Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20839 Discussions

Integrated graphics of i7 13700HX vs i9 14900HX

elsticky
Beginner

Hello,

Lately I have been trying some new laptops which I experienced eye strain/headache after usage of several hours (office work like browsing, programming etc).

I had the impression that it was mainly caused when using the dedicated Nvidia graphics card as the problem seemed not to appear when using the Intel iGPU. That was the case for two devices which had a 13th gen 13700HX processor. I returned the last of these two devices as my external monitor would always be directly connected to the Nvidia GPU.

Right now I'm using a device (ASUS G18 Strix) which has a 14th gen 14900HX processor. I specifically looked for this one as when using the USB-C output,  my external monitor is connected to the Intel GPU. Though it looks like I'm still experiencing some discomfort now. So I'm wondering of the iGPU of the 14900HX differs in some way to the 13700HX iGPU? Or should the output be exactly the same?

I also read a lot about 'dithering' causing eye strain/headache but I'm not sure if the iGPU dithers or not and if this is the cause.

The external monitor I'm mentioning I used 2.5 years without complaints.

Thank you for any feedback.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hi elsticky,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

For the differences, you can refer to the provided link to compare the GPU specifications between the two processors. The sole distinction lies in the Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency.

For us to better understand your concern, could you provide additional information about the specific steps or adjustments you've made to improve your graphics performance?

Awaiting your reply. 

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
elsticky
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. If only the Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency differs between these two iGPUs my guess is that there should be no difference in the output that could cause headache/strain? Or is there a possibility this higher frequency does cause symptoms for some people?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi elsticky,

Good day!

I am sending this follow-up regarding the information we request. If you need more time on this, please let me know.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi elsticky,

Thanks for your reply. 

I'll check internally to further investigate your concern. I'll get back to you as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi elsticky,

Thanks for your patience.

I understand your concerns regarding eye strain and headaches while using different laptops with Nvidia and Intel integrated GPUs (iGPUs). It's important to note that while the iGPUs in the 13th gen 13700HX and the 14th gen 14900HX processors may have some differences, these are generally related to performance rather than the fundamental way they display images.

The Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency is one aspect that can differ between iGPUs, but it primarily affects performance capabilities rather than the quality or characteristics of the display output. Therefore, it's unlikely that this difference alone would cause eye strain or headaches. 

Regarding dithering, it's a technique used to simulate more colors than a panel can physically display. It can sometimes cause visual artifacts that some people are sensitive to. Intel's iGPUs do utilize dithering, especially for displays with limited color depth panels. However, whether dithering is active and to what extent it might affect you can depend on several factors, including the specific laptop and monitor configuration.

Other factors that can contribute to digital eye strain include screen brightness, contrast, flicker rate, blue light emission, and even the distance and angle from which you view the screen. If you've been using your external monitor without issues for years, it might be worth considering if any of these other factors have changed with your new setup.

If you continue to experience discomfort, it might be beneficial to consult with an eye care professional to rule out any underlying vision problems and to discuss your symptoms in the context of your usage of these devices. Additionally, they might provide personalized recommendations to alleviate the strain, such as adjusting display settings or using specialized eyewear.

Concerning dithering, you can check our How To Disable Dithering on Intel® Integrated Graphics article

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi elsticky,

Good day!

I'm following up to inquire whether you have had the chance to review our prior correspondence. If you have, kindly acknowledge receipt and do not hesitate to reach out if there are any aspects you'd like to discuss or require further explanation on.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
elsticky
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. It looks like the symptoms are starting to ease. I'm still unsure why I feel discomfort but I hope it just solves itself after time. If not I'll have another eye care consult like you suggested. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi elsticky,

Appreciate your reply.

It may be beneficial to contact Asus, your device's manufacturer, to check if they provide any tools to manage dithering. It would also be advantageous to determine if there are any particular settings, utilities, or updates that you could apply to modify or manage the dithering effect.

We trust that you will find a resolution to the issue promptly.

Please note that for additional information or support, you should initiate a new inquiry, as this thread will no longer be under observation.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos