Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

HDMI sound lost

BAlve2
Beginner

I have two windows 7 PCs with i3-6100 providing graphics and sound through HDMI. Both of them sporadically have the HDMI sound go away. Typically, the playback audio devices no longer shows an entry for "Intel(R) Dispay Audio" and has a red X. Typically I can fix it by uninstalling the "Intel(R) Display Audio" driver and then scan for hardware changes to reinstall it. Occasionally it is more complicated, but if this could be fixed it would be a huge improvement. One of the PCs is an HTPC where it is very user un-friendly to have to pull out a mouse and walk through the steps to reinstall to get sound working, particularly for family members who just want to watch recorded TV.

Currently I am running the 4463 driver. I tried the 4501 driver but it seemed markedly worse with respect to hitting this problem. Of course I could have just been unlucky since it is sporadic. However we still hit it almost every day at least once. I attached the SSU for the HTPC taken while I had the "red X". The HTPC is connected to an Insignia 37 inch TV via HDMI. I have also hit the problem on a desktop PC connected to a HP 2310m display. Any ideas on how to avoid this problem or track it down so it can be fixed?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
idata
Employee

Have you tried changing the HDMI cable?

I understand that using low-quality cables may cause this type of behaviour.

Please let me know once you test HDMI cables.

Allan.
0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

I can try different HDMI cables, but note that the problem is already occurring on two different systems for me. Each has their own motherboard (not the same), both have i3-6100 processors, each has their own HDMI cable, and each has a different monitor (one a TV, the other an HP monitor). Also, both systems were upgraded from AMD AM3 based systems. Neither of those systems had any trouble with the same HDMI cables and monitors.

Bob

0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

I swapped the cable with a different system and have the same problem on the computer with the Insignia TV display. So, changing the cable did not affect the problem. I have not changed the driver yet; didn't want to change more than one thing at a time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Were you able install new graphics drivers?

Allan.
0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

Yes, I tried the 4539 experimental driver. I noticed that the included Display Audio driver version is 3197, the same as with 4464. It only took one sleep-resume cycle to get the Red X. Maybe if they actually changed the Display Audio driver there would be some real hope.

0 Kudos
DKize
Novice

I have seen the same issue with the last 2 beta drivers. It is NOT my cable because immediately after uninstalling the beta update and reinstalling the latest non-beta driver, the Intel Audio driver reinstalls and the sound works again. This can be repeated endlessly. My monitor is a Dell U3515W.

idata
Employee

I will check this issue internally and update this thread with my findings.

Allan.
BAlve2
Beginner

Intel Corporation wrote:

I will check this issue internally and update this thread with my findings.

Allan.

Any update from internal?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Some people make reference to driver version 4534 from Microsoft* that fixes this issue. Some of them with the latest generic driver provided by Intel version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26404/Intel-Graphics-Driver-15-45-?product=88345 4542

You could also try the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26464/Intel-Graphics-Beta-Driver-15-45-?product=88345 beta driver

Allan.
0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

Intel Corporation wrote:

Some people make reference to driver version 4534 from Microsoft* that fixes this issue. Some of them with the latest generic driver provided by Intel version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26404/Intel-Graphics-Driver-15-45-%3Fproduct%3D88345 4542

You could also try the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26464/Intel-Graphics-Beta-Driver-15-45-%3Fproduct%3D88345 beta driver

Allan.

I have tried 4542 already. Failed rather quickly. I find that 4464 fails in a way that reinstalling the driver usually fixes it. Avoiding a reboot (to fix sound) is a big advantage when I have TV shows recording in the background.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for sharing this information. Let's wait for future drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software I do not have an exact date for new releases but I recommend keep on checking download page.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

Just got driver 21.20.16.4550 and it fails also. Most of the recent drivers are worse than my favorite 15.40.25.4464 in this respect. The recent ones fail quickly, and fail such that the Intel HD Audio device no longer shows up in the device manager. That prevents my "easy" fix of reinstalling the driver for it.

Note that I have this problem with two completely different motherboards (Asrock H170M-ITX/DL and Asrock rack C236 ITX), and three different "monitors" (HP 2310m, Insignia NS-L37Q TV, and Sony XBR49X800C TV). The common factor is the Intel I3-6100 processor which provides the video (and windows 7 x64 software).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for updating the post.

I see a new driver available at downloadcenter.intel.com

Please test driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26464/Intel-Graphics-Beta-Driver-15-45-?product=88345 4552 and let me know your findings.

Allan,
0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

I had the same problem, the last drivers are broken. I had to roll back to 4360.

Now I'm using driver 4360 and it works well.

0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

I couldn't find that driver version (4360) on the Intel site, but I did try 4424. It has the audio driver version 3196 (i.e. not 3197). It still fails in the same way.

0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

I downloaded version 4360 from the official MSI site some weeks ago.

Now I'm using version 21.20.16.4534 with Intel Display Audio version 10.22.0.37. I don't have this problem anymore. I installed them through Windows Device Manager

0 Kudos
BAlve2
Beginner

I have now tried the following drivers and had them fail:

15.40.xx.4539

I am now trying 15.40.10.4300. It also happens to be the driver on the Asrock website for my motherboard, but is very old. I'm not sure if your 21.20.16.4534 applies to my 6th gen Skylake cpu graphics. I don't see anything like it on Intel's list of drivers for my hardware.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have checked the *.cab file (4534 ) and it does show SKL or Skylake support for Win 7-8-8.1-10

Allan.
0 Kudos
SGapu
New Contributor I

Yes, I have Skylake i5-6600 and it works well.

0 Kudos