Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

High GPU usage of Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe)

Revo_not
Beginner

Hey guys,

Normally this process (Desktop Window Manager) only occupies up to 1% of GPU 0 (integrated GPU), but once I open a video or any game, no matter how many windows I'm opening, the occupation of DWM will suddenly jump to 60%, which slows down my laptop quite a lot.  In game my FPS are extremely sub-optimal because of that. I tried pretty much every solution that exists in the internet but nothing helped. Some of the things I tried so far :

Updating my iGPU drivers

Updating my dGPU drivers

Uninstalling my iGPU and dGPU drivers and reinstalling them using GURU

Uninstalling completely NVIDIA GeForce Experience

Uninstalling Intel graphics command center

Uninstalling Xbox Bar etc

Setting DWM.EXE priority to low in task manager.

Running the game in compatibility mode.

Setting turn off hard disk after to: Never (in power options)

Disabling multiple specific start up services

Creating a custom High Performance Mode in Power Options

In windows graphic settings, setting the games to high performance (in order to force them to only use the dGPU)

In NVidia control panel setting the preferred graphics processor to the high performance NVIDIA processor

Reinstalling Windows (2 times)

System model name: XMG CORE 15 (intel)

CPU: i7-10870H

iGPU: Intel UHD 630

dGPU: NVidia RTX 3060 Laptop

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Revo_not

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is the issue observed using the customized driver provided by your computer manufacturer XMG*? Please provide details and driver version as a reference.

2- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

3- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (For instance, Windows®, driver, or game updates?)

4- Please provide examples of the games and video apps that experience this behavior.

5- Provide some screenshots (or a short video if possible) showing the High GPU usage behavior:

• Windows® Task Manager > Processes tab showing the "Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe)" process.
  • Windows® Task Manager > Performance > select Intel® GPU.

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Revo_not
Beginner

Thanks for your reply,

1. Initially the issue was observed when using the drivers provided by XMG (i.e. the intel graphics drivers version 27.20.100.9219). However I tried installing the freshest intel drivers and the issue persisted. Also I tried installing the beta version of intel drivers (30.0.100.9667) and the issue still persisted

2. I am experiencing this issue from the first day I bought the Laptop (the laptop was brand new)

4. Apps that experience that behavior : OBS (Very heavily, lag and stutters are constant when recording)

VLC ( Heavily)

Chrome and Edge BUT only when I am watching videos (for example when I am using YouTube)

Netflix

Games that experience this behavior :  League of Legends and specifically the client (it's the only game I play)

5. I attached some screenshots from the processes tab of task manager. The iGPU usage goes up when opening different apps. I also attached the performance of the iGPU as demanded.

6. I did not receive an e-mail in the last two days so I am replying here! I did not attach the .txt file because of the sensitive information it contains. Shall I attach it here or shall I e-mail it somewhere

Cheers,

Revo_not

0 Kudos
Revo_not
Beginner

My reply got deleted. Meanwhile I did not receive any email from Intel's customer support.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Revo_not

Thank you for your response.

You can upload the Intel® SSU report and the screenshots here directly in the thread as it is safe. The instruction about the email was wrong and we do apologize for the misunderstanding.

Regarding your reply being deleted, did you receive a "Spam notification"? Could you please try again? Or perhaps you may upload a Word file (.doc), .PDF file, or a .zip file with the answers? Please let us know if there is any inconvenience. Thank you for your efforts.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Revo_not
Beginner

No I did not receive a Spam notification.

1. The issue was observed both when using the Intel graphics drivers provided by XMG (i.e. 27.20.100.9219) and the freshest drivers downloaded in the intel webpage (i.e. 30.0.100.9667).

2. I am experiencing this issue from the first day I bought the Laptop.

4. Apps: VLC

Chrome (but only when I watch youtube videos)

OBS (heavily, the whole laptop lags when I open it)

Games:  League of Legends (practically the only game I play)

5. The screenshots are attached bellow

6. The txt file is attached bellow

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Revo_not

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

We recently released a newer version of the Intel® generic graphics driver. In order to try to discard driver-related issues and/or issues related to previous update processes/installations, we would like to recommend trying a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using the Intel® UHD Graphics DCH Driver Version: 30.0.100.9684 (Latest).

Note: During the process, please make sure all steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

Please report back the outcome of the test. If the issue persists, please provide a new Intel® SSU report and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the test result to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine.

To save the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Revo_not
Beginner

Hey Andrew, sorry for not answering faster.

I installed the new drivers you proposed (making sure that I got to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver) and the problem persisted. I am attaching both the SSU report and the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool test result.

Cheers,

Revo_not

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Revo_not

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to test with the driver 30.0.100.9684. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Revo_not

Thank you for your response and for the reports. We reviewed the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test and we noticed the test is "Pass" and the new Intel® SSU report confirms that the current driver is the latest one (30.0.100.9684). Please allow us to review this issue further and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Revo_not

Thank you for your patience in this matter

We would like to inform you that we were unable to replicate the issue in our internal tests. We can acknowledge there is an ongoing issue with dwm.exe showing a memory leak that is being handled between Intel and Microsoft* and we are using this thread to post updates. However, this is not occurring on your system, thus we recommend reporting this directly to your laptop manufacturer (OEM) due to hybrid graphics implementation. They can debug the issue and if they confirm it they can report it to Intel along with their debug data.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this request and we recommend continue working with OEM XMG* (Schenker Technologies GmbH*). If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding and it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos