Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Hello, how can i monitor HD 620 GPU temperature ?

AChri18
Beginner

Hello,

I'm currently running on Fedora 30, kernel 5.3.5-200.fc30.x86_64 with the CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U.

It's seems to be the CPU and the GPU are not on the same DIE but when i want to check the current temperature of the GPU (with sensors command) i can only have the 4 core temperatures.

Same problem if i search into /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone

Example :

sensors command return : coretemp-isa-0000 Adapter: ISA adapter Package id 0: +44.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C) Core 0: +44.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C) Core 1: +43.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C) Core 2: +44.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C) Core 3: +44.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)   BAT0-acpi-0 Adapter: ACPI interface in0: +12.94 V curr1: +0.00 A   iwlwifi-virtual-0 Adapter: Virtual device temp1: +34.0°C   pch_cannonlake-virtual-0 Adapter: Virtual device temp1: +41.0°C   acpitz-acpi-0 Adapter: ACPI interface temp1: +45.0°C (crit = +120.0°C)

Do you know if there is any temperature sensor for the GPU only in CPU model or it's only cores sensors ?

If it's true, is it not dangerous if the software only uses the GPU and not the CPU, to not detect the GPU temperature ? We cannot use the CPU sensors because they are not on the same DIE.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Chris.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AChri18,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

First, we would like to make sure that we understood your inquiry. 

1. It is worth mentioning that the processor graphics is integrated (built-in) in the processor itself. In other words, the integrated graphics is on the same die as the CPU cores, and other components found on the processor die.

2. There are thermal sensors within a CPU, one in each CPU core, but there is no thermal sensor for the Intel® Processor Graphics.

3. Regarding your question about software using only the GPU to perform tasks, processors have two modes of thermal protection: throttling and automatic shutdown. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will reduce power to maintain a safe temperature level. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings. If the processor is unable to maintain a safe operating temperature through throttling actions, it will automatically shut down to prevent permanent damage.'

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AChri18
Beginner

Hello,

First, thank you to taking time to answer me.

So if i understood well, there is no currently sensors for GPU temperature. If any software uses GPU, i need to check CPU cores temperature and frequency to know if the CPU is currently into throttling mode.

But it's seems a prety weird solutions, if any software uses only GPU and not CPU core, how to have a good Fan management ?

The frequency of the GPU are the same for the CPU cores ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Chris.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AChri18,

• "If any software uses GPU, i need to check CPU cores temperature and frequency to know if the CPU is currently into throttling mode."

This is correct. Tjunction max is the maximum thermal junction temperature that a processor will allow prior to using internal thermal control mechanisms to reduce power and limit temperature.

• Fan management.

In this scenario, an adequate cooling solution is recommended. Since your system was designed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), they have to make sure the system meets the requirements to keep the processor cool.

• Frequency of the processor graphics.

The clock frequencies of the processor graphics are different. For more information, please refer to the Product Specifications > Processor Graphics > Graphics Base Frequency / Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency.

It is worth mentioning that the Graphics frequency will depend on the Power Management options set on the computer. Its performance also depends on the processor usage and the applications running.

Wanner G.

AChri18
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and all information you bought for me.

I found the problem that caused the crash : a bad fan management.

i was able to solved my problem.

Kind regards, Chris

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AChri18,

We are glad to know that you were able to fix the problem you were having.

We will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos