Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Graphics driver "Install Now" button just says failed.

rrich29
Beginner

I used the driver and support utility to scan my system for updates, it says theres an update available for my graphics driver, but when I click on "Install Now" it just says failed. Any idea how to fix this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you a laptop or desktop?

What processor model number?

What operating system? What version? 1809?

Be specific.

Doc

0 Kudos
rrich29
Beginner

Its an HP laptop, windows 10 64 bit.

The thing is I know exactly the driver I need to install, it just fails when I click the install button on the website.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, but which version of Windows 10? Go to start, settings, system, about, and look under "windows specifications".

Which processor?

Now, the driver you need to install are the ones on the HP site for your laptop. It is possible that HP has modified/customized the drivers for their hardware. This is especially the case if you have dual graphics.

The Intel driver and support utility is not for your hardware. HP provides a similar tool for their hardware.

Lastly, HP is solely responsible for support of your laptop. You need to be using HP support.

Doc

0 Kudos
rrich29
Beginner

Window 10 Home, version 1803.

Processor i5-5200U

The HP site hasnt updated the drivers since 2015. Here on the Intel site theres an update as recent as March 2019. Ive got multiple programs complaining about out of date graphics drivers. The graphics card is specifically an intel product (Intel HD Graphics 5500), hence the reasons Im using this site in the first place.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I understand. But, you cannot expect the Intel generic driver to work properly on your hardware. As I explained, HP likely has modified the driver to support their hardware. Since they have not updated their drivers, you need to complain to them. Your laptop support and warranty come from HP. Any problems you have need to be resolved with HP.

Also, I assume that you do not have dual graphics, correct? If you do have dual graphics, that presents an entirely different and more complex problem.

Now, all of that said, you may want to try manually installing the driver using the zip package from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662?product=85212

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

Also, as another step, after downloading the package, I would disconnect from the net. Then, in the device manager, uninstall the existing drivers (deleting the driver). Repeat this step until you see only the Microsoft basic display adapter. Multiple restarts will be required. Then, install the zip package using the manual method. Then, reconnect the net.

Doc

0 Kudos