Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20975 Discussions

INTEL ARC A770 16GB Missing 10Bit Screen Configuration Option

JEMedia
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is no 10Bit Screen Configuration Option yet.

Driver: 31.0.101.4255

Labels (1)
40 Replies
BearBale
New Contributor I

So is there anyone here who can represent Intel's official personnel?
Can you provide an exact time instead of 12 months?

According to the reply from intel official staff "IntelSupport-Arun" on GitHub, it is guaranteed that this problem will be fixed within 12 months at the latest, but he is the only one who said this, and I don't fully believe it

If circumstances do not change after November 2023
Is anyone from Intel officially responsible for this incident?

https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/179

@MUC @Andres_Intel 

MUC

Snipaste_2023-05-06_10-16-56.png

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

While I totally understand your frustration, asking about rolling heads is not useful. Until Andres_Intel can provide more details about his investigation we should focus on the technical aspects:

As I said before, this definitely works:

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX HDMI out >>> Club 3D CAC-1335 >>> DP1.4 cable >>> LG 27GL850 display

• Highest monitor mode: 2560 × 1440 @144Hz RGB 10-bit (68% DP bandwidth usage)
  • SDR ... OK
  • HDR ... OK

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Your configuration:

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 HDMI out >>> Club 3D CAC-1335 >>> DP1.4 cable (?) >>> Philips 328P6VUBREB display

• Highest monitor mode: 3840 × 2160 @ 60Hz RGB 10-bit ... not OK (60% DP bandwidth demand)

Could you please export the EDID as a *.bin file from CRU and attach it here. I would like to check it.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello @BearBale,

We understand your frustration with this issue, what we can let you know is that we are aware of the situation and a solution is being considered but we can't promise any outcome. We recommend keeping the drivers up to date.

For the moment there is a workaround, if you are using an Intel® CPU with Integrated Graphics and your motherboard has a native HDMI port, connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the motherboard instead of the one on the Arc GPU. Doing this will result on the Arc GPU handling the rendering of the game or other tasks you use you Arc GPU for, but the display output will be handled by the Integrated Graphics.

In case you have further questions related to this issue we recommend posting a new question, in case the owner of this thread does not answer, it will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ThomasRhin
Beginner

Unfortunately I personally don't feel that would be a good idea to tell consumers to use on board HDMI as a temporary solution. Because most motherboard manufacturers have their latest motherboards PCB layout as HDMI 2.0 compliant(for example Gigabyte). There could be more issues while connecting to a HDMI 2.1 monitors or TVs setting to 4K @120Hz .

MUC
Valued Contributor II

To date, there is no commercially available Intel integrated processor graphics that contains a physical layer (PHY) that supports the Fixed Rate Link (FRL) protocol according to HDMI 2.1. So more than 4K @ 60 Hz is basically not possible. All Intel iGPUs can only provide HDMI 2.1 TMDS (18 Gbps). 4K @ 120 Hz RGB 4:4:4 10-bit would require FRL5 40 Gbps which is supposed to arrive to market with the Meteor Lake processor generation.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello JEMedia,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Andres P.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JEMedia
New Contributor I

Hi,

I do not agree to close this issue before it is solved.

Regards

JEMedia

silicium
Novice

Hi there, 

I am a A770 user and I do share the same frustration with other guys.  10 Bit depts is supported by a large number of premium monitors nowadays. Without option of being able to adjust color depts manually really hurts the experience of using this card. Sure we can turn on the HDR in windows but lacking of essential fuction is never a good news in the long run.

However, If things can be improved in the next 6 months, as mentioned above, it is still the best outcome that we can anticipate at this moment. 

Best wishes 

Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @JEMedia,

I completely understand where you're coming from, however be aware this issue is being worked on, even if we currently don't have an ETA rest assure we are working on it. For now, if there are no further questions, we will proceed to close this thread. 

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
ThomasRhin
Beginner

I have the same frustration,too. 10bit output either from HDMI 2.0/2.1 or DP 1.4/2.0  is quite a basic job for discrete video card nowadays. Can I ask about any progress now?

SkrikInte
Novice

It's a very well written thread, well reasoned, with a lot of interesting pointers.

Why would you want to close it down? Isn't it better to keep a thread like this open so more users can add to it?

My 2 cents.

And yes, I too want to see the option to edit colour depth/format added to DisplayPort as well.

0 Kudos
SkrikInte
Novice

Just wanted to add a link to the topic where adding support to DP/USBC was (apparently) discussed first.

October 2021...

@RonaldM_Intel   wrote about Colour Depth / Format options being newly added to Intel GCC:

For now this is limited to native HDMI connection.

We are already requesting it to be added to DisplayPort (USB-C) so stay tuned

And then @Gabriela_Intel added (replying to a user):

Yes, we did submit that request to add support for DP (USB-C). The good news is that it looks like we've made some good traction and this addition is in the roadmap. However, I do want to be transparent with you and let you know that unfortunately we had to settle for adding support only on newer platforms (11th Gen Processor graphics and newer) and it may take quite some time to implement. We can post again when there's been more progress made on this.

So in Oct 2021 it was even added to a roadmap.

Would it be possible to have any news about this? Was it cancelled, postponed..?

It's starting to look a little grim...

0 Kudos
JoelWirāmuPauling

Hi there; I can confirm that this behavior exists under with the Linux drm driver as well.

Driving a Panel with Native 3840x2160 120hz  from the HDMI port with an A770 on most recent Fedora38 kernel 6.3.8-200.fc38.x86_64 and Mesa 23.2 results in inability to set SDR 4:4:4 Modes and results in a RGB 10b 4L10 setting with visible sub-sampling and chroma aberrations making it unusable for Desktop Use.

Refresh when set at 30Hz  RGB 10b 3L6 is Achievable.

No VRR modes are reported by the Display at any refresh / Resolution combination either. Panel natively supports G-Sync, VRR and AMD Freesync.

BryanFury
New Contributor I

I also could use 10 bit color setting in Windows, just like I can set it on Nvidia cards for nearly 2 decades now.

JEMedia
New Contributor I

Hi,

when I started this thread the final answer from INTEL was to expect a solution in about 6 month time.

Now that the 6 month has passed I would like to hear about the progress.

Thanks.

Juergen Engelke

JEMedia

BryanFury
New Contributor I

It's Intel mate. 0 f's are given. For me the A770 is completely unusable, I just have it as a collector edition card. Can't even use it as backup VGA, nor nothing. Nothing works on that card reliably. Maybe I have a bad unit, but since I also have AsRock A380 or something and it acts the same, I doubt it.

Intel's like AMD regarding their graphics cards, they're pretty and good on paper, but completely unusable in real life.

0 Kudos
Allerstout
Beginner

谁能解释一下使用A770 16G连接能够在ods中关闭HDR的HDR显示器时,Windows11中打开“自动管理应用的颜色”可以实现SDR 10bit呢,但是现实效果我无法评估

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Sorry mate, I'm unable to test it, since I am running on Windows 10, Windows 11 is a horrid system for stability for me 😞

0 Kudos
Yibeber
Beginner

Update the latest driver 31.0.101.5522 to support 10bit color depth

0 Kudos
zyada7med
Novice

to this day this issue is still going, and no fix was provided.