Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

HD Graphics 620 - 3 displays

MGeld
Beginner

I am trying to connect 3 displays to my Acer Swift 3 (the built in display and 2 external monitors). but the graphics card is not picking up the third monitor trhough the USB Type C port. My drivers are up to date. Does this controller support 3 displays?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Are three-display configurations supported using a USB display?

No, using a USB display does not support three-display configurations.

source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005556/graphics-drivers.html Frequently Asked Questions About Configuring Three Displays

0 Kudos
MGeld
Beginner

What's the best way to run 2 extra displays if not the USB?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello edmontonguy

Looking into your situation I want to share with you that to have the 3 displays set up you have to use straight connections, In this case, HDMI® to HDMI® cable and USB type C to USB type C; if you are using adapters please let us know what kind of adapter is it?

Also, could you provide us with your graphics report following the step on this link?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

please attach the report to the thread

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Sabri
Beginner

Hello, i have same problem 

1) Laptop HP probook, 8537

2) Intel UHD 620

i have 3 monitors 2 HP compaq LA2205wg (VGA to HDMI) and 1 Samsung (HDMI) i connected all the monitors to laptop using HDMI SPLITTER.

the problem i cannot find the 3rd monitors in display settings picture attached ((1 is the laptop, 2 is the other 3 monitors)).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Sabri,

You are responding to a 2 year-old conversation. Regardless, rarely are two people's issues truly the same. No argument. Please open your own conversation for the discussion of your issue. Use the Post a Question button on the main Community page to do so.

…S

0 Kudos
MGeld
Beginner

Currently, the 2 displays I have working are:

1. Laptop Screen

2. HDMI to DVI

When I tried to connect the third display I tried using a USB TYPE C to DVI adaptor

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello edmontonguy

Thank you for your reply and the information provided,

Please bear in mind that Intel does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. We can recommend you to update your graphics driver that in some cases will fix the problem; for that update please refer to the following steps:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.2.4901.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click "OK", and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
Let me know the outcome

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello edmontonguy

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
MGeld
Beginner

Yes, I'm still not sure if my machine can handle 3 displays. If I can confirmation that the graphics card can handle it, then I can get to work picking up adapters or whatever. I'd love a clear answer on yes or no, and if yes, what exactly I need to set up to get it working

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello edmontonguy

Thank you for the response.

Looking into the information on the processor and the processor graphics 620, the 3 displays are supported, you can find that information on the following link:

https://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz https://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

Please bear in mind that Intel® does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. We can recommend you to update your graphics driver that in some cases will fix the problem and the use of straight connections (HDMI to HDMI) to set up the 3 display

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello edmontonguy

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
BMath4
Beginner

I'm having the same issue. Intel HD Graphics 620 and three displays: Built-in, one on VGA and one connected to the USB-C port with an adapter (to HDMI, identified by the system as DisplayPort). The display connected through the adapter does not work. This is an Acer Aspire A515-51G and it's the second machine of this type where I've had this issue. Using a USB 2.0-based adapter seems to work, so the error has to be in the way USB-C pipes DisplayPort video through USB-C. I've tried updating the drivers, but it doesn't help.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Let me summarize things this way: Your processor's Intel HD Graphics 620 engine is capable of driving three DisplayPort (DP) 1.4 streams simultaneously. Whether a specific platform exposes all three of these DP streams is a design decision of the manufacturer. Specific Integrated Circuits (ICs) can convert these DisplayPort streams into other formats, such as HDMI or VGA. These ICs can be built into a platform or provided via an external adapter or cable. If a USB-C port is present, it can also expose one of these DP streams.

Some special notes are necessary for laptops - Laptops traditionally have provided support for utilizing only two of these output streams (one for the embedded display and one for an external monitor). If a DP connector is provided for connecting an external monitor, you can sometimes daisy chain two monitors to this connector or connect two monitors via a DP Multi-Stream (MST) Hub and use these monitors independently (i.e. getting to a total of three monitors). In most recent laptops, if a DP, HDMI or VGA port is provided in addition to a USB-C port, this USB-C port will typically not expose a DP stream.

If your attempts to get three monitors working are unsuccessful, you should check with your system/motherboard manufacturer to determine whether support has even been provided for connecting three monitors.

Hope this helps,

...S

BMath4
Beginner

Thank you! It seems then that the Acer A515 (or the Acer A515-51G specifically) doesn't support sending displayport over USB-C. The user will buy a traditional USB3.0 docking station, as these still have their own, built-in graphics adapters. This will allow him to use two external monitors in addition to the built-in screen and HDMI-port.

0 Kudos
JBeau4
Beginner

I have a total of 5 monitors, 4 external and 1 built-in to the laptop.

The Intel HD 620 drivers are not even recognizing the extra monitors and are causing problems.

I have a Lenovo P51s with an ultra dock. This was working perfectly with a Lenovo W541 with an NVIDIA Quadro K1100M. The P51s uses an Intel HD 620 as the Master graphics with an NVIDIA Quadro M520 for better frames per second.This setup doesn't work due to the Intel's limitations. I'm not a gamer and I don't need Super high def video. I just need more screens so I can monitor all the systems that I am an Admin for.

The Windows display settings recognize my monitors, the Nvidia controls recognize my monitors, but the Intel control panel will ONLY show a maximum of three monitors. Why are you setting a limitation on my system? If you are concerned about BSOD's happening due to too many monitors, well... I am a tech and have been fixing BSOD's since Windows 95. It's 23 years later... People who need more than three monitors are likely the kind of people who fix computers.

If I set the Windows Display settings or NVidia display settings to extend the video output to a forth monitor, the intel graphics driver will force one of my other monitors to be disconnected.

I have found that I can get the extra monitors to work using a USB EVGA UVPlus+ 39 to display all 5 monitors, however something in the Intel graphics is causing these displays to fail after some time. The monitors will go blank. I even captured a video of this happening. I need this fixed. I'd suggest creating an option in your driver for: Gaming performance & Tech support performance. The tech support option will allow more monitors with a reduced video performance. What can be done???

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

John,

Did you read my explanation above? This is not a driver limitation; it is a hardware limitation. The processor's graphics engine can only support three displays.

...S