Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HD 630 Closing apps causes huge stutter.

JThom36
Beginner

Every time I close an application (most of the time it's a browser be it Chrome, Firefox, or Edge) the window fades out about 50% of the way, my touchpad becomes unresponsive, and I wait for about a second and a half for everything to become normal. In task manager, I see a spike in Intel HD Graphics usage to 100%. It is only visible once the screen is able to update. While running Nvidia Optimus Test Viewer, the GPU turns on, goes Idle, turns on, goes Idle, then off. I see this rapid change in behavior once the screen is responsive again. This started after the Windows 10 1803 update. During the update process, I had to reset my PC because things went wrong during the update process. Since then, I have tried factory resetting my PC, clean installing, installing the latest drivers from both Intel's website AND the recommended driver from my laptop manufacture's website. I have done the same for my Nvidia drivers as well. I have even tried clean installing the drivers. This is very frustrating because I spent $1,500 on this laptop and it isn't performing as well. In fact, a cheaper laptop would perform better because the issue isn't present when I disable the Nvidia graphics from device manager.

Here is a video demonstrating the issue, taken by me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_kx2JgYrAk Weird Windows 10 1803 Lag - YouTube

Side Note:

Desktop Window manager uses 70-90% integrated GPU usage when scrolling in a web browser.

My Laptop specs are:

Dell XPS 15 9560

Intel Core i7-7700HQ

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 1050

A400 SanDisk 512GB SSD

4K Touch Screen

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello wunkadurgenfaceball,

I understand that you are facing graphic bugs and performance issues after the latest Windows 10* update (1803)

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Based on the detailed description of your issue and the video that you uploaded, the best troubleshooting step will be performing a full, clean installation of drivers (with no internet access so Windows* will not update them automatically) in order to isolate the issue.

The fact that the issue isn't present when you disable the Nvidia graphics from device manager is something to consider when troubleshooting.

Before starting, please uninstall manually all the graphic drivers (OEM and Nvidia) from device manager. Once that you delete them and the basic display driver is exposed, please reboot the computer and check again device manager to make sure that you got rid of them.

Since you own an OEM equipment, the first thing to do will be updating the OEM customized drivers for your machine, found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9560-laptop/drivers http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9560-laptop/drivers

You can look for the latest Nvidia Drivers though their Website:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

I hope to hear from you soon, please let us know the outcome.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

JThom36
Beginner

Hi, thanks for replying. I do not see the "attach" option of which you speak, only the "mention" option. I will copy paste the .txt you're asking for, sorry for the potential headache it may cause.

# SSU Scan Information

Scan Info:

Version:"2.5.0.12"

Date:"05/10/2018"

Time:"00:00:35.2682002"

# Scanned Hardware

Computer:

BaseBoard Manufacturer:"Dell Inc."

BIOS Mode:"UEFI"

BIOS Version/Date:"Dell Inc. 1.9.4 , 04/23/2018 12:00 AM"

CD or DVD:"Not Available"

Embedded Controller Version:"255.255"

Platform Role:"Mobile"

Processor:"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz , GenuineIntel"

Secure Boot State:"On"

SMBIOS Version:"3.0"

Sound Card:"NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)"

Sound Card:"Realtek Audio"

Sound Card:"Intel(R) Display Audio"

System Manufacturer:"Dell Inc."

System Model:"XPS 15 9560"

System SKU:"07BE"

System Type:"x64-based PC"

- "Display"

Intel ® Graphics Driver Version:"1.7.34.0"

- "Intel(R) HD Graphics 630"

Adapter Compatibility:"Intel Corporation"

Adapter DAC Type:"Internal"

Adapter RAM:"1.00 GB"

Availability:"Running or Full Power"

Bits Per Pixel:"32"

- "Caption":"Intel(R) HD Graphics 630"

Link:" http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?keyword=HD+Graphics+630"

CoInstallers:"nvdispgenco6439764.dll,NvGenericCoInstall,nvdispco6439764.dll,NVDisplayCoInstall"

Color Table Entries:"4294967296"

Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"

Driver:"igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Date:"10/16/2017 08:00 PM"

Driver Path:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125190.inf_amd64_f8e6a73bc07f6aa7\igdkmd64.sys"

Driver Provider:"Intel Corporation"

Driver Version:"22.20.16.4836"

INF:"oem16.inf"

INF Section:"iKBLD_w10_DS"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Installed Drivers:"C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125190.inf_amd64_f8e6a73bc07f6aa7\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125190.inf_amd64_f8e6a73bc07f6aa7\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125190.inf_amd64_f8e6a73bc07f6aa7\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125190.inf_amd64_f8e6a73bc07f6aa7\igd12umd64.dll"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

Last Reset:"Not Available"

Manufacturer:"Intel Corporation"

Microsoft DirectX* Version:"DirectX 12"

Monochrome:"No"

Number of Colors:"4294967296"

Number of Video Pages:"Not Available"

PNP Device ID:"PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_591B&SUBSYS_07BE1028&REV_04\3&11583659&0&10"

Power Management Capabilities:"Not Available"

Power Management Supported:"Not Available"

Refresh Rate - Current:"59 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Maximum:"59 Hz"

Refresh Rate - Minimum:"59 Hz"

Resolution:"3840 X 2160"

Scan Mode:"Noninterlaced"

Service Name:"igfx"

Video Architecture:"VGA"

Video Memory:"Unknown"

Video Processor:"Intel(R) HD Graphics Family"

- "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050"

Adapter Compatibility:"NVIDIA"

Adapter DAC Type:"Integrated RAMDAC"

Adapter RAM:"4.00 GB"

Availability:"Offline"

Bits Per Pixel:"Not Available"

Caption:"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050"

CoInstallers:"nvdispgenco6439764.dll,NvGenericCoInstall,nvdispco6439764.dll,NVDisplayCoInstall"

Color Table Entries:"Not Available"

Dedicated Video Memory:"Not Available"

Driver:"nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Date:"05/06/2018 08:00 PM"

Driver Path:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_5a184893dfb38fc1\nvlddmkm.sys"

Driver Provider:"NVIDIA"

Driver Version:"24.21.13.9764"

INF:"oem38.inf"

INF Section:"Section286"

Install Date:"Not Available"

Installed Drivers:"C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_5a184893dfb38fc1\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_5a184893dfb38fc1\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_5a184893dfb38fc1\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdmi.inf_amd64_5a184893dfb38fc1\nvldumdx.dll"

Last Error Code:"Not Available"

Last Error Code Description:"Not Available"

0 Kudos
JThom36
Beginner

Update 2:

Just did a clean install. The issue is only more consistent. Not fixed.

0 Kudos
JThom36
Beginner

I see it now, I didn't before. Same .txt. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ALozo
Beginner

I have the a Dell 9560, with the same issues as described in the original post.

idata
Employee

Hello wunkadurgenfaceball and abn5x

Thank you for your response.

Please go ahead and try the latest Intel Graphic Drivers found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909

Update the drivers through a manual installation. You will find all the steps here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Please let us know the behavior of the machine after the update so we can determine what is going to be the next step

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S
0 Kudos
JThom36
Beginner

Diego,

I manually updated the driver. I restarted my computer and the problem i addressed in my video still exists. The scrolling has been optimized better. I no longer get stuttering, but I still get up to the 80-85% range when doing so.

Here is another .txt if it helps.

Thanks,

Wunka

0 Kudos
ALozo
Beginner

Same thing, as the OP, updating the driver was the first thing I did, when I updated to 1803, and saw the stuttering problems, in hopes that it would be resolved... and no it wasn't... I even tried rolling back to older drivers and the problems still persist.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello wunkadurgenfaceball,

I was checking the issue description you provided, and I strongly believe the issue you have is the same one reported here:

Please check that thread and let me know if it resembles what you experience with your system. If so, I would refer you back to the resolution we have released for this issue.

In a nutshell, Intel already investigated this issue and released a fix with driver 15.65.5.4982 (newer drivers like 24.20.100.6025 also have the fix). However, we also noticed there were some remaining stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience. We've now concluded that our drivers are no longer contributing to this behavior, in fact they're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable. The remaining time observable as stuttering is coming from other parties, which to the best of our knowledge are already investigating and treating this with high priority.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wunkadurgenfaceball ,

We just wanted to double check if you need further help.

Please do not hesitate on replying back if you need more assistance.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
EDe_S1
Beginner

Hi all,

same problem here with a Dell XPS9560. This issue raised with the latest Windows April Update.

If you disable the Nvidia hardware driver via Device Manager the problem disappears, no more stutters when closing applications.

To be more specific I have this problem only with the integrated touch pad, with an external bluetooth mouse I have no problems even if the spikes in the intel GPU still persists.

idata
Employee

I have this too on Dell XPS 9560. I upgraded devices recently and kind of hoped these issues would be fixed on new hardware but sadly they are not. It's additionally frustrating seeing it ignored for years. It's not like we have a choice when it comes to GPU in a quality laptops. I hope AMD's new chips are a success.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello badbat75 and riksterinto,

We understand that you are having performance issues with your OEM equipments.

We will need you to totally disconnect your machine from the internet, and then uninstall all the graphic drivers from you machine until the basic display driver is exposed.

In order to do it, please go ahead and click on the "Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method" option on the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html?_ga=2.123380110.488798421.1525378959-258458104.1514926373&erpm_id=5941618

Please note that you may need to reboot 2 or maybe 3 times your machine after uninstalling the drivers, so you can make sure that you got rid of them.

After that, please go ahead and perform a manual installation of the latest Intel ® Generic drivers that include the fix for your issues as specified before By Ronald M.; here's the direct download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?v=t

Please go ahead and try to update the drivers through a manual installation.

You will find all the steps here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

As well, as specified before and quoting our senior representative words: ''there were some remaining stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience. We've now concluded that our drivers are no longer contributing to this behavior, in fact they're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable. The remaining time observable as stuttering is coming from other parties, which to the best of our knowledge are already investigating and treating this with high priority.

We strongly suggest you to contact your OEM manufacturer so they can try to replica the issue in their systems.''

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've been debugging the Dell XPS 15 9550 for 2 years now, and would be truly impressed if a reinstall would work.

abn5x,badbat75,and riksterinto, could you verify whether /thread/125615 the following thread is related?

In particular, could you try to /message/546928# 546928 replicate the 5 issues I list and see whether they occur to you as well? If they do, I would not even bother reinstalling, as I have been through many reinstalls, 2 motherboard replacements, a screen replacement, and a full replacement, have seen the same problem on the laptop of a colleague, and in fact have never seen it working properly on any XPS 15 with a 4k screen. I've seen similar reports online of people with the XPS 15 9560 like yourself, so believe this is a driver issue or hardware limitation.

1. Opening up Task View on 4k always has reduced performance compared to full HD

2. Scrolling in list view of Windows explorer lags and maxes out GPU

3. Scrolling in some applications is unacceptably slow for a high-end system

4. Window animations of larger windows are less smooth than window animations of smaller windows

5. Some games run smooth in windowed mode, yet rendered at the same resolution, stutter when full screen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello badbat75 and riksterinto,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos