Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

HDR feature missing after Creators Update

gsher2
Novice

Hello,

regarding to hdr support after creators update, also mentioned in this post ( )

seems like the current drivers which released before the creators update doesn't support WDDM 2.2

any idea when or how we will be able to enable this feature - i'm asking cause amd and nvidia released their updated drivers few weeks ago.

Thanks

Guy.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello guy877,

I understand you are not being able to enable HDR feature after Windows* Creators Update was installed.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Let me also know the model number of the display you are using.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
gsher2
Novice

thank you for your assistance

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello guy877,

Thanks for the information you sent to me.

I will do further research about this issue, and then I will post here troubleshooting steps for this problem.

Regards,

Fred
0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hello guy877,

WDDM 2.2 drivers are not available yet, they are going to be launching exclusively for https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/82879/Kaby-Lake Kaby Lake products and your https://ark.intel.com/products/95066/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BNH Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH is Kaby Lake. I still dont dont have any information about when the driver is going to be available. I would recommend that you keep an eye on the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95066/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BNH Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BNH for updates.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
RIssa1
Novice

Is there a beta tester program for such drivers? (those of us who want to try a beta of the WDDM 2.2 drivers on Win10 Creator's Update w/ Kaby Lake)

0 Kudos
PWech
Beginner

Hi rguevara

Meanwhile we are months apart, there are WDDM 2.2 drivers and the Windows 10 Fall Update - but still no Hdr. Where is it? Any official comment?!

0 Kudos
RIssa1
Novice

We're coming up on 3 months since creators update to Windows release (April 11), and still no HDR / wddm 2.2 drivers, despite initial press releases for Kaby lake advertising that it supports HDR (ie Netflix app). I'm wondering at this point why I didn't go with an AMD/nVidia powered box, since they've managed to release wddm 2.2 drivers since day one. (¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

0 Kudos
gsher2
Novice

I think the only way right now to get hdr is using powerdvd 17 ultra fullscreen mode.

I can confirm HDR is WORKING on NUC7i3 in that way and looks great and smooth on my lg uhd tv.

0 Kudos
RIssa1
Novice

guy877

How are you confirming this? I have a Samsung KS8000 series TV using the latest 1180.5 firmware. When on an HDMI input, you can hit the "123" button then the "i" for info. It pops-up the graphics input options, and it says UHD 3840x2160 / 60p HDMI UHD Color. On my PS4 Pro, when I am watching a Netflix HDR video it as an "HDR" in a box before UHD. The same is true when playing a PS4 Pro game with HDR enabled.

With the latest Kaby Lake NUC drivers (i have an i5 NUC), there is NO way the input info ever indicates HDR. Doesn't matter if I'm on RGB, limited range, full range, YCBCR, etc. Also doesn't matter if my TV is in "PC" mode or "Blu-Ray Player Mode." I've also tested a ripped HDR Main10 (HEVC) video using MPC, and PowerDVD Ultra 17 (latest build) -- nothing engages the "HDR" logo within the video info tab on my TV.

Again, there's no WDDM 2.2 Intel Graphics drivers that engage the Win10 Creator's Update 10bpc color depth, so I'm not sure that you're in fact getting HDR. It doesn't matter if PowerDVD17 is capable of playing back an HDR Main10 video, if the Intel Graphics Drivers don't utilize WDDM 2.2 (which Intel has responded currently that they're due in early second half of 2017), it doesn't matter what player you use... the HDR content isn't getting passed along from your NUC to the TV.

EDIT: Further evidence of this is the fact that there's no way in Intel's drivers to allow the user to discriminate/toggle between 8bpc color and 10bpc color. Either the signal you're sending is 8bpc color at 4:4:4 OR 10bpc color (which allows for HDR) at 4:2:0. Because the drivers don't have WDDM 2.2 and they don't provide an option to toggle color bit depth, I've confirmed that the signal being sent is only 8bpc color at 4:4:4... which renders HDR impossible.

There's a lot of problems going on with Kaby Lake graphics drivers and it looks like Intel's trying to stay above water. We have whole threads of people who have unstable output flickering and cut-outs on builds past 4664 (and even some on 4664). I think this is priority over them getting HDR working in the latest drivers, so I suspect the "early second half 2017" won't hold (we're already almost in Sep.). Again, nVidia and AMD have had working HDR about 4-5 months ago (since April). I was a first adopter of the first Intel NUC, but I'm sad to say at this point the whole sales pitch of the Kaby Lake NUC being a media user's dream has become a bit of a nightmare. I'm patiently waiting by for a life-line, but I'm not sure how many resource Intel has truly dedicated to their graphics engineering division. It would serve them best to do some workforce poaching from nVidia/AMD to figure out how to get their graphics products and drivers up to par in terms of quality control and features.

0 Kudos
DParr1
Beginner

New HD Graphics Driver now available with support for HDR Version: 15.60.0.4849

0 Kudos