Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

How to turn off Intel Display Power Saving Technology?

SDelf
Beginner

Hi,

I've just recently bought a Dell Inspiron 7570 that sports an Intel Core i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

Unfortunately, it has the Intel Display Power Saving Technology turned on adjusting your brightness depending on what is displaying on the screen.

I would very much like to turn off this "feature" but didn't find out exactly how.

In the Graphics Panel, there is no option for this; I have also already tried to change registry values according to this thread: However, that didn't help neither.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
35 Replies
JJeb
Beginner

Hello, I have this exact same problem. In my case it is not a laptop but a desktop.

I don't see any option to disable this nonsense of adaptative brighness.

This "feature" (that is more a bug than a feature) acts usually when I'm watching a video. It seems like when the image is dark, it turns all the screen even much darker. If the ambient light at the moment is high, then I almost cannot see the movie or video. The change is not just a little or unnoticeable, it is quite a lot and changes quickly. It really makes no sense.

But THE WORST THING is that there is no way to disable it.

Please tell me what to do.

Attached are the files with the info.

TIA.

0 Kudos
JBeck12
Beginner

Thanks to carol who had posted this previously, disabling the core isolation details in win 10 miraculously transposed my thinkpad back to the world of intel integrated graphics. below is a screenshot of the fix.

0 Kudos
JJeb
Beginner

Hello, thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have those options in my Windows. I have Windows 10 version 1709.

I only have until step 3: "Update and security" but I don't have a "Windows security" option inside it or any of the others that you listed inside some options that are there.

0 Kudos
JJeb
Beginner

Is there any answer from Intel to this issue?

Do I have to open a new thread to get an answer?

0 Kudos
JBeck12
Beginner

intel's official position is that windows 10 does not support intel integrated graphics( ie 3000). end of line. i have a lenovo T420. lenovo also has not updated drivers. If it were not for the solution that worked for me, i was considering dumping my t40 for a new machine. what a waste of a great laptop.

0 Kudos
JJeb
Beginner

But I have Intel UHD Graphics 630 that comes with the i5-8400 CPU that I purchased a couple of weeks ago (and with many others CPU that were sold in the last years).

How can Windows 10 not support it?

Besides, I want an answer from someone from Intel, I can't believe that they are not supporting a new product (processor) like this.

They cannot just wash their hands and look to other side. This is clearly a bug in their driver's software and I want a fix.

I spent much money for this computer and I want it to work right. I'm tired that the screen goes so dark in fullscreen mode.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

This thread is about how to turn off/disable Intel® Display Power Saving Technology. As stated by David V., we recommend you to contact your system manufacturer so that they can replicate that issue and provide more information about it. Keep in mind that system manufacturers will contact Intel, business-to-business, to address any issue as soon as possible.

If you have issues with other Intel® Products, please submit a new question. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJeb
Beginner

Ok, I can open a new thread if necessary. I thought that if there was one already open with the same issue (even if the title is misleading) it had not point to open a new one (as in most forums are the rules).

There is not "system manufacturer" because it is a clone.

About the data needed I already provided it in my first message, I can provide more if required.

But this seems to be a common problem, not particular of this specific hardware. It can be affecting millons of computers out there. The issue is that people don't know what to do, where to go to ask for a solution. Not only in this forum but in other sites over the internet I've read many people asking about how to fix this problem.

I could go to the store where I purchased the computer, but what would be the point? They would say that if Intel does't provide a solution they can do nothing!

What I'm asking is for an option to disable this adaptive brightness (or whatever its name is).

Is that much that I'm asking for?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Edu1,

Check out this setting on Windows* Power options:
  • Windows + X
  • Power options
  • Change plan settings
  • Changed advanced power settings
  • Display
  • Enable adaptive brightness
  • Off

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JBeck12
Beginner

Edu1,

sure hope that works for you. it didnt on my T420 with intel graphics

0 Kudos
JJeb
Beginner

Hello, Wanner. Thanks for your interest.

Unfortunately I had that option already set to Off. That was one of the first things that I found on Internet when I started looking for a solution to this issue.

0 Kudos
AGate
Beginner

Hey,

Please try the following steps:

1.Click on the Start button, then search for "Power Options".

2. Click on "Change plan settings".

3. Now click on "Change advanced power settings" to launch the Power Options Advanced Settings.

4.Scroll down until you get to the "Display" section and click on the plus sign to show the submenus. Now click on the plus sign next to "Enable adaptive brightness" to expose its settings.

5.Change the settings to off.

I that does not work for you, please try this: Get into the Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel (CUI) then go to the "Power" section, after that on the left navigation panel will see an "On Battery" option click on it and will see more options on the main panel. There is an option "Display Power Saving Technology" then select "Disable" and Apply.

Please share with us the results.

Regards,

Adrian Gates

0 Kudos
JJeb
Beginner

Hello Adrian,

The first thing you ask me to do, I already did before, it is the same that "Wanner G." suggested in the previous message of 24/10/2018 14:26 in this thread.

My answer is in my last message to him (my previous message here). I have that setting already set to Off.

Your second suggestion is impossible for me to do, because I don't have a Power option in my Intel driver software (as you can see in the attached image). Perhaps I don't have that option because it is not a laptop but a desktop computer.

0 Kudos
JJeb
Beginner

I'm a bit embarrassed. I found the cause of the problem. In my case it was not the driver or Windows, it was the monitor.

When I bought this new computer, at the same time, one day I remember that I entered the monitor menu and touched some settings. I had set some energy saving feature that I didn't know it did that annoying thing. That was the problem in my case.

0 Links
0 Kudos
MHarr48
Beginner

Please explain. I am having the same problem you described, and cannot find any relief on the internet. I have a Dell XPS13 with Intel HD Graphics 520. None of the options suggested on line appear in the Intel Graphics settings or the Dell Control Panel. Exactly what you described. What's the fix?

0 Kudos