Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel GPU Disappears! I am using i5-8400. This processor has UHD Graphics 630. I am not able to use it. It disappears from my PC. This happened after I installed MSI GTX 1650, I disabled Intel Graphic Processor.

blam
Beginner

0 Kudos
7 Replies
blam
Beginner

and, now I could not find it and to enable the Intel GPU for me. Any idea?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In Desktop systems, the BIOS, by default, will disable the processor's graphics engine if it detects that an add-in graphics card is present. If the engine is disabled this way, it will typically also be hidden from the O/S (Windows, Linux, etc.). It is possible, however, to changes the BIOS Configuration such that the processor's graphics engine is always enabled (i.e. regardless of whether an add-in graphics card is present).

Ok, I've told you what to do if you want the processor's graphics engine to always be enabled, but you have to ask whether you should actually do this. The answer is normally No, as reasons for needing the engine enabled are few. The most common reason is so that you can utilize more monitors than the two/three that the add-in Desktop Graphics Card supports. There may also be cases where you need to do this in order to enable support for DRM within the chipset (Intel Management Engine), but this is typically not necessary as many add-in Desktop graphics cards provide this capability themselves.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
blam
Beginner

HI ...S, I tried, but I was not able to find the processor's graphics engine from BIOS. The only GPU that I found is the add-on GTX card.

I thought I would not need the CPU embedded GPU with my new card. With GTX 1650, my computer would not start after a long sleep. I am thinking to use my CPU embedded GPU as it was fine. May be I should try to solve the sleep issue; but this is not simple either.

Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you can't find the graphics settings in you motherboard's​ BIOS Setup, then call your motherboard vendor's support and have them explain it to you.

I​f you want to use the on-chip graphics engine, remove the add-in graphics card. This should automatically reenable the on-chip graphics engine.

...S

0 Kudos
blam
Beginner

Shoud I contact the motherboard vendor or MSI as my next move? May be both.

I'll try to remove the add-in grahic card. Good suggestion. Hopefully the embedded GPU would come back automatically.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, MSI *is* the motherboard vendor/manufacturer.

...S​

0 Kudos
blam
Beginner

Hi ....S,u

I use ASUS motherboard. I thought I should contact MSI. But I ok now with your suggestion.

I unplugged my add-in and got back my Interl GPU. After that, I plugged back my add-in GTX. Now I got both back. This is what I want.

It had been bother for a while. Thank you for your suggestion.

0 Kudos