Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20645 Discussions

HD6000 3D Blu ray performance issue

JKosi
Novice

Using PowerDVD 15 I am seeing inconsistent playback of 3D blu ray. When I start a 3D movie (TV is a Vizio M801D-A3; 1080p/24Hz; frame-packing), the image may distort frequently and cause an image that appears to almost look like its viewed underwater. Depth of the image is also incorrect for seemingly random parts of the image. If I then pause the movie for a few seconds, or back up to the beginning of the chapter, the issue so far resolves itself, but sometimes it takes a few tries to do so.

This seems like a driver bug. I did not have this issue using PowerDVD 15 with Nvidia graphics on my previous build. Attached is my Intel system profile and dxdiag report if that helps. I'd appreciate any assistance.

JimK

0 Kudos
153 Replies
JKosi
Novice

I am happy to report that my 3D blu ray issue has not been resolved with driver 4300. Wait.. oh, that should read I am NOT HAPPY. I'm not happy with the lack of information, lack of any form of evidence that this is even being actually investigated by Intel as an actual BUG. I see no reason to again re-post my bug report, so here's a link if anyone from Intel is even going to bother reading it. /message/329087# 329087 https://communities.intel.com/message/329087# 329087

0 Kudos
RCris3
Novice

I am in the same position. It seems that Intel - after telling me time and time again to please be patient (like they were ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE ISSUE!) - has now taken to ignoring me too. I haven't gotten any updates on my ticket or from this forum (other than you asking for help too) since July.

Thanks Intel. Thanks a super whole lot. I sold my old HTPC because this was going to be my HTPC replacement. Now my 3000 dollar 3d projector and 12 pairs of glasses never get used for 3d anymore. That's just awesome.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

I'm holding out hope that more users with this issue will contribute to the thread so it doesn't get buried. Until this is fixed, my NUC purchase is not providing all of its advertised capabilities

0 Kudos
PLumb
Beginner

Hi,

I just built a new HTPC using the Core i5-6600 CPU, Intel Z170 chipset, clean install of Win 10 64b and PowerDVD15. Fully updated BIOS, PowerDVD software and Intel drivers fresh from their website.

Same issue as described here. Like watching 3D movies under water clearly the left-right frame sync is not working with the Intel setup. As soon as there is movement in the picture it becomes unbearable to watch.

And I thought that this would be a nice upgrade from the AMD APU A10 I had been using before..... At least that AMD setup could play the 3D blurays without problems.

This is without a doubt an Intel driver issue - I wish I had checked a forum like this before upgrading my setup. If I had, I would not have bothered. This is soooo very frustrating, and quite frankly very unexpected that Intel would be this bad at writing drivers for their hardware.

I've tried changing all the recommended settings in the display driver settings, I've also disabled de-interlacing etc. in PowerDVD, but nothing works.

If there are any ideas out there to help with this issue, I'm "all ears"..

Thanks - just needed to "vent off steam".

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Sorry to hear you have this problem, but it helps validate this issue is not necessarily specific to a setup, but is in fact an unresolved driver issue. First the 5th gen, and now the 6th gen NUC also have the exact same problem...tells me they dont know how to fix, or it isn't any real priority. I have received assurances that the "team" will look at the problem, but at this point I don't have any reason to believe it.

0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

sclaws:

I use madvr for videos, it has just got the following updates.. you might want to give it a try and see if it resolves your issues. You will have to use a player like MPC-HC with it. Yes, there is a learning curve getting it set-up, but once you figure it out (player, lav, madvr), you understand how all the pieces fit together and what the different options do. It is worth doing. I don't use VLC anymore.

madVR v0.90.3

* frame packed 3D: display mode is now always changed to 1080p23

* frame packed 3D: smooth motion FRC is now always off

* 3D: side-by-side quality is improved (proper scaling instead of Bilinear)

* 3D: added top-and-bottom, line alternative and column alternative modes

* 3D: added "swap left / right eye" option

* profile rules: added "3D" boolean variable

* profile rules: added "+", "-", "*", "/", ":" math support

* profile rules: number fields can now be used on both equation sides

madVR v0.90.0

* added support for 3D decoders (IMediaSample3D)

* added support for 3D frame packed playback via HDMI 1.4+ (requires win8.1+)

* added support for native 10bit 4:2:0 DXVA decoding (+ scaling)

* added "Reconstruction" chroma upsampling algorithm (replaces NEDI option)

* updated SuperRes algorithm for chroma upscaling

* replaced luma upscaling "linear light" with "sigmoidal light" option

* sharpen edges is now ever so slightly brighter than before

* updated AdaptiveSharpen to version 2016-01-07

* fixed: D3D11 presentation crashed NVidia driver if 3D vision was enabled

* if DCI-P3 3dlut isn't selected, BT.2020 3dlut is used instead (if available)

* if BT.2020 3dlut isn't selected, DCI-P3 3dlut is used instead (if available)

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Thanks Sunspark for the info. If I have time I may try this, but I've ordered a Zotac EN760 with an nvidia GPU and plan to sell off the NUC and not look back. Its been a frustrating several months.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

I tried the new 4243 drivers. No change in the 3D playback issues.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Hansb-

Has any testing occurred yet?

0 Kudos
ADi_L
New Contributor I

I'm in the same boat. I did a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit on my NUC5i5RYH with the latest driver (10.18.15.4256), and have similar 3D problems with the latest PowerDVD 15 (build 2003).

I also have a 34010WYK NUC that I originally had Windows 7 on. It had no issues with an earlier video driver with PowerDVD with 3D, regardless of it coming from a Blu Ray or a side-by-side MKV file. Now that I upgraded it to Windows 10 with the latest video driver I have the same issue as with the NUC5i5RYH.

Are we the only people making use of the 3D capability of the NUC? Does 3D work for anyone right now? I'm a little surprised it's not even listed as a "known issue" in the latest video driver release notes.

The problem can be seen whenever there is a scene change or fast motion. It has been described as a water effect, I see it as a "stream of white" as it repaints the image. A good example of this for any Marvel super hero movie fans is to observe the Marvel logo at the beginning of each movie as it rotates. You can see the stream of white over and over. It almost gives me a headache.

For the record, I am using a Denon X3000 receiver and a BenQ W1070 projector. Again, this used to work with Win7 and an older video driver.

Please fix this!

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Here is my bug report in the Graphics forum.

/message/329087# 329087 https://communities.intel.com/message/329087# 329087

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Trying to keep hope alive with a bump...

0 Kudos
ADi_L
New Contributor I

It would be nice if Intel would at least acknowledge there is an issue by putting it in the unresolved issues section of the graphics driver.

So is no one else using 3D on their 5th gen NUCs, or is it just us select few that have major problems with it?

This is an advertised feature...this almost borders on false advertising! It's never worked as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

I apologize for the delay on providing a solution or fix for you. Our engineering team is still working towards a solution for this, however; there is no ETA at this point.

I'm seeing you are using Driver Version: 10.18.14.4222, however; there is a new release Driver Version: 15.36.26.4294 / Release Version: Production Version / Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows* 7 and Microsoft Windows* 8.1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25425/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7/8.1* [15.36] and you are welcome to test it.

0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

Hi, one thing worth trying is a different driver. Intel has two separate driver teams for graphics that do not share a common codebase. The other one is for Linux.

I would suggest that you download a beta of Ubuntu 15.10 and boot it in live cd mode (use a flash drive) and give it a try with VLC. The graphics are part of the kernel and that version has 4.2 of the kernel. 15.04 is 3.19 kernel which also works on a NUC but I can't test for you because I don't have 3D.

If it works, then you can set up a dual-boot on your NUC.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Thanks Sunspark for the suggestion. In my case this isn't an option...I have used Mediaportal in Windows for years as a front-end and need to keep easy use accessible to my family (using Harmony remotes). Also, I don't believe VLC can play frame-packed 3D blu ray, just SBS (might be wrong but havent found info otherwise). I appreciate the response tho.

0 Kudos
Ricardo_G_Intel1
Employee

Our engineering team is still working towards a solution for this, but there is no ETA at this point.

Please check https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center for new coming driver releases.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

I again see zero mention of this issue in RELEASE NOTES for new drivers, let alone a hint that this issue is being worked on in any capacity other than the "team. Dare I even bother with 4326, or write it off as a still-unattended-to problem that the "team" is supposedly working on?? This is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Intel:

At what point should I request a hardware replacement from you for a NUC that functions as advertised? Considering the time that has elapsed since notifying you of this issue and your lack of details regarding a fix with the Broadwell NUC line, I believe we're at a point where a positive response toward remedy for the customer (me) is justified.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Intel, what is the status of investigating this issue???

0 Kudos