Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21075 Discussions

HDMI monitor not independent of laptop display

LG1
Beginner

Background -- first machine:

• I spent $800 (plus insurance and tax = $1k) an HP Envy 2-in-1 (detachable keyboard). Bestbuy site says it has an M-70 processor and HD graphics 5300 card. 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD. Win 8.1, 64 bit.
  • My 2-external monitors worked fine with it: laptop display, HDMI monitor, and 2nd external connected with USB-to-VGA adapter. Extend across all three.
  • When a key app froze (despite 100% CPU devoted to it), I found that the clock speed was only a little over 1GHz. It was replacing an old 2.4 GHz laptop and I didn't want to go backward in speed, so I returned the unit.

New machine ($1400):

• HP Spectre x360 with i7-5500U CPU (2.4 GHz), HD graphics 5500, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD. Win 8.1, 64 bit.
  • Before I could test the app that froze on the other machine, I wanted to set up the same monitor system.
  • It recognizes the HDMI monitor -- 3 monitors are identified by number; its name shows up in the list. But behavior is bizarre.
    • In Control Panel>appearance...>display>screen resolution -- the HDMI monitor is first listed together with the laptop display in a "1|2 Multiple displays"
    • If I right click the desktop and choose Graphics Options>Output to...>Extended Display> and then either Built-in+Digital TV or Digital TV+Built-in:
      • The desktop displays on all three, but the cursor skips the HDMI monitor
      • Right now I have Graphics Options>Output to...>Digital TV
    • I've had various other Screen Resolution settings that I can't remember.

Right now I have it extend display to # 2 (the HDMI) and to display # 3 (USB-to-VGA). The Mobile PC Display is not active. This gives me more than one monitor, but I don't understand why a more expensive machine with a faster processor and an HD Graphics 5500 card can't do what a 5300 can do.

The first item on this page http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm?wapkw=3+monitors+hd+5300 http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm?wapkw=3+monitors+hd+5300 doesn't list the 5500, but at the bottom, it says "This applies to:" the 5500 "for 5th generation intel core processors". I don't know what generation mine is. W8.1 says the driver is the right one.

Is my current result the best I can expect with this machine?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I copied the following text from the article you linked above:

What three independent display configurations are supported?

Three independent displays are supported with most combinations of HDMI*, DVI, VGA, DisplayPort* (DP), Embedded DP (eDP), and Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi).

Are three display configurations supported using a USB display?

Three display configurations are not supported using a USB display.

LG1
Beginner

I remember that the startech USB/VGA adapter has its own graphics card and says it will support up to 5 displays, presumably with 5 available USB ports.

The last quote must mean it won't support 2 USB externals. I've used the HDMI + USB for years on the old Sony I'm replacing, as well as on the HP Envy I just returned.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I understand that video over USB worked for you in the past; however, it is not officially supported.

I suggest using any of the other supported options if possible.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi LewG,

While USB/VGA adapter manufacturers may state maximum capabilities of their devices, our support states what we know to be working and the behavior we expect having completed validation with the supported configurations. USB/VGA adapters can vary in design and implementation; being unsupported doesn't mean it won't work, it means we don't guarantee which models will and won't since behavior is inconsistent.

Since this is a brand new HP laptop it should be covered under HP warranty, what did HP customer support have to say? Did you open a ticket yet?

Also, be sure you're using HP's latest released graphics driver for your specific laptop. OEM's often make optimizations in their drivers to fix issues and enhance features which would not be present in the generic Intel drivers.