Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21164 Discussions

Intel Arc BSOD or freeze after update

Roniek
Beginner

i have Asus zenbook pro 15,  UP6502ZD.
intel arc A370M.

since the last update [31.0.101.4314], whenever I use adobe products when hardware acceleration is enabled, it doesn't take too long for the computer to get either BSOD with error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT or just to completely freeze.

(to be exact, I haven't update my graphic driver for a while, the last update was when i bought my pc and it was the update provided in the ASUS website 1631 so I'm only bringing this up now, but I also tested some older versions of the drivers and the last one that doesn't crash is [31.0.101.3490])

after a bit of research online I downgraded my driver for iGpu (only) to an old version, the one that windows update "recommends" [30.0.101.1631], and now the errors are much less frequent, but still exists. 

interestingly enough, now it only happens if I minimize the adobe program (usually after effects but also happens with premiere and photoshop) or don't use it for a couple of minutes, so my guess is that it may have something to do with power saving for gpu when app is not using it, and with some inconsistencies between iGpu and dGpu. [some guy on online says it has something to do with Intel SpeedStep and the fact that this specific model don't have the option, so he customized his bios and it worked for him, but i don't know how to do it or what does it mean or even if it safe].

Anyway, I've talked to Asus support and even took the laptop to a lab, and they confirmed that there is no hardware damage, so it must be a driver issue.
Furthermore, they told me that they don't provide further updates to the GPU and all future updates should go through intel.

I've seen a lot [!] of people online complain about this sort of problems with this specific laptop model. 
the thing is, that I don't want to downgrade my dGpu driver to [30.0.101.1631] (and solve the problem completely) because the there were some very important updates along the way that increases the performance about 70%.   

I've given as much as information as I have to offer. any help will be welcomed. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Roniek,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities and opening a new thread.

We understand you have also opened a (chat/email/phone) support case with us, so, in this case, will continue to help you through that channel now. We will therefore close this community case. Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel, in case that you have further questions, please open a new thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos