try the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25951/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81494 graphics driver? I suggest uninstalling the old one and try a clean installation of the new one.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Uninstalled, used DDU, and installed clean driver. I don't see any bugfix from what I reported in the Beta 4380 thread, except GTA5 rain fixed ...

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found the solution. It was given a couple of days ago by this saint

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/364041517012147849/ Fix for Intel graphics cards :: Fallout 4 General Discussions

I'm playing it now. I'M SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!

0 Kudos
JLoba
Novice

That's brilliant news.

Did you have to start a new game? I'm 48hours in and not keen to start from the beginning if I can avoid it.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

It was so hard to put in the configuration a checkbox for Intel. But it seems this is made on purpose for the game not to work on Intel igpu's ...

What they didn't know is that some users can figure it out

Ty for the finding and posting.

Maybe will be a tip for Intel where to look in driver and fix it, as it may have problems like those in other games also

So this should go in attention to ivanu_intel

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/364041517012147849/ Fix for Intel graphics cards :: Fallout 4 General Discussions

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

I don't think you do would need to, because it's just anot ini change. I had Uninstaller my game completely because I lost hope and just wanted to free up space.

But now, I'm ready.

I hope everyone else gets the news, because I know it was sad for a while there.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Yes, it is an ini variable change because either the intel graphics doesn't support those settings in hardware, or there is a driver bug, because is not the only game that has these problems. If it's a driver bug or coding problem it should be fixed and you will not have to do that ini mod.

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

I was talking to jester1o1,because he was asking if he would need to start over. I would she he wouldn't need to because of it being an ini change.

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

be aware though jester1o1, if there are any dead people with gore on, they will still cause the texture stretching. Also, I am getting some blinking of textures now and again, but it's worth it to me.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Ah ok But would be nice if Intel will fix this if its a bug or find a workaround in driver, because I saw this kind of bug on other games, and it might be a problem in windows also because I saw many people are complaining about graphics corruption in browsers.

0 Kudos
JCote2
Novice

I actually know that a major issue with me was going with a crappy company for my computer. I have an Acer, and they made the setup a custom driver setup for the system. Acer supported the first upgrade to windows 10, but as soon as windows 10 November update came out last year, they stopped updated drivers for my computer. Intel's release of the newer drivers actually fixed a lot of what Acer screwed up with, so I'm thankful for that much. ( I'll never buy another computer from acer for any reason. )

On the other hand, I agree. It would be nice to have a work around on this. See the issue would not have been a big deal for me if it didn't work in the first place. I got 16 hours in before the released the update. Steam only allows 2 hours of play before they no longer give a refund. ( that was my plan, to see if I could play it first. If not I was just going to get a refund. ) Just trying to play the game on this computer instead of buying a ps4 lets you know how tight my funds for recreation is, so it's kind of a big deal. It's the principle of the situation at this point. I was forced to keep the game, so I'm going to play it lol.

0 Kudos