Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel 630 UHD Graphics - BSOD on Boot - XPS 9570

AVisi1
Beginner

Hi Guys, I have a strange thing happening with my XPS 9570 and I am seeking some help. Been at this for almost a week now and can't find a fix.

When I boot up & sign in within the first 60 seconds of on-time I get a BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR caused by ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1220)

If I boot up again and in the first few seconds go to Device Manager and disable Intel 630 UHD Graphics the laptop will stay on and no BSOD occurs, the pc is then running on Microsoft Basic Graphics. If I later re-enable Intel graphics and run for example Chrome to watch a video within 20 seconds the system locks up and BSOD is back.

I primarily use my system for video editing and I have had times where after about 20min I re-enable Intel Graphics and run Premiere Pro the laptop will stay on and run as normal. I have also managed to do 3 separate 4K renders with system utilizing both UDH graphics and NVIDIA during render - as normal. After the render and with premiere still running if I go open chrome and run a 4K youtube video the BSOD occurs again. 

So it's a bit random in how it occurs but it's not stable and only fully works with UHD graphics disable, if I re-enable later it's a guessing game when it will crash again.

BSOD DUMPS from WhoCrashed are here http://txt.do/1ornk

2 days ago it was hal.dll & pshed.dll together, now it's only ntoskrnl.exe

Things I have done so far:

• Run Diagnostics about 15 times - Dell & Intel tools, BIOS, SupportAssist OS, all came back green. Actually the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool run perfectly, gave green light and then right after BSOD 
  • Reverted BIOS to 1.12 and 1.10.1, didn't do much. 
  • Disable Turboboost and also Restore factory BIOS settings. 
  • Clone the system to a new NVMe, same BSOD
  • Fresh install on a new NVMe, all new drivers from Dell support site, worked fine until I got to the 630 UHD drivers and the same BSOD came up.
  • Factory Image Windows restore on a clean disk, same BSOD after about 2 min.
  • Clean all graphic drivers using DDU in safe mode and try 6 different versions of Intel & Nvidia drivers oldest, newest and a mix of 2018 & 2019 versions all from Dell site.
  • Open it up, disconnect the battery, clean and check fans, swap ram sticks around, nothing changed.

I have been able to do all this by running it and disabling Intel graphics on boot. 

Possible Causes: Not sure but when it started happening on Monday windows update had 1909 in the queue and net framework update in the queue as well, both failed to install and are still hanging there, I paused updates. There was also a Geforce Experience drivers update that I ran, but then reverted back when the BSOD started happening. 

I re-pasted the laptop in June and it has been spot on for the last 10 months of use, not much has changed. Never over or underclocked. My research so far points to possible hardware failure but I'm not sure as I mentioned the system runs Premiere Pro and renders videos as it did before, so it's on and off working. I think it could be something to do with BIOS, boot voltages or throttling but my knowledge stops there so no idea what it could be.

Could anyone help or point me in the right direction. I'm dealing with Dell Support but they are a bit slow in getting back to me so I'm trying what I can. Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact DELL for assistance with their laptop. They are solely responsible for your support.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

And, unless they tell you otherwise, you should only use driver releases provided by Dell.

...S

0 Kudos
AVisi1
Beginner

I wanted to update this post, Dell warranty services technician came in and replaced the motherboard today, happy to report the issue is gone running smoothly now.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos