Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20895 Discussions

Help! Black Screen of Death on Windows 10

MMcCo4
Beginner

About 3 weeks ago I reinstall Windows 10 64-bit on my Dell Inspiron 14 5447 laptop. Things worked pretty well before I did that but I wanted a clean start. With the exception of the Realtek SD card reader driver, I used only drivers that were supplied by Windows update.

Well I found out that I was getting intermittent black screens of death after waking my computer from sleep. After much research I installed 9.5.21.1754 of the IEMI driver from Dell's support page for this laptop and it fixed the problem and life was good. At this point the Intel video driver was 10.18.15.4256.

Well a few days ago the video driver got updated to 20.19.15.4331 and I am getting black screens of death after a restart (but not a shutdown followed by a power on). After this black screen of death I have to hold the power button down for 10-15 seconds and have it reboot. The only way that I can consistently get it to start after doing a restart is to keep hitting a key on the keyboard. What is going on with this?

I've tried the Dell driver for this computer, 10.18.15.4278 with the same bad results.

This is a Haswell processor with Intel HD Graphics 4400.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello MikeMcCollister,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Try our generic driver you can download it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

At this point I suggest uninstalling the other graphics driver before installing this one and restart your system, once your system is restart install the generic driver, if the generic driver does not work try doing the same with the DELL driver, uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it after reboot.

Best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
MMcCo4
Beginner

Ivan,

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight and let you know if this works.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
MMcCo4
Beginner

Ivan,

Before I do this, I seem to recall trying the generic driver and it would not allow me to install it. Is there a way to get around that?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

A customized version of the Intel Graphics Driver is installed on your computer. This occurs when your computer manufacturer, or Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), has chosen to change features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software.

How to fix it

To resolve this error, download and install the appropriate graphics driver from your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html computer manufacturer's website. Manufacturers recommend the Intel Graphics Drivers customized and validated for your specific computer model.

If you choose to install our generic driver you can find a workaround here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html Error Message: Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected

It will be a good idea to report your issue to your system manufacturer as well.

0 Kudos
MMcCo4
Beginner

Thanks for your help. I could never get it to work so I just did a clean install of Windows and that fixed the problem. I'm using all drivers that were detected by Windows at install time.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

I'm glad that your issue has been resolve and thank you for sharing the information with us.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
MMcCo4
Beginner

Ivan,

I talked too soon. After doing a clean install of Windows 10 version 1511 it worked fine for a day. After I finished copying over my data and installing my apps the problem started again. I figured that one of the apps caused the problem so I decided to start over. After a clean install after the first reboot it got stuck on the black screen of death. After some power cycles I was able to get the rest of the drivers installed from Windows update. I kept getting the black screen of death after restarts. After doing yet another clean install I had the same problem but after a few restarts it seems to be working now. I'm going to be creating system restore points after every app that I install and when it breaks back off one and see what happens.

It looks like there is some serious problem with Windows 10 and Intel on this issue.

If my screen goes black after a reboot again is there a way to determine which driver is the culprit?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Try updating windows with all the updates available and also I found this link where some people were able to solve this problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/10457-fix-windows-10-booting-black-screen-5.html http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/10457-fix-windows-10-booting-black-screen-5.html

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

At this point we will need to wait for a new driver to be released in order to solve more issues like this.

0 Kudos
MMcCo4
Beginner

Ivan,

After further tinkering I decided to disable the touchscreen display by disabling the HID-compliant touch screen in the device manager. After I did this all worked well. Every reboot worked just fine. This is with all drivers from Microsoft and none from Dell.

I then decided to re-enable the touchscreen and found that I was having the black screen of death problem again, as expected. The next time the computer restarted with the black screen of death, I decided to touch the screen and behold the computer responded and the screen came on. I have been working on the issue for over a month and it did not occur to me to simply touch the screen if it was black. Ugh! I don't know how many times I did a clean Windows install on this computer to try to figure out which driver was giving me the problem. I was focusing on the video and IMEI drivers, without any luck. While the problem may still be with the video and/or IMEI drivers, at least I have a quick fix, touch the screen.

This problem started in early to mid-January and it appears to be a serious problem with Windows 10. I hope that Microsoft gets this fixed.

I'll update this post if I find out any more information.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi MikeMcCollister,

That's good news and thank you for sharing that information with us I hope this can benefit others and hopefully new Windows updates will be available to help solve more problems.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
MMcCo4
Beginner

Here is an update. Since I was getting occasional lockups after the laptop went to sleep, I had to use Dell's IMEI driver version 9.5.21.1754 to fix the problem.

Mike

0 Kudos