Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20628 Discussions

HDMI not working on TVs, only pc monitors

gcurr1
Beginner

Hi everyone.

I've unplugged the HDMI cable from my notebook with the power cable plugged in as well, and it made some static noise.

From that point on, cant get any video signal on any TV, although it does works on computer monitors, which is kind of odd.

Already tried different cables, different TVs, installed Linux, went back to Win10, reset my TV, everything.

A local computer service store told me the problem was with the integrated GPU, but as i said it works with monitors.

The notebook (ASUS F556U) also has a dedicated GeForce 940m, but the BIOS its very basic and cant get to use that one all the time, it only activates with 3D graphics (i think).

Anyone has any ideas whatsoever to what can i do now, before having to buy a new CPU? (its a i7 6500U, not sure ill find something with FCBGA1356 socket anymore).

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
31 Replies
gcurr1
Beginner
0 Kudos
gcurr1
Beginner
0 Kudos
gcurr1
Beginner
0 Kudos
gcurr1
Beginner
0 Kudos
gcurr1
Beginner
0 Kudos
gcurr1
Beginner
0 Kudos
gcurr1
Beginner

VGA Monitor didn't work: Samsung 2043nwx

HDMI Monitor didn't work: CX CX215H

HDMI Monitor worked: Samsung C24F390FHL

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello gcurr1,

Thank you for your response.

We will review the reports and update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello gcurr1,

Thank you for waiting for our response and the information provided.

Another recommendation that we have for you would be the following:

1. Disconnect the computer from the network.
  2. Open the Device Manager.
  3. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  4. Find the Intel Graphics Driver.
  5. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  6. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device.
  7. The system must go through a restart to complete the uninstall process.
  8. If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in the device manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' If not, repeat steps 1 through 6.
  9. Plug the computer to the TV through HDMI and check if is detected and works. (Without internet connection).

If the issue persists even with the Microsoft display adapter, this would point to a hardware issue or OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customization. In both cases, we would recommend you to get in contact with your OEM.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
gcurr1
Beginner

Hi Abigail, did it twice until it showed like that, but sadly it's still not working. Didn't have much hope though as I tried installing Linux before with no effect, guessing that if it is a software thing, is something low level.

I'll get in touch with Asus support if you guys think there's nothing else to try.

Thanks a million anyway for your time.

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello gcurr1,

You're welcome! I will close this inquiry now. But you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos