Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21135 Discussions

Intel Arc equivalent for NvOptimusEnablement and AmdPowerXpressRequestHighPerformance?

levicki
Valued Contributor I

Software developer here, asking how to force an application to run on dedicated Arc GPU instead on integrated CPU graphics?

AMD and NVIDIA solution is simple:

extern "C"
{
  __declspec(dllexport) unsigned long NvOptimusEnablement = 0x00000001;
  __declspec(dllexport) int AmdPowerXpressRequestHighPerformance = 1;
}

You export these symbols from your executable and you are done.

What are we supposed to do with Intel Arc in order to force dGPU over iGPU?

4 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Good question. To better assist you, kindly please share the following:

1. It would really help us if we can get more information about your system. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.htmlAfter running it, you will be given an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply. This way, we can determine if your system is compatible
  2. Just to confirm, are you looking for specific troubleshooting or an executable file to complete this step?

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hi levicki,

We were just looking for an update regarding the information we requested. Kindly please let us know about this information so we can identify the next steps that needs to be taken to solve this issue. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hi levicki,

As we have not heard a response in the past few days, we will proceed in closing this case. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Hello Ramyer,

Sorry for the late response, I had some health issues.

As I said in my post, other video card vendors (AMD, NVIDIA) provide a software mechanism to mark an application executable file so that Windows operating system executes its graphical operations on a dedicated GPU (i.e. the one inserted into a PCI-Express slot) instead of on a built-in GPU (i.e. the one inside an Intel CPU).

My question was if I have an Intel CPU with integrated graphics and an Arc based video card, how can I mark my application executable so that it uses Arc GPU instead of integrated GPU?

It is a question for Intel software engineers working on Arc GPU drivers for Windows, I don't expect regular support to be able to answer it.

0 Kudos