Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20647 Discussions

HD6000 3D Blu ray performance issue

JKosi
Novice

Using PowerDVD 15 I am seeing inconsistent playback of 3D blu ray. When I start a 3D movie (TV is a Vizio M801D-A3; 1080p/24Hz; frame-packing), the image may distort frequently and cause an image that appears to almost look like its viewed underwater. Depth of the image is also incorrect for seemingly random parts of the image. If I then pause the movie for a few seconds, or back up to the beginning of the chapter, the issue so far resolves itself, but sometimes it takes a few tries to do so.

This seems like a driver bug. I did not have this issue using PowerDVD 15 with Nvidia graphics on my previous build. Attached is my Intel system profile and dxdiag report if that helps. I'd appreciate any assistance.

JimK

0 Kudos
153 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I will be requesting an update from the management team regarding this situation, as soon as I get an update, I will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi sclaws,

This is in fact being investigated by Intel but no update at this point.

Can you please confirm that you are running latest BIOS https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25581/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A- Download BIOS Update [RYBDWi35.86A] ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

I already checked your sysinfo.nfo file attached and previous posts but I would also like to confirm what Graphics Driver version you have tried.

If you can provide me with that information would be really helpful.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Hi rguevara,

Thanks for the response and update. I did update to BIOS 0352 recently. Also, I have used every graphics driver as it was released since I picked up the NUC. I'm currently on 4300. Yesterday I tried to watch Mad Max: Fury Road 3D using PowerDVD 15 Ultra (currently version 2211).The problem still exists as described.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi sclaws,

Thank you for the information, I work for Intel Customer Support and I would like to let you know that we are looking into this issue.

I cant promise anything at this point and honestly I don't know if a workaround or a fix will be available but I will keep this post updated with any progress we make.

I truly apologize for the inconvenience your having with this product.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Thanks again for the prompt response. I appreciate the complexities of troubleshooting issues such as this, yet continue to be troubled at the potential of this kind of bug going unresolved...it is a specific capability advertised as a product feature--one of the key features, in fact--that sold me on the NUC as a media player solution. With the product not meeting this capability, the situation is problematic at best, and product deception at worst. I do not believe it is/was Intel's intent to mislead, but what recourse does that leave a user as myself left with a product that does not perform as described? Other than 3D blu ray playback, the NUC performs as expected...yet without reliable 3D playback I still must conclude this device is not functioning as it was advertised. This remains a very frustrating situation. I hope your technicians will find a solution before dismissing the NUC 5th generation as obsolete and discontinuing development.

0 Kudos
HGeba1
Beginner

Hey Sclaws,

I hope, this is no stupid question-did you try disabling Hardware Support in PowerDVD?

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Hi Harold_Nue,

Yeah, I had tried that...made sense to me too that the issue would likely be resolved that way as well, but surprisingly it persisted. I'm at a loss with this whole thing.

0 Kudos
HGeba1
Beginner

Ok, It was worthy asking.

In mid of November, I bought also a NUC5i5 and was happy with its power, until I tried PowerDVD. Observed the same strange effects and found your thread here.

After sleeping some nights over the typical customer support phrases you got, I decided to return it to Amazon.

I planned to waiting for NUC6i5 (incl. praying for not having those troubles with Iris 540), but Amazon offered the Zotac zbox ID45 ("only" Intel i3 but with dedicated Geforce 640 graphics) with its Christmas sale for nearly half the price of NUC5i5, and until now, I dont regret buying it.

I have strong doubts that Intel will fix this issue, which is-in respect to the great hardware-a pity.

Keeping the time spans between the latest answers in mind, they seem not really interested in doing any action (apart from writing posts).

But I hope that I'm wrong...

Cheers,

Harold

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

I think I may follow in your footsteps and look at Zotac...thx for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
FHani1
Beginner

I have the same issues with the new Skylake Intel NUC6i5syk with Intel iris Graphics 540.

I use Windows 10 and the newest PowerDVD Ultra 15 Version !

All drivers, and Bios are the newest...

It can't be that this big Problem is not solved yet !!!

I'm very depressed....

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

I guess I have myself to blame for thinking the issue was generation-related. I also picked up a NUC6i5SYK, and the EXACT SAME 3D BLU RAY ISSUE PERSISTS. Wow. Just....really, Intel?! Fix. This. Problem!

0 Kudos
HGeba1
Beginner

Before my God, I might not this believe without the sensible and true avouch of mine own eyes.

0 Kudos
RCris3
Novice

Hey there sclaws. You and I talked about this before. Same deal for me. I got the 6i5syk this time, though, so I spent even more money for a non-working product. Sigh. I don't think they have any interest in fixing it, at this point... that or they just don't know what's wrong.

I am going to go back to using my gaming PC with a really long HDMI cable for 3d movies, I guess.

0 Kudos
JKosi
Novice

Hi Randyc. I had a bad feeling that I was making the same mistake when I ordered the 6-series NUC...unfortunately I was right. I simply cannot understand how this kind of bug can not be addressed...now across two product releases. A small part of me hopes that Intel is capable of resolving this issue that seems to me is a driver bug, but like you warned me months ago, I am losing faith that Intel even gives a rip about this.

0 Kudos
BHora1
Novice

I'm in the same boat with latest sklake NUC6i5syk. 3D has same issues as described by sclaws. Terrible, false advertising by intel.

0 Kudos
RCris3
Novice

I think the real issue here is that we - the users who actually use this for an HTPC and expect 3d playback - are a small percentage of NUC users. Therefore, why waste resources resolving this issue? I understand the business concept of it, but I don't have to like it.

RPrin3
Beginner

I used to have the exact same issue with my NUC5i5RYK - until I resorted to downloading the 3D versions of the movies and watching them with PotPlayer. Haven't watched a single disc-based 3D movie on Blu-Ray again. It's very disappointing that this is happening but substantially more disappointing that no one at Intel has really stepped up and really looked at the issue (as far as I can tell).

Hope you get your issue resolved - I would definitely try Sunspark's advice, I use MADVR on my NUC as well and have never looked back.

0 Kudos
BHora1
Novice

So I installed the latets MadVR, LAV filters and MPC-BE, got everything setup. 2D works great, 3D (I'm using makemkv to generate a 3D mkv file), madVR generates the 3d correctly...and then lo and behold, the same 3d artifacts appear. Image distorts frequently and Depth is incorrect at random parts of the image. If I back up or pause, it fixes itself and then later on happens again. The artifacts look like you are viewing the image underwater.

So this really proves that it's the fault of the intel driver because now 3 different softwares: Power DVD, Stereoscopic Player and now madVR all give me broken 3D and with the same artifacts across all three different softwares.

So frustrating that after all these years, Intel has not even fixed this in the skylake NUC.

0 Kudos
BHora1
Novice

If this helps your engineers, here is a video that sclaws made really detailing what the issue is

http://1drv.ms/1SK79kV http://1drv.ms/1SK79kV

thanks

0 Kudos
BDavi8
Beginner

wow, I seen cam-rips that looked better than that, what a shame to, hopefully it will get sorted one day...

0 Kudos