Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel Graphics 620 error (code 43)

CJone12
Beginner

I noticed that I can't adjust the display brightness of my new X407UA laptop. I tried doing this using the function keys initially, then through display settings. I tried updating the driver, which revealed to me that the driver/device has an error and isn't working. I've checked a few things on the forums and decided to start my own thread just in case it's slightly different to other people's issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you have this capability originally and then seem to lose it? In laptop designs, it is important to stick with the drivers that are provided by the laptop manufacturer, as they may have been modified by the manufacturer to support specific features and/or design nuances of the laptop. Updating with the generic drivers found on the Intel site can cause unexpected problems and disable these unique features. As an example, in cases where a laptop has support for both Intel and NVIDIA (or Intel and AMD) graphics, the Intel driver will likely have been modified to support switching between the two graphics solutions. Replacing the Intel driver with the generic drivers on the Intel website could cause this display switching feature to not work. Now, do not take this to mean that a laptop with only Intel graphics will not have a modified driver; in many cases, it may be responsible for features such as this brightness capability.

Hope this helps,

...S

CJone12
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info and the fast response, that's really helpful!

The issue was straight out of the box and I feel like some upgraded features not working pales in comparison with not being able to adjust the screen brightness. So what I've done is gone to your website and downloaded the most recent drivers, then installed that. After a restart everything seems to work normally. I can now change the brightness and the "night mode" (blue light filter) feature is working too. If I come across any graphics issues, I'll just assume that it's my fault for installing the latest driver instead of sticking with the one the laptop manufacturer had installed. There is only one graphics card, but as you say, there may be other reasons beyond my understanding that they chose the driver version.

Sorry if the terminology in this message doesn't quite make sense, I'm not well versed in these things

Thanks again for your help!

Chris

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You did just fine. I am glad it is working for you.

...S

0 Kudos