Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

I need to download a new graphics card for my windows 10 which would be best?

Ghosttier
Beginner

I just recently downloaded windows 10 on my Desktop and apparently my product is discontinued so they told me to post here. My processor is Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU. Can you give me links or some advice on how I can get a new graphics card?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do you have the processor model number? And, you cannot download a new graphics card. If you have a processor that is supported on Windows 10 (and it appears you do not), you can download the latest driver.

Otherwise, your processor and graphics are not supported on WIndows 10, and you will have to use the Microsoft generic driver.

Your only other option, if your desktop allows it, is to find a COMPATIBLE add-on graphics card (like nvidia or amd). The key word there is COMPATIBLE.

To find your processor model number, go to start, settings, system, about, and look under device specifications.

Doc

0 Kudos
Ghosttier
Beginner

@Al.HillI'm not sure what the model number is but this is what it fully says in processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This is your 2010 processor:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/42801/intel-pentium-processor-e5700-2m-cache-3-00-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

It does not have graphics. We could look for your graphics chipset, but it really does not matter. Neither the graphics chipset or the processor are supported on Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
Ghosttier
Beginner

@Al.Hill​ How come windows 10 works perfectly fine on here then.. There's no way to upgrade it?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 does not work perfectly, else you would not be looking for a graphics driver. Windows 10 will run, but it is not supported. Support includes the graphics driver, of which there is none.

Remember, you are dealing with a 10-year old processor. Lots of things have changed in a decade. Compare to the number of cell phones you have had in 10 years.

Doc

0 Kudos
Ghosttier
Beginner

@Al.Hill​ I'm only looking for a graphics driver because the game I'm trying to play says I need to update it.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, the only driver available for WIndows 10 is the Microsoft generic driver.

As I said previously, you can try and find a compatible add-on graphics card.

Doc

0 Kudos
Ghosttier
Beginner

@Al.Hill​ Can you help me find an add on one that might work? I've been trying to find one all day.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, there are too many things to consider and I do not want to be responsible for you getting the wrong card. Your desktop manufacturer should have a list of compatible components. For something this old, you may have to look on the used market.

Doc

0 Kudos