Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20647 Discussions

Intel 4600 igpu + Nvidia optimus = nightmare? Need answers about hdmi and gpu autoselection

SPeti1
Novice

Hello,

Let's start off by saying that I deeply regret buying an optimus system: a Lenovo Y50 with intel's 4600 igpu + optimus nvidia 860m.

My main problem with it is that by design, the i4600 gpu can't be disabled, and that every image is processed through it.

So far, the main problem I've had:

- Some games can't play fullscreen (Dragon Age Inquisition)

- The HDMI port is wired to intel's gpu so I can't play in stereoscopic 3D on my HDTV.

- GPU autoswitching seems random. Chrome gets no acceleration / Internet explorer works perfectly (urgh!). Decoding 4K content is always a hit and miss, and I can never tell which gpu is used (intel or nvidia).

All my drivers are up to date. So my only question is:

Are these issues fixable by drivers updates in the future, or are they just design flaws (no 3D over hdmi).

Bonus question: what is this weird intru3D thing from intel?? It mentions 3D gaming but I can't seem to understand what it really is...

Thank you for any insightful answer.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi SneakyLittleman,

As per your description, it seems your system is a hybrid graphics system. Most of times (not to say always) Intel® HD graphics controller is used as main to handle the low performance task and when using high performance applications the dedicated graphics card will take action.

Since your computer uses two graphics controllers there must be software to configure this setup, so check on the system or you can also contact the Computer Manufacture or Nvidia for them to help you configuring the software.

You can download our latest driver at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3720 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3720

It is important to say that our driver is generic software for OEM systems and it is important to get the driver from the Computer Manufacture since it contains special features and /or limitations.

Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology provides stereoscopic 3-D Blu-ray* playback in full 1080p resolution over HDMI* 1.4 and premium audio so you must have a HDMI 1.4 cable and when playing on PC games use compatible hardware and active shutter 3D glasses.

Kevin M