Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

I have an HP Slimline desktop (400-434) with J2900 processor. Would I be able to run at 1440p if I splurged on a new monitor? I don't want to buy a 1440p monitor only to find out I can't run it at it's native resolution! thanks

JMull16
Beginner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is possible, but I am not optimistic.

Your system has both VGA and DVI-D video connectors. The VGA connector for sure cannot handle this high a resolution. The DVI-D (Digital-only DVI) connector type that is utilized in this system would seem to indicate that it has Dual Link DVI-D support, but I was unable to find any information about this feature in the HP documentation.

You would certainly need a 1440p monitor that has a DVI-D connector in order to try this. Do you have a way to test this monitor before making the purchase? You may be able to find a local PC repair shop that will connect your system to a 1440p monitor and see if it will work...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
JMull16
Beginner

Hey, thanks very much for your time looking into that,​ Scott! I did some reading about DVI after I read your response. Then I checked and both my desktop and the 1440p monitor I was eyeing on Amazon have dual link DVI-D... So does that mean 1440p resolution should work? Or are there other factors... Is it also dependant on the GPU's processing capabilities? I can hardly find any info on Intel's "HD Graphics" on the J2900 CPU.... Just that's it's 2GB and supports DirectX 11.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Intel HD Graphics capability in the Bay Trail processors is supposed to be capable of supporting two 1080p monitors, so it shouldn't have any problems supporting similar frame rates on a single 1440p monitor. If you also connect your existing (I presume 1080p) monitor to the VGA output, then you might see a small drop in frame rates to the 1440p monitor, but I wouldn't think it enough to cause you any display issues. Again, my biggest concern was whether it truly had Dual Link DVI-D support as I could not determine this.

Also, note the following:

• Remember that the 1440p resolutions, especially those for ultra-wide, are technically non-standard. The new resolutions should (touch wood) be automatically picked up from the EDID data but, if they aren't, check if the monitor manufacturer provides an INF Update package (they may call it a "driver" package but it really isn't) that will provide the new resolutions.

• Many DVI cables only include the wires that implement Single Link DVI. You need to make sure that you have a good DVI cable (hopefully one comes with the 1440p monitor).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos