Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

I would like to force a 5.1 HDMI sound output because I have an audio splitter between my laptop and TV.

TMust2
Beginner

My TV can only play back stereo, so my laptop does not recognize it as a 5.1 device. There are similar posts in other forums, but they did not help me. Like for example here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/133846/if-anyone-is-having-trouble-with-their-tv-passing-edid-through-their-receiver-to-nvidia-cards-th/

I tried to change the EDID on my computer, but the laptop either did not recognize the HDMI as audio output or it was unchanged.

Mein Setup is as follows:

Acer Swift 3 (Intel Graphics 520) - via HDMI -> audio splitter - HDMI and Toslink -> TV (HDMI) and Receiver (Toslink)

I spent the whole day trying to find a solution and I hope you can help me.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This issue has come up before and I never saw a satisfactory solution for the issues with this configuration. The right answer is to use the technology properly: PC -> Receiver -> TV. That issue on the NVIDIA site is the result of non-spec-compliant receiver and/or TV. I get rid of non-spec-compliant receivers and TVs.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer. Reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos