Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance and optimization
17794 Discussions

Intel Driver Support Assistant Keeps Prompting for Same Update

gregbrikitis
Beginner

For months I keep getting prompted by the Intel Driver Support Assistant Windows program that I have a new update available for my Intel UHD Graphics 630 card to driver version 27.20.100.9664 when it redirects me to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html, but checking in Device Manager I already have the driver, published by Intel.

It also prompts me that if I have an OEM driver installed (like from Dell), then to use that instead; if that is the case, do I need the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed at all? Dell and Windows Update report no new drivers/updates available. The Intel DSA is the latest version.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Intel Driver Site Advising to Use Dell OEM Driver.jpg

Intel Driver Site Prompting Update Available.jpg

Intel Driver Version Showing Already Installed.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel

gregbrikitis, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, you mentioned "It also prompts me that if I have an OEM driver installed (like from Dell), then to use that instead", that is correct, we always recommend to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform, that should be the proper driver for your system. The Intel® drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific platform.

"do I need the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed at all?" That is actually up to you, many customers prefer to update the drivers manually others prefer to use the tool, but as long as you keep checking the website from the OEM for updates on drivers that are done normally every few months you can always uninstall the Intel® Driver Support Assistant and keep updating the drivers manually.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

gregbrikitis, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, you mentioned "It also prompts me that if I have an OEM driver installed (like from Dell), then to use that instead", that is correct, we always recommend to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform, that should be the proper driver for your system. The Intel® drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific platform.

"do I need the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed at all?" That is actually up to you, many customers prefer to update the drivers manually others prefer to use the tool, but as long as you keep checking the website from the OEM for updates on drivers that are done normally every few months you can always uninstall the Intel® Driver Support Assistant and keep updating the drivers manually.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

gregbrikitis
Beginner

Albert,

Thank you for the reply and information. I check regularly with Dell Update, or it will prompt me. I will uninstall the Intel DSA.

Thank You,

Greg

Alberto_R_Intel

gregbrikitis, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

"I will uninstall the Intel DSA", perfect, excellent, we completely understand your decision and respect it as well. As long as you keep checking the manufacturer's website for updates there will be no problems at all with your machine in regards to drivers.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.