Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Intel Atom Z2760 GMA driver update for windows 10 - mixed messages from intel - please provide driver!

HOlle
Novice

Dear Intel people- reg the problem::

Windpws10,"Driver availability for the graphics controller on the processor model Z2760"

I find it quite unprofessional and very frustrating that Intel communicates completely different messages via different media channels:

In this forum (see /message/320186# 320186 Intel Atom and Windows 10) you state development of the driver is not done by Intel - whereas via twitter Intel states that the driver developement is actually onggoing:

https://twitter.com/LeCoeurSec/status/626635024369119232 Kristijan on Twitter: "@IntelSupport Hi, hello. Just a quick question. Will Atom Z2760 ever support Windows 10 ( graphic…

"https://twitter.com/IntelSupport @IntelSupport Hi, hello. Just a quick question. Will Atom Z2760 ever support Windows 10 ( graphics medila accelerator in particular)? -

IntelSupport@IntelSupport https://twitter.com/IntelSupport/status/626644277100195840 30. Juli https://twitter.com/LeCoeurSec @LeCoeurSec Oh yes!! We will have it soon on our website. Pls feel free to ping us for any help.- AT"

Also, reg. ownership of the driver-update: The current windows 8.1 GMA driver is copyrighted by Intel (Version 9.14.3.1177) - how can you state that further development is owned by the device manufacturer, i.e. Samsung??

It is Intels responsibility to develop the GMA driver update, since Intel developed and copyrighted the 8.1 Version!

Pls respond with a throughly researched answer (i.e. pls no reference to a not updated compatibiltiy list, which does not even state Win 10 for the entire Atom Family, like in other answers like here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems) - we all are waiting eagerly on this driver to be able to update our tablets properly to Win10.

I think you owe it to all the early adaptors, who bought the 1st available Intel Windows Tablet, so that they can use the intended update for their Tablets,

Thank you.

Heiner

59 Replies
JLeun7
Beginner

Unfortunately I got the following information... Bad luck

0 Kudos
DPokr1
Novice

So, what do we have for now.

Official page states:

Windows Update states:

Which is apparently not the case since there are some issues with the driver on Windows 10.

And we have a bunch of contradictory responses from Intel reps: whether it will be supported (definitely) or probably will be supported (keep checking download sections) or probably will be supported by manufactures (go check their sites) or Intel yet to decide or definitely won't be supported at all because Z2760 is incompatible with Windows 10.

I just can't figure that out - is it so difficult to check this out with engineering team for sure and make a bold final post?

UPD: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems has been updated, no more Windows 10 love for Clover trail. That's all folks.

0 Kudos
TGale1
Novice

Does anyone know what in the hardware stop Z2700 series from being compatible with Win 10?

Why Intel behaves this way?

I'd be OK (not happy but OK) if they told us, "Guys, we would love to help you out, but the chip can not run/is not compatible with W10 because of....".

Right now this looks like a lot of bull...hit!!!

Chip could support Win 10 because even with old drivers it "almost" works. And Win 10 requirements are not that big since it will run almost on anything (including cheap ARM phones and RaspberryPI). So my only conclusion is... they already got our money and the feedback from our beta testing their first SoC of this type, so.. no reason to spend even a $1 on a new driver for new system.

We all love their products, so we will now rush to the shops to buy new toys. And since AMD offer nothing in this segment... well it is not like we have choice.

Am I right allan_intel or can you finally share some answers to - why Z2760 can not run Win 10 properly?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

At this point the latest Operating System and drivers we have available for this graphics controller is Windows 8.1. The information in the website was incorrect but now it has been changed to show the correct information.

Here you can check it:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?wapkw=cs-034343 http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?wapkw=cs-034343

Kevin M

0 Kudos
TGale1
Novice

Tanks for reply @kevin_intel

Since you were kind enough to reply instead of ignoring us perhaps I could ask you for two more answers (considering that you only stated what we know already).

1. What is wrong with Z2760 chip that it is not compatible with Windows 10. Is it really a hardware problem that the correct drivers can not be created?

2. Why all this confusion over fairly simple thing - are new drivers coming or not - that Intel sends out so many mixed messages?

Looking forward to your reply!.

0 Kudos
WRose1
Beginner

We had an acronym many years ago when I worked for Intel...GYAT: Get Your Act Together.

Given this, Intel needs to provide clarity re: GMA 3600 and Windows 10 support: yes or no. If yes, great. Timeframe?

Dr WLR

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi wlr,

The Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator for Intel® Atom™ Processor Z2700 Series is not compatible with Microsoft® Windows 10. It is necessary to use the generic driver of Microsoft® Windows update tool.

Supported Operating Systems

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?wapkw=cs-034343# atom http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?wapkw=cs-034343# atom

Mike C

0 Kudos
TGale1
Novice

INTEL REPS - why do you treat us like idiots?!?!?!?!?!?!

We know it is not compatible - you have already told us that!!! We want to know how and why!

Generic drivers? Awesome - you only forgot to mention that some ot or hybrids features will not work anymore.

Why is it so hard to get straight answers from you guys - it is like talking to my bank or mobile provider.... frustrating.

Are you reading those answers from the book?

Question:

has anyone tried this procedure and what was the out come (second page): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/intel-does-not-support-windows-10-on-atom-z2760/d8786f1f-87a7-43f6-a51e-bc1cc3455fd6?page=2 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/intel-does-not-support-windows-10-on-atom-z2760/d87

BTW INTEL: If your Z2760 chip is not compatible with Win10... how come it can work under generic drivers prepared by Microsoft? In my language if something is not compatible, like every second generation of Intel processor with older motherboards it DOES NOT WORK AT ALL!

0 Kudos
DPokr1
Novice

Frankly, Windows Update finds and installs by itself the driver of ver 9.14.3.1177 which (despite it is WDDM 1.2 driver) has issues with Windows 10 rendering. So I can assume that the driver somewhat reports to the OS about it supports capabilities (implicitly or explicitly) which in fact it can't handle. I know it is oversimplification, but at the end of the day - isn't it required for drivers to be WHQL certified to fully support MS specifications? How it comes that Windows use WDDM 1.2 driver in a wrong way, forcing it to do what it simply can't?

I can see the only explanation: the driver was originally half-backed, implementing only those functions (which actually are supported in bare metal) that are required by Windows 8.1, and the rest was set on a free ride. Now the chip is discounted and no one will ever bother to close the gap with the rest of specification, i.e. routing not supported by GMA requests to CPU, or mark the driver as explicitly not compatible with Windows 10 and revoke it from WU.

That is my point.

0 Kudos
WRose1
Beginner

The Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator for Intel® Atom™ Processor Z2700 Series is not compatible with Microsoft® Windows 10.

I know. The question is if Intel has plans / timetable for Windows 10 support.

Thank-you for your quick reply.

Dr Wayne L Rosen

ex Intel product marketing / technical marketing

0 Kudos
TGale1
Novice

http://betanews.com/2015/08/19/intel-to-touch-first-early-adopters-no-windows-10-for-you/ Intel to touch-first early adopters: No Windows 10 for you!

No, they will not update drivers because:

1). Z2760 is not compatible with Windows 10 and unable to run it

2). It is up to device manufacturer (like Asus, Dell, HP, etc.) to create drivers for Intel SoC Atom

Don't forget to run to the shop and buy brand new PC/laptop/tablet with Intel Inside!

0 Kudos
TKlei2
Beginner

Good news, for what it is worth!

Samsung customer support in the Netherlands (Michelle) wrote me today to say that she knows Samsung is working on the update but that she couldn't tell when it will be available. I am advised to check Samsung.com reguarly.

If Samsung thinks it can make my 'Ativ Tab 3' (that is not even two years of age) work with the Z2760 with Win10, so will the others.

We have to keep the pressure on them though.

Greetings, Ton Klein.

0 Kudos
RConr2
Beginner

Thank you all for participating in this active community.

Finally I got Windows 10 working on a friend's Samsung Ativ Tab 3.

I found the solution on a German page http://www.drwindows.de/windows-10-desktop/92134-intel-graphics-media-accelerator-nicht-kompatibel.html http://www.drwindows.de/windows-10-desktop/92134-intel-graphics-media-accelerator-nicht-kompatibel.html

There CarlosDegos says: "Problem solved: It worked with MS's MediaCreatorTool. Intel's graphics driver made no problem.

I downloaded Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and followed the instructions. And it worked.The installation made no problems this time.

(I am so happy. I tried other ways before to install Win10, but the installation always stopped at one point and restored Win8.1).

The Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver's version in Win10 is: 9.14.3.1177

0 Kudos
TKlei2
Beginner

Hi Coro,

Thanks for joining in.

I would like to know if you have run into grapical issues on your friends AtivTab3?

eg. Mentioned issues on this forum before were:

"In some apps, and this includes the new Microsoft Edge browser, parts of the UI do not load correctly. The are either missing, or the wrong colour which makes them impossible to read. When I uninstall the Graphic Media Accelerator driver, the bug goes away. However without a proper display driver, the graphic performance is very low."

Hope to hear from you!

0 Kudos
BVerk
Beginner

And the rendering problems of the UI parts in Edge and apps? Do those still exist?

Problems I encounter while using 9.14.3.1177 in Windows 10 on my Iconia W3 are:

• Edge not rendering UI parts correctly
  • Various apps not rendering text (like the News and Mail app)
  • Lag while using the tablet in portrait mode

It makes the tablet partially unusable. I've downgraded it to Windows 8.1 and now all my problems are gone.

0 Kudos
TGale1
Novice

Unfortunately this is not real solution to the problem.

We (in general) do not ask how to install W10 - this with MCT is not a problem.

We ask for new driver graphic driver for all those devices running Z2760 as so far 100% I have read (regarding different devices with this chip) in the internet report issues.

So not everything is working up to 100%.

Can one of you guys setup FB profile where we could gather users of 2760 devices from all over the world - there must be a lot of us with this problem.

0 Kudos
RConr2
Beginner

Hi Cynictob,

thank you for your question. Indeed, when we started Win10 for the first time, some UI elements of Edge were not visible, like the back/forward, favorites, hub, notes, share and more actions-buttons. But those invisible buttons were usable. The colors were normal.

I also noted that in desktop mode some elements of the start menu were invisible.

All these issues were resolved after Win10 had downloaded and installed some updates.

There is only issue which we noticed remaining until now. The on-display-keyboard appears whenever necessary in tablet mode, but not in desktop mode.

Concerning the display performance: Everything seems normal to us. (My friend uses it only for browsing, emails and some small office tasks.)

0 Kudos
RConr2
Beginner

Hi ASUS_fan,

in addition to what I replied to Cynicotb, I did not notice any issues with the mail or news app.

I hope it stays like that. Fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
TGale1
Novice

You mus be clearly mistaken!!!! Earth is flat!!!!!

We have here clear statements from Intel that:

- Z2760 is not compatible with Win10 - so you se, that what you just described is impossible!

- it is device manufacturer that should prepare drivers for incompatible chip - again - you wrote about Win10 updates that have helped.

I am very happy that it is all working for you however I for one would prefer to get a proper driver first.

I want to know that battery life of my Vivo Tab will not get screwed

I want to know, that whole system will remain stable

What if it is all good now and after a month (when you can not do roll back anymore) upcoming Win10 updates will make your device unusable

We need to get a new, updated driver or at least Intel could state - what is wrong with Z2760 and why is it incompatible with new Windows. So far they are only showing how respectful they are to their customers by completely ignoring our fairly simple questions 😞

0 Kudos
BVerk
Beginner

And if you close and reopen the News app? Could you also try using the tablet in portrait mode and post if you got low fps too? Because if a clean installation fixes the graphical glitches, I'll try that too. Windows 10 has worked perfectly on my tablet, besides from the graphical glitches in the apps I use.

0 Kudos
MB7
Beginner

UI fix on a Dell Latitude 10 STS2 Atom Z2760:

1) Disable your Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) via Device Manager

2) In W10 Display Settings go to Advanced Settings "Clear Type text" and uncheck or turn off Clear Type.

3) Go through the Clear Type setup pages (Next) and Finish.

4) Enable GMA in Device Manager.

5) Get reading glasses, if needed, fire up Cortana and see if her UI appears on the left. Right clicking on the Explorer taskbar icon also pops up a now readable menu of places visited.

Granted you may not have to do the disable-enable GMA stuff, but I do it to just make W10 sort of reset itself. I haven't tested it after a reboot, where you may have to do it all over again, and I haven't explored every app or function out there. All I know is that it works for my immediate needs. Finally, if some overpaid Intel tech wants to dive into the Clear Type/Windows 10 issue, by all means start earning your pay!

0 Kudos