Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Info about max resolution and refresh rates and HDMI types supported for Intel HD Graphics 4000

thiagothl
Beginner

I have an Intel Core i7 3630QM, with Intel HD Graphics 4000. The graphics control panel shows at most a full hd resolution, at 60 Hz. How can I confirm that this is the max supported?

I followed this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023781/graphics.html
, but it states nothing about resolution and refresh rates on the specs for my processor:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/71459/intel-core-i73630qm-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html 

I'd like to know the max resolution, refresh rates and which HDMI version my notebook have, because I need to buy a monitor asap for it, and would like to work in FullHD, at leat 75 Hz (if possible more then 75Hz). Is it possible with this notebook? The only thing bigger than 60 Hz I found was the info on the second link above, saying that VGA refresh rate is 75 Hz... but I haven't confirm such statement anywere else. How can I get such info?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The datasheets for the 3rd gen processors don't say a dang thing about this (they sucked pretty bad back then). My memory says 60Hz is the best they could do back then, but my 65 year-old memory has its, um, moments. The DisplayPort tables show up to 85Hz being supportable, but this is based purely on data streams possible. What the clocking for VGA is has nothing to do with the question.

Ok, I gotta say it: Why go for a higher-end monitor when you have an almost 10 year-old notebook? If you are looking to future-proof, great, go for the higher-end monitor. Otherwise,...

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The datasheets for the 3rd gen processors don't say a dang thing about this (they sucked pretty bad back then). My memory says 60Hz is the best they could do back then, but my 65 year-old memory has its, um, moments. The DisplayPort tables show up to 85Hz being supportable, but this is based purely on data streams possible. What the clocking for VGA is has nothing to do with the question.

Ok, I gotta say it: Why go for a higher-end monitor when you have an almost 10 year-old notebook? If you are looking to future-proof, great, go for the higher-end monitor. Otherwise,...

...S

0 Kudos
thiagothl
Beginner

My notebook is upgraded with SSD and 32GB... so it is still doing good. Anyway I'll probably give it to my son or wife in the comming years. Till there, looks like I'll have to stick with a little more with 60 Hz than. I can accept it as an answer.

Still, a bit off from the main topic, but still related, about the VGA again, since in one of the posts above they state it suports 2048x1536 at 75 Hz, which was a surprise, I wonder how the image quality would be in a Full HD 75 Hz monitor, maybe even a QHD one. Would it make any sense to even try to test this? Or, although the VGA specs has a much higher resolution and Hz then the HDMI port, since it is VGA, is it fatted to have a much worse quality then the HDMI in this case?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@thiagothl wrote:

Would it make any sense to even try to test this? 

In a nutshell, no. 😀

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@thiagothl A ssd and 32gb memory are not indicators that you should keep the notebook.   Salvage those components and get something newer.  Your 3rd gen processor is nearly a decade old, and is not supported.   It is time for you to break the love affair with this notebook and upgrade to a newer machine.

Just an opinion.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
thiagothl
Beginner

I think it's all about being enough for the daily actitivies of each person. It indeed served me well so far, and will do for about a year more. But for my wife, it far exceeds her needs (really, by far :-)), and will do so for several years still. 

Being not suportted anymore was not an issue for me so far, since the only thing I needed so far is to substitute its AC Adapter, which there are plenty of options. This documentation issue was the only relevant thing so far, which thanks to you guys is clarified.

Regards

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Just 60Hz for digital connections I'm afraid...

For 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors the maximum supported resolutions are:

• DisplayPort 1.1 = 2560x1600 at 60 Hz
  • HDMI 1.4 = 1920x1200 at 60 Hz
  • DVI (Single-link) = 1920x1200 at 60 Hz
  • VGA = 2048x1536 at 75 Hz

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023781/graphics.html

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
In my experience with VGA, attempting anything above 1080p@60Hz results in noise, ghosting, etc. issue's.
...S
0 Kudos