Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel Corporation - Display - 27.20.100.8681 video randomly won't start to play until I reboot

devnullius
New Contributor I

Since October or so, I have a very stubborn problem. When I want to START playing a video, it won't start. It will look like a browser problem but it isn't. The same problem happens when playing a video with a stand-alone program. Nothing will start playing until I reboot. Then, all is ok until the next random occurrence. IF a video is playing, I never have problems. It's only starting a new video that... Sigh.

I will update this article with steps I take.

First step (for the X-th time) is going to Device Manager and uninstall the video driver for the Intel(R) UHD-Graphics 605. I'll have Microsoft Update update the driver because of another bug: Intel Driver & Support Assistant resulting in an endless scan? - Intel Community

When it (= videos not starting) happens again, I'll uninstall the MS Update driver and manually download Intel's installer. I had it fixed for a while, so I suppose that might help again. Still, I felt it was time to report this too.

Thanks 🙂

Devnullius

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello devnullius, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link

3. Is this behavior happening since you updated the driver to the version 27.20.100.8681?  

4. Is it possible for you to provide a video of the behavior? You can upload the video to this thread or use a platform and provide a public link for that video.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

devnullius
New Contributor I

It happened again today: so here's the logs attached. I'm also still unable to run the update tool.

Appreciated!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello devnullius,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

devnullius
New Contributor I

Yes, will do but for now the problem only occurred once since I posted. I'll update as soon as I have something to report. For now I'm trying to get the Update Tool to work first and see what drivers that installs. Thank you, appreciated! 🙂

0 Kudos
devnullius
New Contributor I

... and the control panel logs...

0 Kudos
devnullius
New Contributor I

PS: the problems started on their own. Until they started, I just used the Intel Update tool whenever it found new drivers. It never failed me up to last month. 

Because the scan tool isn't working, I manually downloaded the latest intel drivers. Which didn't work out for me and I reversed back to Microsoft's choice.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello devnullius,  

Thank you for your response. 

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you. 

If this will take you some time, then you can always create a new thread in the future if you need further assistance.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello devnullius,   

Thank you for the update. 

Please provide the following details: 

1. I checked the Intel® SSU and could not find your system model, can you provide your full system model number? 

2. Can you provide a video of the behavior? You can upload it here using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach option, or use a platform like YouTube* and provide a public link. 

3. Have you checked with the system manufacturer (OEM) to see if they have updates for your system? Sometimes these problems happen because of the use of the Intel generic drivers and not the customized from the OEM. 

4. Try these steps to the letter to perform a clean installation: 

1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30066/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers  

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel Programs and Features

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
  2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
  3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
  4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 

8. Restart the computer. 

9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
devnullius
New Contributor I

Yeah I've been through most of that. It doesn't help. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello devnullius,   

Thank you for your reply.  

We would like to have more details about this problem, please provide the following: 

1. What browsers and applications have you tested with this behavior? Please provide the name and version.  

2. Will this happen with every single video in every single browser, application, and/or local videos?  

3. I checked the Intel® SSU and could not find your system model, can you provide your full system model number?  

4. Have you checked with the OEM to see if they have updates for your system? Sometimes these problems happen because of the use of the Intel generic drivers and not the customized from the OEM. 

5. Can you provide a video of the behavior? You can upload it here using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach option, or use a platform like YouTube* and provide a public link.  

We would like to have these details to see if we can replicate this behavior internally   

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello devnullius,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello devnullius,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos